MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sig P229 Elite that I have been carrying (CTAC) ... and like it very much ... but I keep reading about the M&P40c ... just how much easier is it to conceal? For those who may have both ... thanks ... John

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a P229 Equinox that I am considering to sell! The M&P compact is definitely easier to conceal due to the much shorter grip to contend with. If wearing a jacket, it would probably not matter. Outside wearing a jacket to help conceal/print, then definitely go with the M&P compact.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I had a P229 in the past. There is no comparison between it and the 40c in terms of which is more conducive to carry. The M&P 40c wins hands down. Smaller, trimmer, lighter. I too use a CTAC and with my M&P 40c the gun disappears. I'm barely aware that it is on my person even after 8+ hours of continuous wear. I never could say that about my P229.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that's what the answer would be ...

Turds ... I have to buy another pistol!!!! Well ... things could be worse! With summer coming on ... I was wondering how long I would make it with the P229 ... didn't want to go back to M640 ... although I like it a lot ... but after carrying the P229 40 S&W ... I want a little more ump and capacity ... ok ... so I am shopping again ... thanks ... John

·
Registered
32 Posts
jfinet,

I've got a P229 .40 S&W as well. After MUCH research, I decided on the M&P9c. It is SO MUCH easier to carry, and lighter. I have zero issues concealing it, even with only a t-shirt. I'd highly recommend the M&Pc as your summer carry weapon.

Personally, I opted for the 9 instead of the .40 because I didn't want to make any type of a sacrifice in capacity . . . so with my 9c, I actually GAINED capacity over my P229, while reducing overall size and weight. I believe that shot placement is more important in stopping a BG than a couple hundredths of an inch difference in bullet diameter, but you're welcome to hold whatever opinion you want!

Best wishes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think with good persol defese ammo, 9MM will do the job. I just ordered my compact and I went with the 9MM as well (and I'm really a .40 guy). Splitting hairs when it comes to the whole 9mm / .40 debate.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nutshell said:
I think with good persol defese ammo, 9MM will do the job. I just ordered my compact and I went with the 9MM as well (and I'm really a .40 guy). Splitting hairs when it comes to the whole 9mm / .40 debate.

There is no "think" to it....the 9MM with the right load will in fact do the job providing the shooter does his.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on M&P40c

The M&P40c happened for me ... and I am so glad ... 500 rounds through it without any issues ... except it is very accurate ... easy to point ... and recoil is same as my P229 ... not an issue ... CTAC holster is great ... because it is so much lighter than P229 ... and grip so much shorter ... it is much easier to carry ... switched this week ... after 500 rounds ... time will tell ... but it's looking good so far ... I appreciate the comments ... John

PS ... by the way ... this was never intended as a caliber war ... the issue is not 40 vs 9 vs 45 in this thread ... it's about pistols for easy carrying ... John

·
Registered
638 Posts
A better comparison would be between the M&P 40c and the Sig P239 in .40SW. I have both. As much as I like my M&Pc there is nothing like a Sig. Keep in mind too you are comparing an alloy frame Sig to a polymer frame M&P and the Sig has less capacity I don't have a problem with the reduced capacity (if you need more than 8+1 you don't need a different gun, you need air support) but I do like the lighter weight of the M&P for all-day carry. Other than that, the Sig remains an impressive piece of workmanship and the M&P ain't bad either for $200 +/- less. As for the P229, my agency's issue weapon, I have always found it just a bit fat for my short fat hands. And it is a heavy sucker.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have 750 rounds through my M&P40c now ... no problems ... it is now being carried ... using CTAC which is good ... but not perfect ... have ordered a crossbreed to see if that might be a little more comfortable ... this is probably a body type issue ... more than anything else ... regarding the P239/P229 comparison ... while the P239 has the thinner grip ... the grip length is still long and that was one of the big improvements with the M&P40c ... much easier to conceal because of shorter grip ... all good at this point ... hoping the mag drop issue doesn't pop up (or down) ... and sure would like to get a couple more M&P's if I only knew where you were getting them for $200
... John

·
Registered
638 Posts
jfinet said:
I have 750 rounds through my M&P40c now ... no problems ... it is now being carried ... using CTAC which is good ... but not perfect ... have ordered a crossbreed to see if that might be a little more comfortable ... this is probably a body type issue ... more than anything else ... regarding the P239/P229 comparison ... while the P239 has the thinner grip ... the grip length is still long and that was one of the big improvements with the M&P40c ... much easier to conceal because of shorter grip ... all good at this point ... hoping the mag drop issue doesn't pop up (or down) ... and sure would like to get a couple more M&P's if I only knew where you were getting them for $200
... John

John, $200 +/- less than the price of a Sig P239 on average. If you find an M&P for 2 bills, let me know too.
By the way, I don't find the grip difference between the P239 and the M&Pc to be significant in terms of concealment. I find the weight difference more of an issue due to my bad back. Yes, to checking out the Crossbreed, you may find it just the ticket. I have both their Supertucks and Qwikclips, preferring the latter due to its easy on and off. Two other good IWBs are the Tucker Answer and the Tucker Texas Heritage.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have both a P229R 9mm and a MP9c. It's hot in Texas now, though I still have no problem carrying my 229 wearing shorts and t-shirt. The MP9c is smaller and lighter but I really have no problem carrying either one.

I carry the 229R more because I ran into reliability issues with the MP9c. It's been serviced by S&W but I still would not make it my main carry gun until I have run another 500 or so rounds thru it just to make sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts