MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All:

I am nearing retirement and live in "Sunny" Ohio. With many of us, I am contemplating a move to Florida (or other warm and humid) locations. With the sensitivity of our equipment, powders, etc to rust and humidity - what do you all (y'all?) do about your equipment. Run the A/C 12 months a year (seems contradictory on why I'd be moving). Secondly, with no basement, things are more out in the open like the garage for example (more humidity problems).

Thanks -

George

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am sure fellow reloaders from humid areas will have some concrete advice. But here are a few thoughts. Keep your reloading gear and supplies in the house as opposed to the garage or an outbuilding. A dehumidifier and rust prevention measures (light oil) are your friends but of course require judicious use. Even Ohio has enough humidity to destroy powder and primers which are improperly stored. Best of luck to you and may you have a long, happy and healthy retirement.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've had my reloading stuff (equipment and components) in a shed/garage here in central VA for almost 20 years. It was in my attic prior to that. Nasty hot/humid in the summer. Cold and occasionally humid in the winter (weird to walk out in the garage and find moisture beaded up on the cars, tool boxes, etc. but it happens every 3 or 4 years.)

Never lost a primer of a lb. of powder. keep the lids sealed on the powder.

The Lee dies/threaded sections got some rust one time. The Pacific (Hornady) have a hard chrome coating and look like new after 40 years. Shell holders (not sure which brands all of them are) have gotten rust on a few.

Brass will tarnish if you handle it with sweaty hands/fingers - so I don't reload in the summer/hot/humid weather.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts