1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
599 Posts
A gun with plates will raise the sight. You want the sight close to the bore as possible.

You said RMR, since you already made your mind up, just buy a non milled gun (cheaper) and have it milled for the sight you bought. That way you get a perfect fit.

The generic cut is for people that have no idea what they want.
That generic cut I compare to a hooker the day after Superbowl, claiming one size fits all.

Why buy that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - and love the analogue.

I also want it to work with tall cans with and without the optic.

Should I still gravitate toward the tall-sight guns (with the rear sight type this gun and COREs have)?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A gun with plates will raise the sight. You want the sight close to the bore as possible.

Why buy that?
Separate question - I can't find the info anywhere. . . .does this gun have the generic/plate-taking cut like a CORE, or is it crimson-trace specific? This would still be something for me to look into.

Just looking at what I can gleam of the box contents it almost looks like it's just optics + plastic cover-plate; but. . . who knows. . . .

·
Registered
599 Posts
Separate question - I can't find the info anywhere. . . .does this gun have the generic/plate-taking cut like a CORE, or is it crimson-trace specific? This would still be something for me to look into.

Just looking at what I can gleam of the box contents it almost looks like it's just optics + plastic cover-plate; but. . . who knows. . . .
My post is telling you NOT to buy a generic cut. Plates are bad. Have your slide milled and be done with it.
The money you save not buying a generic factory cut is used to have a precision cut to the exact size if your sight.

If you're still wanting the linked gun. I'm done.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My question was whether the gun had a crimson-trace specific cut as differentiated from the CORE, my second question wasn't whether it could be a CORE but if it was optimized for the optic the gun comes with, which would be more along the lines of what you're talking about.

BTW - for posterity and anyone reading this thread, the different cut types are mentioned here.

In the side comments they mention the 'jpoint' cut which allegedly the Crimson Trace matches, as being the "Shield Standard".

But to my original question, I have more to research.

For me, the tall sights + threaded M&P may be the ticket here as the gun will be run without an optic for a while, and later cut for a specific optic.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Just for any posterity reading this thread:

• I think SuperTrucker's advice - basic/standard gun (edited here) + custom cut for specific optic - needs serious consideration.
  • I went for the kit though as a way to get some things of primary interest - threads + tall sights - and ability to play with optics maybe.

If anyone's wondering. The kit contained CORE optics cut, and contained what appears to be the set of CORE adapter plates behind the foam.

The case is insanely large. Saw a pic of it somewhere on the net that shows - must have been some standard case for something bigger, even with the big silly boot-knife it's oversized.

(Edited after reading Super Trucker's post)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Just for any posterity reading this thread:

• [*]I think SuperTrucker's advice - basic CORE + custom cut for specific optic - needs serious consideration.
  • I went for the kit though as a way to get some things of primary interest - threads + tall sights - and ability to play with optics maybe.

If anyone's wondering. The kit contained CORE optics cut, and contained what appears to be the set of CORE adapter plates behind the foam.

The case is insanely large. Saw a pic of it somewhere on the net that shows - must have been some standard case for something bigger, even with the big silly boot-knife it's oversized.
On the part I made bold, remove the word core.
The core guns all come precut ready for plates.
That is what cheap people use. If you want the best possible setup get a plain stock slide and have it milled for you sight.

Do you have a suppressor?

Are you going to run a compensator? Do you know the ammo requirements for a comp?

If the answer to those us no, you won't need a threaded barrel.

I run plain black suppressor height sights on my M&P's with RMR's. They atei think truglo but they are for sure Glock sights. Since when you have the slide milled the huge dovetail for M&P sights will be gone most shops install Glock rear sights. The all black are about $50 a set.
I don't have tritium because that makes to many things to look at in the dark, your eye can only focus on one thing, three green tritium dots, the red RDS dot, plus the target equals, to much to look at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'd split the knowledge on this forum thread into 2 parts. What someone should probably do with a new optimized combat gun, and what this specific pistol comes with.

FWIW, I know how COREs work, I have a 1st gen 5" barrel and tall sights. I had played with an RMR on it but put it on a shotgun.

This gun is what I was after. . . another fullsize; but at standard length, and able to take a can.

To answer your question: Yes, I have 9mm suppressorS - and now have one host for each.

My carry guns lean fiber optic front and blacked out rear.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts