MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new M&P 9 mm has a small hex nut on the end of the guide rod. Can this be used to change spring weights?

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
yes.

ISMI springs are a good choice.

·
Registered
26 Posts
What if your guiderod doesn't have a hex nut at the end?

I have two M&P 9mm. One guiderod has the hex nut, the other doesn't. So, how do I remove the spring on the one that doesn't have the hex nut?

·
Registered
936 Posts
Re: What if your guiderod doesn't have a hex nut at the end?

Lightning said:
I have two M&P 9mm. One guiderod has the hex nut, the other doesn't. So, how do I remove the spring on the one that doesn't have the hex nut?
You dont; its replaced as a unit.

The way to go, imo is a glock 17 non captured steel guide rod.

Dont get a "lightning strike" brand guide rod, its too thick for ismi springs.

·
Registered
26 Posts

olyeller said:
[quote name='Lightning']I have two M&P 9mm. One guiderod has the hex nut, the other doesn't. So, how do I remove the spring on the one that doesn't have the hex nut?

The way to go, imo is a glock 17 non captured steel guide rod.

Dont get a "lightning strike" brand guide rod, its too thick for ismi springs.[/quote]

Thanks! That explains it. I have the ISMI springs. Guess I'll have order the guiderods.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Spring Change Follow-up

OK. I pciked up a GlockMeister tungsten guiderod (non-captured) for each of my M&Ps. They are guiderods for Glock model 17. Question - are the recoil springs for Glock 17s and M&Ps inter-changeable? They look the same.

·
Registered
936 Posts
yes, the MP uses glock springs.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
You can also get non captured M&P guide rods from Speed Shooters Specialties.

They are a sponsor here.

I ordered 3 of them last week.

·
Registered
26 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
You can also get non captured M&P guide rods from Speed Shooters Specialties.

They are a sponsor here.

I ordered 3 of them last week.

Yep. I get most of my stuff from them. Kenny is great. He was out of tungsten rods, that is why I ordered from GlockMiester.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
In fact, I just found a surprise out front!!!

My package was delivered today. I bought 1 tungsten and 2 SS rods, along with some springs.

They look to be very nice. I can't wait to try them out.

Olyeller, do you still want one of these SS rods???

·
Registered
31 Posts

olyeller said:
[quote name='Lightning']I have two M&P 9mm. One guiderod has the hex nut, the other doesn't. So, how do I remove the spring on the one that doesn't have the hex nut?

[/quote]

On the Guide Rod assy. I can just grind the end down, and use it as a non-captive rod....Right? Or am I missing something? Would this be legal for IDPA?

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
Well, by grinding the cap off, youre decreasing the overall length of the rod, and seeing as the rod end needs to be fully into the slide hole when the gun is in battery, it depends on how much has to be taken off to lose that cap. cause if the rod wedges inside the slide during cycling, youll have prevented the slide from cycling after a shot, which cant be good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I guess I should have said "turn down" instead of grind down. Keeping the oal.

I understand what your saying about the rod being long enough to stay in the through hole.

Thanks

·
Registered
936 Posts
it should work fine then, good uck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts