MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody fired this stuff through their 9c?

My gun apparently HATES this ammo. FTF 75% of the time; the other 25% the slide slows down as it 'forces' the round into the chamber.

Gun fires 9mm FMJ perfectly fine, and though I had some slight problems with Winchester SXT JHP rounds, there is no way I would ever consider using this gun for carry/self defense purposes with any type of hollow-point rounds given its absolutely terrible performance.

I'm thinking its time to send this gun back to S&W and see what they have to say.

Any opinions?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Wow...I've never had any problem with my MP9c eating anything I fed it. Even when my G19 hicupped on a few rounds the MP9c ate 'um up. I'd definately have S&W take a look at it. I think most everyone on this site will agree that there should be no problem with this gun feeding any hollowpoints. Good luck and keep us up to date.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Some people think these things don't need to be cleaned so I must ask: What is your cleaning cycle?

:twisted:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just got mine back yesterday from S&W for the same problem all I can see that they did was polish the feed ramp. As soon as I have time to try it out I will let you know if it worked.

J.W.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got right around 800 rounds through it.

Clean it after every time I shoot. Paid special attention to the feed ramp the last time, and it didn't help.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
J.W. said:
I just got mine back yesterday from S&W for the same problem all I can see that they did was polish the feed ramp. As soon as I have time to try it out I will let you know if it worked.

J.W.

I'm thinking that would do the trick. I'll call up S&W today and see what they have to say.

It really sucked when it started happening at the range, because prior to the dismal performance with JHP ammunition I had felt like the gun had really finally broken in and hit its stride, so to speak. Hopefully this can get resolved pretty quick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
finally got time to shoot a little I loaded mags with random HP ammo one of these two of these etc.

It worked perfect no jams no dragging. S&W is #1 in customer service.

J.W.

·
Registered
42 Posts
i have the 9c and the full size 9. I have never had a problem with speer gold dot (reg size)124gr

+p or fmj umc. i have around 1000 rds thru the 9c and 1500 thru the full size.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Call Smith. I have over 500 rounds of that very same round through mine with no problems. And I have over 1000 total with no cleaning at all yet.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: sent the gun back to S&W. Shipping from WI to MA only took like 16 hours! Should have it back relatively soon.

·
Registered
73 Posts
TOF said:
Some people think these things don't need to be cleaned so I must ask: What is your cleaning cycle?

Cleaning and proper maintenance is important... but, honestly, any defensive pistol which cannot operate reliably with a bit of fouling and buildup inside it isn't worth carrying (in my opinion). I shoot alot, and every once in awhile I'll let one or two of my 'social' weapons go 500-1000rd without cleaning, just to count malfunctions. All 3 of the XDs I have put through this never malfunctioned, even after 1000+rd without any maintenance (other than shaking out the mags after they were dropped in the dirt during reloads). My 1 month old M&P hasn't got that many rounds through it yet (only 300), and I certainly don't intend to abuse it while it is breaking in, but I certainly won't be keeping it if it consistently malfunctions just because it gets a little dirty.

Some guns just don't like certain ammo... it's up to you to find what it does function best with.

Side note: Where do your brass land after being ejected? Right next to you, behind you, under the gun, or 5-6 feet to your right? What you describe could be a symptom of limp-wristing (I don't know your experience level, it's just a thought)... it could just as likely be a cartridge issue, there has been some mention of cartridges with very long overall cartridge length having feeding issues.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I don't dissagree a combat pistol should operate dirty. However; one of the major benefits of routine cleaning is that you look the mechanism over. In doing so you stand a good chance of finding that rock that crept in when you were practicing dirt based maneuvers. or piece of brass from the case you shouldn't have reloaded etc. You might even find a broken part before needing the pistol to save your hide. Also periodic review of the striker safety device might be in order.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My firearms are cleaned whether it fired one or five hundred rounds. Its a rule that I don't go to bed with a dirty firearm in the house. This is particularly true with a carry weapon. Weapons should be reliable when they are dirty, but should could get you killed. This has been my system for maintenance of my firearms for well over forty years and I'm very comfortable with it. Guns are tools and tools do break down. Its best to clean and inspect.

Dennis

·
Registered
11 Posts
My favorite thing about my Sig 226 is that it will happily eat anything it is given. My XD Sub-Compact has also never had any problems taking anything. As my M&Pc is still on order, I can only speak for the ones I test drove at a local range, but I found no problems in feeding any of the ammo I ran through them. I was also impressed with the accuracy and handling. Probably one of the best I've tested in the realm of compacts. That is why I decided to purchase one on order and (im)patiently await it's arrival.

Kevin

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Got it back from Smith on Wednesday morning. Have three different kinds of JHP ammo to run though it: SXT 147gr, Speer 115gr, and Speer 124+P "short barrel". Cycling rounds doesn't jam the gun like before, so I'm hopeful things are fixed.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I went and fired up a few different boxes of defensive rounds through my 9c the other day. I've gotta say that I'm glad NONE of them had any issues whatsoever. I've decided to stick with the Remington Gold Saber 147gr, as they placed a really nice grouping pattern with flawless cycling and recoil that was pleasant -- still stronger than your normal FMJ plinking rounds, but very acceptable for a defensive round unlike so many +P+ and magnum rounds

I hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got to the range today. Everything fired perfect. 500+ rounds, no jams, FTEs, FTFs, anything... flawless performance. Too bad it wasn't like this from the factory.

·
Registered
66 Posts
What did they do? Did you notice anything that they would have worked on. The only time I have a problem with feed is when the slide is back and I reload a new Mag and I try to cycle the slide forward. Once the gun is shooting it's fine. I've thought about polishing the feed ramp a bit right at the leading edge. I have noticed that it seems the feed ramp is polished on it's own from the rounds cycling thru and that it is a polished a little more on the left side of the ramp then the right.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts