MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if you get a suppressor that will fit a 22 pistol and get a 22 rifle that has a barrel it can mount it.. Is it legal to use it on both or is the suppressor only supposed to be used on one gun only.. Just wondering..

Thanks,

Ben

·
Registered
910 Posts
You can swap suppressors between as many guns as you'd like. I have a Walther P22 and a threaded Ruger MKIII as suppressor hosts for 1 suppressor. Sadly I have no gun for my .223 suppressor - I sold all of them stupidly.

BTW - I have 2 suppressors waiting for approval up at ATP. Took ATP 91 days to get my paperwork to the ATF. Definitely suggest not dealing with them on suppressors.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
josh said:
You can swap suppressors between as many guns as you'd like. I have a Walther P22 and a threaded Ruger MKIII as suppressor hosts for 1 suppressor. Sadly I have no gun for my .223 suppressor - I sold all of them stupidly.

BTW - I have 2 suppressors waiting for approval up at ATP. Took ATP 91 days to get my paperwork to the ATF. Definitely suggest not dealing with them on suppressors.

Josh, according to NFA you need an ATF stamp for each weapon system, so if you have one suppressor that can fit multiple weapons, you technically need multiple ATF stamps if you swap it out on each weapon.... So you need to hurry up give me your Tac Innovations so I can complete my build... :wink: BTW, you say you have a .223 can, hmmmmmmmm I have a M&P15A without a can...

Also this post would best be suited in "Non Smith Firearm Talk."

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I forgot to ask if this a real suppressor or a fake can? If it were fake that obvious you switch it with anything that fits. However, if it a re suppressor, that fall into the NFA and the ATF stamp deal...

·
Registered
910 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='josh']You can swap suppressors between as many guns as you'd like. I have a Walther P22 and a threaded Ruger MKIII as suppressor hosts for 1 suppressor. Sadly I have no gun for my .223 suppressor - I sold all of them stupidly.

Josh, according to NFA you need an ATF stamp for each weapon system, so if you have one suppressor that can fit multiple weapons, you technically need multiple ATF stamps if you swap it out on each weapon.... So you need to hurry up give me your Tac Innovations so I can complete my build... :wink: BTW, you say you have a .223 can, hmmmmmmmm I have a M&P15A without a can...

Also this post would best be suited in "Non Smith Firearm Talk."[/quote]

Can you quote the ATF here? By weapon system I'm pretty sure they're talking about an SBR, or the suppressor itsself. You only have to pay a tax stamp on a suppressor. One tax - one time. I've never heard of having multiple tax stamps due to having several guns that an individual can would fit. And if this was the case there's plenty of NFA nazi's on sites I go to that would have mentioned this as far as I know.

I'm new to NFA stuff, but I'm almost positive it's perfectly legal to swap cans from weapon to weapon with no issue. I mean, when you do the paperwork for a can nowhere on it do you have to mention or list what gun it's for.

And yes, I have a .223 suppressor... with no .223 rifle. It's sad. I sold both my AR's because one had a non-removable carry handle, and one was never shot. And although it's sad it's not sad enough for me to give you my can.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
josh said:
[quote name='Morgan Walker'][quote name='josh']You can swap suppressors between as many guns as you'd like. I have a Walther P22 and a threaded Ruger MKIII as suppressor hosts for 1 suppressor. Sadly I have no gun for my .223 suppressor - I sold all of them stupidly.

Also this post would best be suited in "Non Smith Firearm Talk."[/quote]

Can you quote the ATF here? By weapon system I'm pretty sure they're talking about an SBR, or the suppressor itsself. You only have to pay a tax stamp on a suppressor. One tax - one time. I've never heard of having multiple tax stamps due to having several guns that an individual can would fit. And if this was the case there's plenty of NFA nazi's on sites I go to that would have mentioned this as far as I know.

I'm new to NFA stuff, but I'm almost positive it's perfectly legal to swap cans from weapon to weapon with no issue. I mean, when you do the paperwork for a can nowhere on it do you have to mention or list what gun it's for.

And yes, I have a .223 suppressor... with no .223 rifle. It's sad. I sold both my AR's because one had a non-removable carry handle, and one was never shot. And although it's sad it's not sad enough for me to give you my can.
[/quote]

Josh, I want you to think about this, what better way than to ATF and NFA to get a more cash from you if you have register each weapon, or Suppressor, or SBR. In any case on Form 1, you have to register it with that weapons serial; number. So, that in my mind tells me you have to have multiple stamps for each weapon you want to put the suppressor on. I may be wrong here, but its a perfect way of Uncle Sam getting more our money...

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
The can is what has the SN. and is interchangeable according to my dealer out here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jester said:
The can is what has the SN. and is interchangeable according to my dealer out here.

Thanks Jester,

I thought that was the case, but wasn't sure.. I am thinking of getting one for a P22 and have it interchangeable with a Ruger 22 rifle..

Ben

·
Registered
116 Posts
I also think that one can gets one stamp, and you can put it on any gun you like. Check with ATF to be sure.

Using logic like that above (would generate more revenue . . .) to "figure out" what the rules must be, when you don't actually know, is exactly how bad information gets promulgated. Resist the temptation. (Besides, that logic makes no sense at all. I bet that it costs ATF far more than $200 to process a tax stamp application. I would guess that each one of those is a money-losing proposition for Uncle Sam. But there I am - guessing, so I don't take that as the facts.)

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you get a can it can be mounted on whatever you like, you can share a can on as many weapons as you want to. The ATF stamp is lifetime on the item, $200 one time so it is not too bad at all. for the best place to get your calss III questions answered got to www.silencertests.com in the forums there you will find all you need.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts