MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Smith & Wesson have announced that they have provided their hometown police department, Springfield PD, with over 600 new duty pistols. Springfield PD will be receiving new M&P M2.0s to replace their current M&P40 pistols, it’s unclear if the department will be moving to 9x19mm or whether the M2.0s will be in .40S&W.

Mark Smith, President and CEO of Smith & Wesson; Springfield Police Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood (Smith & Wesson)
Here’s Smith & Wesson’s statement:
Smith & Wesson Inc. announced today that the city of Springfield, Massachusetts has transitioned to the Smith & Wesson M&P M2.0 as its official duty pistol. Previously, the Springfield Police Department’s primary duty pistol was Smith & Wesson’s M&P40 pistol. Smith & Wesson will be providing over 600 pistols as part of this upgrade, including four engraved pistols for Springfield Police Department’s Command Staff. Smith & Wesson presented the Springfield Police Department with their engraved pistols during a recent ceremony at Smith & Wesson’s headquarters in Springfield, Massachusetts.
“The new M&P M2.0, with its aggressive texturing and tactile trigger reset, provides law enforcement with the ultimate in reliability and dependability. This upgrade to the M&P M2.0 should carry the Springfield Police Department through many years of service. Most importantly, we’re proud that our pistols are called on to protect law enforcement in Smith & Wesson’s hometown of Springfield, Massachusetts,” said Matthew Fehmel, Senior Director of Global Professional & International Sales for Smith & Wesson.
“We’re very appreciative of the entire team at Smith & Wesson. They have the best and safest products on the market. Their company being based in our city and many of their employees living in Springfield has led to a long-term partnership that our officers take pride in,” said Springfield Police Commissioner Cheryl Clapprood.
The M&P M2.0 comes with four interchangeable palmswell inserts and a light, crisp M2.0 trigger with a tactile and audible reset. The pistol features a molded polymer frame designed for comfort and durability, as well as the optimal M&P pistol 18-degree grip angle for a natural point of aim. Chambered in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 Auto, the M&P M2.0 pistol is available in full size, compact, and subcompact variants."

·
Registered
175 Posts
I expect they'll be 9mm. Most departments follow the FBI's lead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I went from .40 to 9mm because I found i can shoot the 9mm better. I don't give a dang what the FBI is using.
"Shoot better"...meaning what exactly? I assume quick, multiple shots are more on target? Due to recoil? Single shots are similar between calibers?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Yes, placing multiple rounds accurately and faster, but slow fire as well.
I've had 4 fullsize M&P 40's and none would do better than 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches at 25 yards. I tried a half dozen types of ammo. Last spring I got a 9mm (5 inch FDE) and just about every ammo I've put through it will group 2 inches.
Even cheap range ammo. Not condemning all .40s as inaccurate, but mine were.

I'm not recoil shy, having shot thousands of rounds of 10mm, .44 mag and heavy .45 Colt loads.
I just never could get decent accuracy out of any of those FS .40's
I could always do better with my PC Shield in .40, I actually kept it and carried it for 4 years, before going back to a .45 Shield.
There are a couple other guys on this forum that have said the same about their .40 M&Ps.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Both my .45 and 9 M&P 2.0 Compacts have proven to be very accurate for stock defense pistols.

Shot the new 9 a week ago at 25 yards and consistently hit a 4" gong after adjusting my aim to the bottom of the target.

My .45 has made solid hits out to about 40 yards or so with range and defense ammo.

Neither gun seemed to care much about bullet weight or type.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, placing multiple rounds accurately and faster, but slow fire as well.
I've had 4 fullsize M&P 40's and none would do better than 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 inches at 25 yards. I tried a half dozen types of ammo. Last spring I got a 9mm (5 inch FDE) and just about every ammo I've put through it will group 2 inches.
Even cheap range ammo. Not condemning all .40s as inaccurate, but mine were.

I'm not recoil shy, having shot thousands of rounds of 10mm, .44 mag and heavy .45 Colt loads.
I just never could get decent accuracy out of any of those FS .40's
I could always do better with my PC Shield in .40, I actually kept it and carried it for 4 years, before going back to a .45 Shield.
There are a couple other guys on this forum that have said the same about their .40 M&Ps.
Interesting. Good info. Thank you. I wonder if it was the barrel length that made the difference. Others like the compact 9mm over the compact .40 so maybe not. o_O

·
Registered
16 Posts
I love my 9mm M&P2.0. I recently purchased a steyr M40 due to available 9mm ammo. Haven't been to the range with it yet though. I cant wait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I'm curious as to what other Law Enforcement Agencies use the S&W 2.0 pistols. I personally prefer the .40 cal.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I would be there ate many departments using the M2.0. Plus you have to consider that many departments just have an approved list for offciers to pick from. I would think the M2.0 is on a lot of those lists.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts