MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried a G19 gen 5. I always hated the square grip and finger grooves. But at a gun show I picked G19 gen 5 up, and boy did it feel good! No grooves, proper shape, good stipple.

Bought it and took it to the range. Right out of the box, I was shooting it better than M&P.

Bottom line: Smith is sold, Glock is the new EDC.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I've wondered about the grip change/shape.

I've mostly sanded the bumps off my Gen 3 M31. Didn't make it shoot better groups though.

For a great fit/feel in my hand it's hard to beat an M&P. The Shields (9MM) and the big .45 acp seem to shoot decent groups, too. Much better than all the 9s, .40's and .357 SIGs I've bought/shot. The little ones and the big ones are pretty good, in my experience.

The Glock, even without the finger bumps, still feels funny in my hand. Size? Shape? Angle? Maybe a combination of one or more.

·
Registered
657 Posts
In the immortal words of Powers Boothe, "Well............... Bye".

Reactions: Glockpride

·
Registered
9 Posts
Tried a G19 gen 5. I always hated the square grip and finger grooves. But at a gun show I picked G19 gen 5 up, and boy did it feel good! No grooves, proper shape, good stipple.

Bought it and took it to the range. Right out of the box, I was shooting it better than M&P.

Bottom line: Smith is sold, Glock is the new EDC.
I like my 380EZ a lot and will keep it but the G19 (gen2) I just got might have bumped it from EDC. Though I'd have no issues carrying either.

·
Registered
49 Posts
My EDC is the G26. All my Glocks are Gen 3. The finger grooves fit me perfect. You got yourself a fine EDC there.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have to say, I'm surprised that people shoot both Glock and M&P.

I don't hate Glock, but because of the grip angle differences I'd never own one. Switching between grip angles would mess with my "automatic" sight alignment too much, and I'd need to consciously aim instead of pointing.

All my pistols are the standard 1911 grip angle, and they all point the same - which is one less variable under stress if speed is of the essence.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I've wondered about the grip change/shape.

I've mostly sanded the bumps off my Gen 3 M31. Didn't make it shoot better groups though.

For a great fit/feel in my hand it's hard to beat an M&P. The Shields (9MM) and the big .45 acp seem to shoot decent groups, too. Much better than all the 9s, .40's and .357 SIGs I've bought/shot. The little ones and the big ones are pretty good, in my experience.

The Glock, even without the finger bumps, still feels funny in my hand. Size? Shape? Angle? Maybe a combination of one or more.
It’s primarily the glock grip angle, but the blockiness doesn’t help either.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Glad your happy with your purchase. M&P isn't for everyone, just most preferred by experienced marksmen. ;)
Ironic. I actually have found my M&Ps to be the least accurate of all my pistols, no matter the ammo, load, size, etc. They are just NOT accurate pistols.

I carried an M&P40c for years, then I got serious about self-defense and started evaluating my carry guns. I like to shoot at 25 yards with a rest and see what kind of 5-shot group I can get. If the gun is accurate, then the shooter has a chance to be accurate. All of my carry pistols can do a 2" group or less at 25 yards. Except the the M&P40c. I have three of them. I have tried a dozen or so different loads and factory ammo and they just aren't capable of sub-2" groups.

My current carry pistol is a Sig P365 and it will do 2". My Glock G19 Gen 5 will do an inch.

Just a couple of days ago, I decided to burn up a bunch of small batches of .40 S&W ammo. I brought my new Glock Gen 5 G23, my old carry M&P40c, and my Remington 1911 R1 Limited. I thought it would be fun to shoot all three pistols 10-rounds, at 10 yards, in 10 seconds. I figured the R1 would be the most accurate, but it wasn't. The Glock was with a 2 3/8" group was. The M&P40c was the worst at 4". It is always the least accurate pistol at the range. It's just too bad. Great little pistol otherwise.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have never seemed to have an accuracy issue with any of the M&P's I've owned, which is far North of a dozen and almost every model...

12-Yards

14-Yards

·
Registered
438 Posts
I've shot my M&P45 2.0 Compact out to about 50 yards - and I was surprised how accurate it was. At less distance the shots are touching if I do my part.

In a personal defense situation, most likely you are not at any extended range - but it is important to know it will hit where you point it.

Most of the time in a defense situation accuracy isn't going to be an issue. Just get a hit somewhere on-target sooner than the bad guy.

You will be in a hurry and under extreme stress, so I wouldn't expect a high level of precision.

Go with whatever pistol feels the best to you and gives you acceptable accuracy. For me that's my M&P45. There isn't any other pistol I'd rather have if the need arises.

EDIT: One more thing - if you don't think you firearm is performing adequately - try a different ammo. Different bullet weights and manufacturers are going to affect accuracy. Just because it doesn't group well with one ammo doesn't mean it won't group well with another.

Also check the barrel for copper fouling. More than just standard cleaning for powder residue.

I haven't found my .45 M&P to be picky about ammo, but other calibers may be more sensitive.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have to say, I'm surprised that people shoot both Glock and M&P.

I don't hate Glock, but because of the grip angle differences I'd never own one. Switching between grip angles would mess with my "automatic" sight alignment too much, and I'd need to consciously aim instead of pointing.

All my pistols are the standard 1911 grip angle, and they all point the same - which is one less variable under stress if speed is of the essence.

I have been shooting the 1911, high-power, M&P grip angle since 1979. I was surprised how quickly i adjusted to Glock angle.

And gen 4 and 5 take care of grip squareness.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I never had much use for Glocks and never carried one during my 22 years in LE even though they were department issue. I recently got a REAL surprise when I shot a friend's Gen 5 Glock 23X and was blown away by the trigger pull. Glock has really come a long way from the crappy mushy trigger it had years ago. Accuracy with cheap ball 9mm was amazing too. It changed my attitude towards Glocks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
It's not how accurate a firearm is... it's how accurate are YOU with the firearm. I thought anti2A people were the only ones that blamed the tool. lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts