MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sold my M&P 9mm and replaced it with a .40 M&P so I could shoot limited.

I forgot one thing...price of practice ammo I should have kept both.

Anyone know it there will be a .22 conversion avalible?

Kurt

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Whenever I go to wal-mart and have some spare money I buy a box keep doing that for a while and thats how I get to the range...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I hit the range 3-5 times a week I only hit walmart once a month

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
1911Sc said:
Well I hit the range 3-5 times a week I only hit walmart once a month

nevermind

I am the other way around...

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
98sr20ve said:
[quote name='1911Sc']Well I hit the range 3-5 times a week I only hit walmart once a month

I assume you reload?[/quote]

if not in the oil business

·
Registered
53 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
[quote name='98sr20ve'][quote name='1911Sc']Well I hit the range 3-5 times a week I only hit walmart once a month

if not in the oil business[/quote]

Seriously, Not to start a war, but if he doesn't reload he needs to get a Dillon SDB, 550, Lee Load Master or 1000 or Hornady LnL. Shooting that much on factory ammo will put you in the poor house.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
98sr20ve said:
Seriously, Not to start a war, but if he doesn't reload he needs to get a Dillon SDB, 550, Lee Load Master or 1000 or Hornady LnL. Shooting that much on factory ammo will put you in the poor house.

Even with the increase in ammo prices, if you shop around and buy in bulk then the cost of 9mm is still low enough that reloading won't save you that much money. The cost of bullets has gone up, as well. You also have to figure in the cost of the reloading kit itself (press, bench, scales, etc.). Then you have to account for the time it takes both to load the ammo and police your brass after every shooting session (if you shoot someplace that doesn't require that already).

I just had 10,000 rounds of 115gr Blazer FMJ delivered for $6.25 a box. It took me five minutes to order and I just sweep the cases away when I'm done shooting.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
98sr20ve said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet'][quote name='98sr20ve'][quote name='1911Sc']Well I hit the range 3-5 times a week I only hit walmart once a month

if not in the oil business[/quote]

Seriously, Not to start a war, but if he doesn't reload he needs to get a Dillon SDB, 550, Lee Load Master or 1000 or Hornady LnL. Shooting that much on factory ammo will put you in the poor house.[/quote]

I do reload but need to upgrade my equipment.

Because I shoot so much I would really like a .22 conversion like for my 1911's

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ToddG said:
Even with the increase in ammo prices, if you shop around and buy in bulk then the cost of 9mm is still low enough that reloading won't save you that much money.

True.

I should have keep the 9mm for practice.

BUT a .22 conversion would be great

·
Registered
53 Posts
ToddG said:
[quote name='98sr20ve']

Even with the increase in ammo prices, if you shop around and buy in bulk then the cost of 9mm is still low enough that reloading won't save you that much money. The cost of bullets has gone up, as well. You also have to figure in the cost of the reloading kit itself (press, bench, scales, etc.). Then you have to account for the time it takes both to load the ammo and police your brass after every shooting session (if you shoot someplace that doesn't require that already).

I just had 10,000 rounds of 115gr Blazer FMJ delivered for $6.25 a box. It took me five minutes to order and I just sweep the cases away when I'm done shooting.[/quote]

Where is that from? I may want to try that.

Your cost is .13 a round. Using zeros/tightgroup/etc my cost is under 11 a round. That is not buying anything in bulk either. Using a bulk purchase with zero's it's .097 a round. Using lead you can save even more. Typical cost for bulk lead is under .06+ a round. It is nice not having to reload all that ammo.

1911Sc said:
Because I shoot so much I would really like a .22 conversion like for my 1911's

Sure would be nice.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
98 -- if you look around it's not hard to find good deals, especially on 9mm Blazer (aluminum). I have had good success with Natchez Shooting Sports (www.natchezss.com) and Outdoor Marksman (outdoormarksman.com).

I'm not willing to shoot lead through my guns, so for me that would bring no cost savings. So let's take my 12.5 cents per round compared to your 9.7 cents per round. For 1,000 rounds of ammo, you save $28.

Let's reload on the cheap ... a Square Deal B is $320. Add about another $100 for accessories (tubes, trays, scale, etc.).

Just to break even you'd need to load 15,000 rounds of ammo. This assumes that your time is worth absolutely zero and that you never need to change calibers (requiring new dies, etc.).

I've BTDT. I've owned both a SDB and a 650. Each one got about a week's worth of use before I sold them off. For me, the small savings isn't worth the time. If I were shooting .45 and paying for all my own ammo I might look at it differently. But then one of the big benefits of the 9x19mm is that it's so inexpensive compared to the alternatives.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Buy a 9MM for practice and keep the 40 for major.

4000-5000 rounds of practice ammo and the 9 will have paid for itself.

:twisted:

·
Registered
75 Posts
It's shocking but it's more that that now.

Last night I was at Wal-Mart and bought a Winchester 100 round value pack in 40S&W for $21.88.

I noticed that the 9MM value box was $15.72 and .45 ACP value box was $28.98.

WTF is going on? Earlier this summer the 40S&W value pack was $15.88 and that 45ACP was $19.98.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
jmr said:
It's shocking but it's more that that now.

Last night I was at Wal-Mart and bought a Winchester 100 round value pack in 40S&W for $21.88.

I noticed that the 9MM value box was $15.72 and .45 ACP value box was $28.98.

WTF is going on? Earlier this summer the 40S&W value pack was $15.88 and that 45ACP was $19.98.

I have been using wwb and I NEVER remember .40 at 15.00 :!:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Oh I remember it at alot less than that a few years ago. I've been using CCI Blazer Brass .40 and .45 from Wal-mart and it's still reasonably priced and shoots just as good as WWB which has gone up alot...especially the .45.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts