MP-Pistol Forum banner

So What Is an ‘Assault Rifle’ Really?

4K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  MaddMax 
#1 ·
As expected a new push for gun control has started, much of it centering around the term "Assault Rifle' as if the civilian AR-15 is only suitable for events with evil intent, which of course it isn't. Nice article from The Blaze.

So What Is an ‘Assault Rifle’ Really? We Look at the Definitions and How the Term Is ‘Demonized’

It seems that there is a lot of confusion as to the difference between military rifles and those designed for civilian ownership, especially because of the language often used to describe the latter.

But why? Is an AR-15 not an assault rifle? Does the "AR” in AR-15 not stand for "assault rifle”?

It doesn’t. In fact, it doesn’t mean "automatic rifle” either, as many might think. AR actually stands for ArmaLite rifle, which is the company that first developed it in the 1950s.

Continued: So What Is an 'Assault Rifle' Really? We Look at the Definitions and How the Term Is 'Demonized' | TheBlaze.com

See less See more
#4 ·
I have shut down a number of anti-rights debates simply by providing the proper definition of an "assault rifle" and a "semi-automatic rifle".

Most of the time the person I am debating have no clue as to what the differences are.
These are the same people that do not know the difference between a "clip" and a "magazine" and think that one can empty a "30 round clip" in three seconds or less. Jerry Miculek Jr., one of the fastest shooters today, could barely fire off five rounds in a second.

When debating these anti-rights zealots, it is important to know your facts and correct terminology. There is a plethora of information available on-line which I download and review frequently.

#5 ·
Often it is invaluable to know when debating the antis the difference between Assault Rifle, which is defined in this thread, and Assault Weapon, which is basically a made political term for legislative purposes by categorizing a weapon based upon mostly cosmetic features.

Bear in mind most true anti 2A zealots will not listen to reason no matter what.

Some antis just parrot their favorite actor's, sports figure's, or politician's stance with no knowledge of their own. Sometimes they can be swayed with logic. Sometimes not.

#11 ·
The AR in AR 15 stands for Armalite Rifle after the company that designed it originally. The designation has held on since the original design throughout all the manufacturers.

It is a standard definition for the design that later went on to become a fully auto military rifle designated by the military as M-16.

The term Assault Rifle was created when Bill Clinton "Assaulted" all firearms that were black in nature, semi auto, and had military backgrounds. The original "Assault" came around in 1993 with a gun bill that banned certain types of guns, certain guns from import, hi capacity mags, flash hiders, pistol grips, folding stocks, collapsing stocks, bayonet lugs, and other features. Rifles were his main target, but there were shotguns and pistols that were "Assaulted" too.

If the Clintons and other Gun Assault Creatures would ever get control of the world, we would only be able to carry firearms that Elmer Fudd or Davy Crockett did.

Bill Clinton was involved in other "Assault" cases, most of them sexual in nature. He even stood before the camera on national TV and lied to America that he did not do it. But was later proven with out a doubt, he did. Now, as in 2008, another Clinton "Assault" is coming.

Vote for Trump, and if you can find out how the Democrats do it, vote often. End the "Assault".

#12 · (Edited)
These were the "Assault Rifles" in 1776. They gave you the freedom you enjoy today.

Cloud Sky Building Handwriting Font

#15 · (Edited)
pending context of usage on these two words.

"assault weapon".

in modern dictionary terms, for a gun.
it defines any carbine rifle that has select fire options, and chambers a under powdered cartridge.

in antis terms, any rifle that looks scary to them.

what is a assault.
in terms of what is a assault weapon" it can be a rock, a stick, your fist, a car, etc. a assault is a action not a object.

the term fist came about as a sales gimmick to get hitler to buy a small under powered rifle.
a rifle that changed warfare, from just kill all the other sides men, to wound them.
from a kill everybody - to a war of using up the other sides resources.

https://web.archive.org/web/20130102110222/http://www.saf.org:80/LawReviews/Tartaro1.htm

http://ww2.kqed.org/news/2012/12/20/four-myths-about-assault-weapons/

http://www.nssf.org/factsheets/semi-auto.cfm

http://www.wibc.com/blogs/gun-guy/cynical-deception-behind-“assault-weapons-ban”

here is some better reading.

#17 ·
To me, any rifle is an aggressive weapon. Pistols are defensive, but no one pulls out a rifle of any type for defense, unless they are being shot at from very long distance.

But that's just an opinion.
Come to my house, un invited. You will be greeted by my M4 buildout. Sorry Charlie, but handguns are for backup in my house. I hate shotguns, can't hit s it with them.

Our soldiers use them as a primary defense weapon at any range, why would you want anything less?

A rifle is a primary defense weapon. It is accurate and powerful. It can defeat most barriers. Depending on the situation, the most powerful weapon at hand is the one that wins the battle. Not many carry a rifle for self defense, they don't fit very well in a pocket. But in certain areas, homes, ranches, vehicles, they can be a primary self defense weapon.

#18 ·
Dittos here JD. My handgun is used to get to a rifle which is my primary SD gun no matter what the range is.

#20 ·
Among some people today, absolutely correct Wendy.

#21 ·
Same here JD. No assault weapons here either. Mine are for primary defense, hunting and sporting use.

I even argue with people that call it an M-16. It's not, it's an M&P Sport, M&P 15T or an M-4.

I also refer to mine as MSR's. Modern Sporting Rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.