MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't been on here for a while, but as a long time SIG Sauer fan, I've become a near total M&P

Convert when it comes to shooting pleasure, ease of carry and yeah even fit and finish of these wonderful pistols...BUT...I cannot for the life of me keep the roll pin under the take down lever to stop walking out of the frame on my full size .40! I shot about 300 rounds yesterday and it moved out enough to snag my left thumb when I would go to rest it on the take down lever. I REALLY don't want to have to send the gun back to S&W. This one was sent three times to repair the mag catch problem. They finally replaced the frame and added a set of night sights on the slide. Top notch and first class company that Smith and Wesson, but this is driving me crazy. Surely there are some do it at home solutions. I appreciate anyones assistance.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Welcome back.

Couple things to try and this should be a cheap easy fix for you. First of all you shouldn't have to send the pistol back to S&W.

Try a little blue loctite, this should do the trick. Make sure you use the blue loctite though in case you want to remove it later. Red loctite is nasty permanent.

Another solution would be to replace the coil roll pin yourself if it keeps giving you problems. I have ordered some and I think they only set me back .50 cents each through S&W. Use a 1/8" diameter roll pin punch (got mine at Sears) and a light hammer to remove and replace your coil roll pin

Remove and re-insert the coil roll pins in the same direction. If you are holding the pistol in your hand, go from right to left. This is also the direction they are put in your gun at the factory. Both of the coil roll pins on the pistol are the same size.

During a recent trigger job and mag safety removal I performed, I have lucked out with mine removed and re-inserted one of my origional roll pins at least 10x and it still holds like a champ after repeated firings. Like anything mechanical through, they are not perfectly the same like the one you have.

Have fun.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jeff 9mm M&P said:
Welcome back.

Couple things to try and this should be a cheap easy fix for you. First of all you shouldn't have to send the pistol back to S&W.

Try a little blue loctite, this should do the trick. Make sure you use the blue loctite though in case you want to remove it later. Red loctite is permanent.

Another solution would be to replace the coil roll pin yourself if it keeps giving you problems. I have ordered some and I think they only set me back .50 cents each through S&W. Use a 1/8" diameter roll pin punch (got mine at Sears) and a light hammer to remove and replace your coil roll pin

Remove and re-insert the coil roll pins in the same direction. If you are holding the pistol in your hand, go from right to left. This is also the direction they are put in your gun at the factory. Both of the coil roll pins are the same size.

During a recent trigger job and mag safety removal I performed, I have lucked out with mine removed and re-inserted one of my origional roll pins at least 10x and it still holds like a champ after repeated firings.

Have fun.

Thanks Jeff. I'll do the blue loctite first and order some new pins if needed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
FWIW, my roll pin has been walking and it is only a very small, minor concern to me. My M&P 9mm fullsize has been stone-cold reliable and accurate as all get-out. I love it...

edit: I've been warned not to use loctite for metal on plastic

·
Registered
326 Posts
edit: I've been warned not to use loctite for metal on plastic

The correct fix for this is to get new roll pins from S&W or Brownells..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts