MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to get some more input on the Steel Challenge. I only have four mags so I can't participate in the SSP "division" but I was told I can compete in the Limited "division" with only four mags. Is that correct? Is the Steel Challenge like IDPA? I'm new to the competition arena, I just recently competed in my first IDPA competition, now I'm looking to compete in the Steel Challenge also. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why can't you shoot in "SSP" division in Steel Challenge? What does the quantity of magazines you possess have anything to do with it?

Steel Challenge and IDPA are two different style of shooting with different rules, scoring, emphasis.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Steel Challenge is shot with 5 strings on each stage and they throw out the worst string.

It sounds like if he runs in Limited division he can load his high cap mags full and get 5 runs out of 4 mags.

Steel Challenge is pretty much the ultimate high speed shooting sport. The ammo Power Factor required is 120, which is pretty low. Since all the stages are known before the match and stay the same for years, you can practice the stages and really groove them in.

Steel Challenge is not much like IDPA, there is no shooting on the move, there is movement between shooting boxes. There are no mandated reloads, use of cover, etc.

There are a lot of precision shots on various steel at various distances.

It's a blast.

http://www.isishootists.com/scsa/steel_challenge_rules.html

Thanks, Gringop

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, the match coordinator told me to do both but someone would have to reload a clip for me while I was on the move for SSP. I'm just planning to do the Limited since I don't want to hold anyone back.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I run a Steel Challenge style match here in Ohio.

http://pcsirange.com

The stages require a maximum of 5 shots to complete a run. (if you don't miss).

You do 5 runs on each stage. The timer stops after each run and you reload off the clock.

4 hicap mags ought to be more than enough.

·
Registered
240 Posts
crazypilot said:
Well, the match coordinator told me to do both but someone would have to reload a clip for me while I was on the move for SSP. I'm just planning to do the Limited since I don't want to hold anyone back.

You got everything all fubar

Limited is USPSA. I would think that 4 magazines (17 x 4 = 68 plus 1 in the chamber = 69) are enough.

SSP is IDPA. You can only wear 2 magazines on your body plus one magazine in the gun [(2 x 10) + 10 + 1 = 31 ]. The maximum capacity allowed loaded in the magazine is 10 plus 1 in the chamber.

Steel Challenge allows the maximum magazine capacity. Like others explained to you, each run in SC has 5 plates that you need to hit. You can have a 30 rounds magazine but if you need more than 6 or 7 rounds to clean your string, you're in a heap of trouble. Quickest 4 runs out of 5 determine your stage score.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I went out and bought my 5th mag so I don't have to worry about it anymore. Thanks for the input.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts