MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Optics and guns with optics/optic cuts are a hot ticket right now. I wonder how long it will take S&W to offer this on standard guns instead of only on the PC or Pro Series.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
For the unwashed masses, Glock pioneered the MOS as SOP with their Gen4 series.

Surprised the folks at S&W have been slow to pull the trigger (pun intended) on this simple concept.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The cost of a good optic (good = reliable in rough conditions) is about the same cost of a new M&P, maybe a bit more).

There's a reason why rough and ready shooters put RMRs on their pistols and not burris, vortecs, etc., etc., etc. Yes, there are a couple new Holosuns that are impressing people with their reliability (got one to try, haven't decided on the gun to put it on yet.)

While I see more people putting these on their handguns I can't see it being a really big thing as compared to those people that won't spend the extra money.

Just my opinion.

I resisted spending an extra $600 (cost of the RMR plus milling, back up sights/milling/installation and refinishing the slide after the milling) for years - on a $400 pistol. But, after I did the first one I had the second one in the mail to Primary Machine the very next week.

Not everyone will put out that extra investment.

The gun companies are going to charge more for an optics ready pistol than for a standard pistol. It's extra machine time/work to make an optics ready pistol and supply mounting plates for the different optics.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I believe the price point on these will be $200 for now. That’s where the Vortex, Holosun, and Burris are. Some will pay the $400-$600 for RMR or Shield. But for someone like me, doing several guns, that won’t be happening. I paid over $400 for an Eotech for my AR, but after buying a Vortex and a Fastfire; I see spending that much won’t be necessary. I don’t really need one on a carry handgun; they are more for the range. They are great for target shooting, especially for older folks with their eyesight getting worse.

Of course the gun companies will put a higher MSRP on optics ready handguns. But that will just be a marketing tool. The cost to add the cut to the slide, drill and tap two more holes and add a plastic cover is negligible. Look at the pricing on M&P now. I bought my last M&P40 M2.0 Compact 4” for $330 new. Shields are under $300. S&W might be slow to add it to their standard line because right now, it bumps the buyer into a PC gun. It will probably depend on who all adds it to their guns.

When I see shops charging $160 (or more) plus shipping both ways to cut a slide; I doubt that many people are going that route. Of course you will have some. But I doubt most will be able to justify that cost added to the cost of the sight.

S&W has been pretty good about giving users what they want with the M&P line. Who knows; maybe they will jump on this.

In the times we are in changes come a lot faster than they did in the old days. I expect these changes will come within months. But of course; I could be wrong.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I think the Springfield Hellcat just set the new market with a $30 difference between optics. I believe the mos on glock is a cost difference which to me puts you in core pc territory anyway and their gun cost more. Plus they don’t come with cowitness sights you have to still buy them on a 600 gun. I think smith is doing fine with the core pc market. Now if they had pc with the apex trigger, Dawson cowitness sights out of the box I would have bought it that way instead of spending my money on it.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think the Springfield Hellcat just set the new market with a $30 difference between optics. I believe the mos on glock is a cost difference which to me puts you in core pc territory anyway and their gun cost more. Plus they don’t come with cowitness sights you have to still buy them on a 600 gun. I think smith is doing fine with the core pc market. Now if they had pc with the apex trigger, Dawson cowitness sights out of the box I would have bought it that way instead of spending my money on it.
Both the Hellcat and the Sig 365XL are available with the optic cut, without paying for an overpriced optic or "Special Edition" firearm.

I'm sure S&W will do that. I understand they have to milk everything they can out of these "PC" guns. I just hope they do it soon. :laughing:

·
Registered
38 Posts
The full size M&P that are OR are out there, I picked from LEO distributor last month a M&P 2.0 CORE last month so I would expect they should available very soon.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Ya know, who really knows man? With as long as it took S&W to release the 2.0 CORE's it doesn't appear as if they're in any type of hurry to get optic equipped guns out. My guess is that they'll have an optic ready Shield variant and the CORE, and that's it. But that's just a guess. I'd love to be wrong.

·
Registered
421 Posts
A pistol for self defense should really have a reliable red dot on it. Would you carry a pistol that was unreliable?

An RMR, DP Pro, 507C are really wide compared to a Shield slide (or even a CZ75/1911, etc.)

The smaller red dot sights are not reported to be as reliable as those three. They fit the narrower slides pretty well but won't hold up to hard use.

They make adaptors for the bigger red dots to allow mounting on narrow slides, but they still look awkward as hell sticking out over the sides of the slide - and slit up higher making back up sights more difficult as well.

I've heard (doesn't make it true) that Holosun is coming out with re dot specifically for the narrower slide/smaller pistols. If so I would be in the market for one for a P07 (if they are reliable as the bigger Holosun model.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I've heard (doesn't make it true) that Holosun is coming out with re dot specifically for the narrower slide/smaller pistols.
Yes they are. The 507K (circle and dot reticle) and 407K (dot only) are narrow, small and have the same footprint as the Sig Romeo Zero and Shield RMSc. They will be less expensive than the Shield but a bit higher than the Romeo Zero and probably better built than either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts