MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my first range trip Saturday, I realized the magazines are a pain to load.

Sharp metal lips threatening to chew up my fingers, and rather tricky to get the first round loaded.

So: If anybody has tips about speedloaders that will work, chime in.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I dunno what makes people ahve sucha hard time. I have 7 magazines from various batches. The first round is a tad.. I dunno.. odd, but not hard to insert. The only thing that is a pain is the 15th round ont he .40.

not particularly sharp either.

·
Site Staff
9,617 Posts
When I go out to shoot my pistols I usually shoot about 300 rounds, 100 rounds of 9mm with the Beretta 92, 100 rds of 40 with the MP40, and 100 rounds of 45acp with my Kimber 1911, I couldn't shoot that and load all those magazines without magazine loaders, loading pistol magazines by hand is a major PIA!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Loading mags by W/O a loader is a waste of time and energy that could be better spent shooting. I have to get a loader for the M&Ps fast.

·
Registered
206 Posts
After my second trip to the range.. I went looking for one.. And G56 is right about that loader.. I have the exact same one.. It makes a huge difference when it comes to time at the range.. I can load 4 clips in no time and spend more time shooting.. The added bonus is that it also fits my 410S clips..

Get the speed loader.. Your fingers will thank you for it..

Ben

·
Registered
65 Posts
I had my first range session with my M&P9 yesterday and was pretty surprised how difficult it was to load the magazines by hand. So far my main semi-auto experience has been with a Buckmark .22 and those mags are a picnic to load. My son was with me and used his mag loader for his Glock 19 to help me out. It seems to work okay but I think I'll try looking for the recommended HKS-GL940 at local gun stores today. If that's not successful, I'll order one from the HKS website.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Dakotapix: I bought the HKS 941 and it's perfect. Loads the 9s and .40s with ease, first round to last. Like it was made for the mag. If you do get the 940 let us know how it works. They probably both work fine. It will make you range day

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just came home with the HKS GL940 and am pleased to report it worked fine although it requires that you keep a firm grip on the mag/loader because if the magazine is allowed to wobble, the depressor will move off the cartridge that was loaded before. It's certainly better than loading by hand. The GL940 was about 12 bucks.

I'd sure like to see one specifically made for the M&P magazines though. The loader my son has came with his Glock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have never used a mag loader for anything other then a .22, and i used the one with the batteries. I have never seen how it makes things any faster, other than give your thumb a break, and not that much.. maybe im using them wrong or something, i hope not, they look too simple to use wrong. shouldnt be a problem after i get my FN 5.7, those mags are like loading a AR15 mag. SWEET.

·
Registered
150 Posts
4arrows said:
I have never used a mag loader for anything other then a .22, and i used the one with the batteries. I have never seen how it makes things any faster, other than give your thumb a break, and not that much.. maybe im using them wrong or something, i hope not, they look too simple to use wrong. shouldnt be a problem after i get my FN 5.7, those mags are like loading a AR15 mag. SWEET.

I took a new mag and timed loading a .40 15 round mag.

By hand it took me 1:41 seconds and I could not get the last round in. Had a hell of a time with the 14th round but got it in. Fingers are sore on both hands.

With the loader it took me 46 seconds and all 15 rounds got loaded. No cheating either. The time includes picking up the mag and securing it to the loader and loading the rounds. No sore fingers or thumbs.

The mags are brand new and the springs might be stiff but the result is about what I expected. My 5906 & CS9 mags are easier to load by hand that the M&Ps.

AR15 mags are a snap compared to pistol mags and I still use ammo on stripper clips to load them.

A battery operator 22 loader? Never herd of those.

A day at the range with the M&Ps would blow without the loader. By the time I loaded all my mags by hand my grip would be way off when shooting. BTW, I am not a frail guy either. I would recommend a loader for anyone planning on shooting more than a couple of mags at a time. Either that or only hand load 10 in a 15 round mag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts