MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two 5 gallon jugs filled with water, not thick plastic but the flimsy stuff like a milk jug. I thought about putting these front to back of each other, and put them at about 25yds. I just found some federal tactical HST ammo, and wanted to try it out. Would this be enough water to stop the slug to get a good expanded bullet?? These jusgs are about 12"x12"x 20" high. what do you think. Will I need more jugs??

·
Registered
403 Posts
I would put two of them up. That should stop it. It may not even reach the second jug. Depends on what caliber and bullet weight you are using.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Gonig to do the same thing with my 40 cal 180gr, HSTs. I am gonig to shoot three kitty litter jugs about ten yards so I can get two shots in. Going to make ear rings for the wife :wink:
Hope they turn out like the pictures

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
joe7170 said:
sorry, .40 S&W. I belive 165gr.

It takes 3 to 4 one gallon milk jugs to catch a Winchester Ranger 155 gr. JHP slug which is around 24 + inches of water. Yielded .735 dia. slug.

:twisted:

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
joe7170 said:
with the litter in them????? damn my cat would be pissed!!

lmao
No Ill use water,litter cost too much now days
But hey, I bet it would work good come to think off it
Hmmmmm

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
If I understand the jugs you are referring to, my guess is you will be fine with 3 of them based on the water jugs I've shot in the past in that caliber. Why 25 yards?

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
Everything you wanted to know from The Box O' Truth!

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot13.htm

Look around while you are on that website, you can spend an entire evening just on that website checking out all the things he's tested!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I thought about doing something like that with normal milk jugs but freezing them and putting a couple back to back.

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Freezing them does nothing. The ice shatters and breaks apart when shot and that's it. Shooting into water will open up your JHP so you can make earrings for your wife. 8) But not exactly a great way to test ammo since everything opens up and looks good when shot into water.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
no reason for 25yds, just a number off the top of my head. I have shot these jugs in the past with .223 and 30-06. of course they explode, but it's fun to see the damage it does.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, took the new M&P 40 out to strech her legs for the first time. Not too bad, but I need alot of work, as this is my first pistol, and I'm used to rifles. Took the box of HST along to do a function test shot 10rds functions fine. Shot the water jugs, it pretty much oblitterated the first jug, and went in the second and left a perfect imprint on the other side of the jug, but did not penetrate. Perfect speciman of a HST coolest looking thing I have seen.

Did shoot 110rds of WWB too, no problems at all. Now if I could just shoot a little better it would be ok :wink:

·
Registered
757 Posts
choochboost said:
But not exactly a great way to test ammo since everything opens up and looks good when shot into water.

That really hasn't been my experience. Although, Hydra-Shok does come out looking almost exactly like the ones in the full color ads. I had several types of ammo whose performance was less than stellar. That includes one highly touted round that I never did manage to capture....went through 6 jugs and kept on going and going and going............

·
Registered
39 Posts
wr moore said:
[quote name='choochboost'] But not exactly a great way to test ammo since everything opens up and looks good when shot into water.

That really hasn't been my experience. Although, Hydra-Shok does come out looking almost exactly like the ones in the full color ads. I had several types of ammo whose performance was less than stellar. That includes one highly touted round that I never did manage to capture....went through 6 jugs and kept on going and going and going............[/quote]

When did Energizer start makeing ammunition?

·
Registered
403 Posts
I had a similar result with Federal EFMJ. Penetrated six jugs, twice. No expansion at all. Even dented the plywood backstop after the last jug and not a hint of expansion. I've been told water won't work as a proper medium for the EFMJs. I carry HSTs anyhow so I never bothered to test anymore.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts