MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked one up. It is my first 1911 that I have bought, and I was wondering what I should have given for it. I picked it up off a friend that I work with complete with internal locks, bore brush, mags, case, and manual...I would say the gun is 95%. What should I have gave.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
The Springfield builds fine 1911s. The GI being the entry level. It is about as close to the GI issue as you can get.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
Springer builds great 1911's/ Even with the GI model you just got is by itself a fine pistol. Plus now you have plenty of room to slap some AMP's on there or leave it stock. Either way, congrats on your first 1911, they will become addicting :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,035 Posts
Just being a smartalic! I own a SA 1911 "Loaded", looked at the GI and thought it was a great value and a good place to start building a 1911. After som more homework I thought it would be easier, and not much more money, just to go with a higher model. You got a great deal on a fine firearm.



p.s.- I don't own a Colt handgun :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,535 Posts
+1 on the loaded, love mine more and more as the days pass!!!!



coltman1985 said:
Just being a smartalic! I own a SA 1911 "Loaded", looked at the GI and thought it was a great value and a good place to start building a 1911. After som more homework I thought it would be easier, and not much more money, just to go with a higher model. You got a great deal on a fine firearm.



p.s.- I don't own a Colt handgun :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I don't think that I will do any modifications to it. To make it correct for military standards I need to lose those GI grips, but weren't the originals blued ( especially in the Vietnam era) If so I think I will have it refinished in a blued look and then give it to my dad for a Christmas present being as he had a purple heart awarded on one of his tours over there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
367 Posts
I know of a few "lower end" Springers around here that have over 25k rounds through them. One in particular is pushing 40k rounds and gets carried every day.



You got a good deal on it IMO even by gunbroker standards. I just got a Mil-Spec in stainless (not GI Mil-spec) and I love it (paid quite a bit more for it too). The loaded model is a great deal if you are going for the suped up 1911 but for a nostalgic gun that goes bang every single time, the GI is perfect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,361 Posts
koumiss45 said:
To make it correct for military standards I need to lose those GI grips, but weren't the originals blued
The military issue were parkerized. It's much more durable than blue.



give it to my dad for a Christmas present being as he had a purple heart awarded on one of his tours over there.
I'd leave it as is and I think your dad will be floored. You're a good son!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
show some close up pics... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
319 Posts
sholling said:
The Springfield builds fine 1911s. The GI being the entry level. It is about as close to the GI issue as you can get.


And it can shoot too.

my old SA GI 45. first time I took it out when i bought it. I forgot what the condition was. I think it was at either 20yds or 25yds off hand.





Remenber, it was first time I shot 1911 of any sort!



I say thats fine combat accuracy!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top