MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a real sphincter pucker incident recently. I was developing a new minor load for a different style of 180 gr bullet. I was working up 20 rounds each at .2 grain powder increase intervals to find the 'sweet spot'. Chronoing merrily along at about 800 fps, BANG 1310 fps!

I broke the gun down and checked for any damage. I good visual check showed that all appeared to be well. I put it back together and finished the session with no further incidents. It was obvious that I had a double charge. While backing up, weighing, setting OAL, whatever....

I got very lucky this time around as I was working a minor load. I can only imagine the results had I been going for something hotter!

Now when doing small runs I stand up to load and visually verify every case at the seating station before I set the bullet.

I've since run 300-400 rounds thru my M&P and it continues to shoot flawlessly. A pretty good testament to the build quality of these guns!

Due to crazy ammo costs, lot's of people (myself included) are getting into reloading. I got a little complacent and got lucky in only ruining a pair of undershorts and adding a few gray hairs. Please be careful out there! :oops:

-edit- Just did the math 1310 fps X 180 gr. bullet = 235.8 PF

·
Registered
341 Posts
It happens, at least nothing bad came of it other then a pair of stained shorts

I know I've done once or twice, but I've been lucky enough to catch it before I seated the bullet in. That's why I like the chair I got the reloading, it sits me up high enough over the press that I can lean in a bit & see into the case in the powder station.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Good to hear youre OK...

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
if the gun is in one piece, odds are you didn't double charge it, just overcharged it. Or managed to set the bullet back a decent chunk.

What press are you using and with what powder measure? If you use something like the lee autodisk wrong, you can keep on having this crop up until it gets tragic.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
raz-0 said:
if the gun is in one piece, odds are you didn't double charge it, just overcharged it. Or managed to set the bullet back a decent chunk.

What press are you using and with what powder measure? If you use something like the lee autodisk wrong, you can keep on having this crop up until it gets tragic.

Press is Dillon 550. I was at 3.8 gr of HP38 behind 180 gr Bear Creek FP, crimped to .421.

All cartridges case gaged and OAL checked before going into the box.

I'm fairly sure it got backed up under the powder die a second time. A 500 fps 'surprise' on a minor load sure has a way of getting your attention!

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I run a Dillon XL650 with the powder check station. Keeps that from happening! Glad all is well!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Did you recover the case to see what it looked like? Any overpressure signs like flattened/flowed primer, flattened headstamp?

Cheers,

Whisper

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the heat of the moment I forgot to retrieve the casing. When I picked them all up afterwards I didn't see any obvious deformations. I will look thru the brass more carefully before the next cleaning / tumbling session.

The chrono was 10 feet from the muzzle.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Anything that interrupts the normal rhythm of reloading you need to stop and take careful note of what's going on, that's the point when mistakes can happen, when in doubt I'll remove the case and dump the powder, then throw it again just to be sure. When working with fast powders you can't really see an overcharge, the difference inside the case is too small.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
FYI.

Being relatively new at reloading and not wanting to generate a double charge, I have chosen powders that will not allow me to do so without case overflow. I load both 9MM and .40S&W with Vihta Vuori N340. It is a little more expensive than some of the older types and other brands but produces excellent results safely. You would have to be loading less than the minimum reccomended for a double charge to be possible without obvious indicators.

I hear a lot of complaints about Lee equipment but have had a great deal of success with my Lee Pro 1000. You have to purposely intervene in the normal mechanical cycle to cause a second powder drop. I have had 2 squib's (no powder) out of approximately 10,000 rounds. They occured when I was distracted but I realised they might be present so was watching for them. I probably should have torn down those batches but as there were quit a few in the bucket decided not to.

Have fun but be safe.

:twisted:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts