MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sold my g22 .40 cal to replace it with a m&p 9mm, and i have handled the m&p but not shot it. I have heard alot of good stuff about the m&p series, but some of the stuff i am hearing on this site about rattling mags, lines on the slide, discoloration, etc are kinda making me wonder if i should just go back to the proven darkside? I am really excited about my new gun(it will be here this Tues) but i just really have to have 100% reliability in my handguns, i owned my g22 for 2 years and it would eat any kind of ammo and never had a FTF OR A FTE, not that glocks don't have their problems here and there. I guess i just need a little reassurance on this subject and gun purchase. Thanks

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
My 40 has eaten anything.

Let me ask you this, were the first glocks in production perfect? and do they have the customer service that Smith has?

·
Registered
53 Posts
chilic82 said:
I have sold my g22 .40 cal to replace it with a m&p 9mm, and i have handled the m&p but not shot it. I have heard alot of good stuff about the m&p series, but some of the stuff i am hearing on this site about rattling mags, lines on the slide, discoloration, etc are kinda making me wonder if i should just go back to the proven darkside? I am really excited about my new gun(it will be here this Tues) but i just really have to have 100% reliability in my handguns, i owned my g22 for 2 years and it would eat any kind of ammo and never had a FTF OR A FTE, not that glocks don't have their problems here and there. I guess i just need a little reassurance on this subject and gun purchase. Thanks

You did good. I have the M&P9 and love it. Mine does not have the slide flaws some of the others do and it has been 100% reliable with all kinds of ammo. If you have had Glocks before I think you will like the trigger a little better on the M&P and IMHO you made an upgrade in accuracy.

I also have 3 mags for mine and none of them rattle. A rattling mag won't make it unreliable anyway just one of those little annoying things. All my XD SC mags rattle but it is flawless to.

Rest assured you bought a S&W if there does happen to be a problem they will make it right, so sleep well grasshopper.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, just takes a little while to adjust to a new gun, company and forum. I appretiate the replies

·
Registered
323 Posts
Dont worry, from my experience with my MP40 its a great pistol. Has fired whatever I have put through it. And you just cant beat the ergonomics, or the handling.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The M&P does not have any documented relibility issues. The stuff you listed (rattling mags, some lines on the frame, discoloration) are all nit picky aesthetic issues. The M&P goes bang as long as the ammo is up to the task. Period. Your weapon is reliable so don't overthink, find the front sight and press.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
What??????

I don't understand. You sold a 40 cal. Glock to buy a 9mm MP? Those are two entirely different guns. Now your worried you did the wrong thing before you even shoot the MP? Why didn't you just keep the Glock and buy the MP? You couldn't have gotten much for it. Then you would have both calibers. I'm not a Glock fan but if you've had a proven weapon for two years why get rid of it? You'll never regret buying the MP but you will regret selling your Glock.

My MP mags do rattle in the gun, if I shake it, which I seldom find the need to do. As for lines in the slide, I've not noticed any nor any major discoloration. The MP is a great gun with a fast growing fan base. You will enjoy shooting it, IMHO.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well i all comes down to a money, ergonomics factor, and cost of ammo. I bought the Glock as a first time buyer and i liked it until i started researching other guns and found one's that fit my hand better,were made of better materials and had a better warranty, plus my glock was still in 98% condition and i sold it for $425 and ordered me a m&p from buds and got a brand new m&p for what i sold my used Glock for.The M&p just seemed like a modernized polymer gun where the Glock seems to be fading quickly. So these are the few reasons i made my decision. I feel now that it was a good one.Thanks

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
chilic82 said:
well i all comes down to a money, ergonomics factor, and cost of ammo. I bought the Glock as a first time buyer and i liked it until i started researching other guns and found one's that fit my hand better,were made of better materials and had a better warranty, plus my glock was still in 98% condition and i sold it for $425 and ordered me a m&p from buds and got a brand new m&p for what i sold my used Glock for.The M&p just seemed like a modernized polymer gun where the Glock seems to be fading quickly. So these are the few reasons i made my decision. I feel now that it was a good one.Thanks

You got a good price for your Glock. In that case I think you did good. Most people get the new gun bug and will sell their "old reliable" for a song just to get their hands on the new one. Sounds like you gave it some thought and did your homework.

Your MP will serve you well. 8)

·
Registered
521 Posts
yeah...you did real good. Its like trading a car (gas guzzler) for newer car that gets better gas milage, fits you better and has a few more updated features. I think once you start using the new gun the buyer's remorse will go away.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I change my tone, they are pieces of crap, you had better send me yours before you waste your time trying to get it to work. 8)

·
Registered
113 Posts
chilic82 said:

I had the Glock model 35 (40 caliber, longer slide than the model 22). Actually, I owned a brand new model 35 (Glock) on two separate occasions. I didn't do well with it the first time, but a buddy (who has at least 20 Glock pistols total) said I'd regret it. So, I went and bought another (2nd) model 35. I didn't do any better with it the 2nd time around either.

My experience with the M&P 40 has been (and still is) much better. I feel recoil less (don't even really notice it now), and I am much more accurate with the M&P. And, I like the feel of the grip better. The Smith, of course has a blackened Stainless slide (and I think barrel). As soon as the COMPACT 9mm version is out, I am buying one for concealed carry. I think the full size M&P is just a tad bit too large for deep concealment.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts