MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I did manage to get out and fire off a few rounds through my new baby!!! She firers like a dream, the trigger breaks like glass thanks to Dan and the sight picture with the 10-8 is awesome!!! Now all I got to shoot was a few dirt clod's considering all we have right now is farm country surrounding us
But I managed to get 4 clips emptied and man she is a champion to say the least!!! I was lucky to get my neighbor up and out of the house to show me were to shoot. But he wanted to go back home so it was cut short. He is more of a hunter than shooter.

Anyway, I am rambling here.

My question for you brothers is this:

What are some good steel targets to use under $100$ just to give me a little something to target shoot until I can get the real deal. Just curious what others are using as a cheap alternate target?? Dirt clods will never cut it...lmao

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
I like steel plates, they are fairly easy to make and not to expensive. All you need is a steel plate .5-.75" thick, weld a small base and find some 3-4' re-bar weld a base on the top and you have a portable shooting target. You can make either 5", 8" or 10" plates either way its fun and safe to shoot.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
OK first off those aren't 10-8 sights they are mine

try and find a place that sells steel locally and have then see if they can cut out some either round or square plates from at least 1/2 in thick steel. For most handgun stuff you don't have to have the armor plate, It is nice to have but not necessary.

I have three three 8 in round plate I drill 1/2 in holes on the top, then took some 3/8 in rebar and bent a hook at the top for the plate to hang from. Makes for endless hours of fun without ever having to reset a target. My buddy took some plates welded some rebar on the back then bent a hook in the rebar he hangs them from another piece of rebar that he has across a couple 4x4 uprights.

My friend used an old I bean he found in his scrap pile and used the oxy-acetlene torch to cut out his plates.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
We can always get them back if we need to Dan, I know where he lives...

:wink:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
I have been thinkin' about makin' my own too! I like Dan's idea of hangin' them so you do not have to reset. I'll be callin the steel guys this week. Thanks FF, I didn't really need another project right now.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Should shooting FMJ"s at steel plates in Dan's setup be avoided because of potential ricochet? I know there is always a potential for Ricochet when ever you shoot, but hanging steel plates by rebar seems to be asking for a bruising when using FMJ

·
Registered
673 Posts
I have some targets and frames made from Bisalloy. I don't know what the equivalent is over there... The Bisalloy is a high-tensile and abrasion-resistant quenched and tempered steel plate. It is roughly 2x the strength of normal steel, so a 1/4" plate is about the same strength as 1/2". Also it is high impact resistant. This stuff makes for a light target that really swings good! It won't bend either.

I hang them on chain. I got into them a while back with the rifle... :roll: I will be making some more.

BTW, you need special drills to drill it so oxy is the best way to cut and put holes in.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LOL, see brother....Thats why I wanted the list of work you put on so I wont look like some azzmonkey
I guess its too late now, I already dug my own grave. All I had on my MP9 was the standard Novak, so the Warrens/10-8's all I saw were pictures.
Forgive me Dan, now that I know they are yours, that just makes it that much better brother!!!!

As far as cutting my own steel targets, I will be looking into that for sure. There are alot of good ol country boys in my area that have welding shops etc. Plus my neighbor pretyt much knows everyone in the Polouse area so I think I( might just try finding a good ol boy to help me out!

Thanks for the guidance Dan! And again Woops on the sights....lmfao
:roll:
:? :oops:

Dan Burwell said:
OK first off those aren't 10-8 sights they are mine

try and find a place that sells steel locally and have then see if they can cut out some either round or square plates from at least 1/2 in thick steel. For most handgun stuff you don't have to have the armor plate, It is nice to have but not necessary.

I have three three 8 in round plate I drill 1/2 in holes on the top, then took some 3/8 in rebar and bent a hook at the top for the plate to hang from. Makes for endless hours of fun without ever having to reset a target. My buddy took some plates welded some rebar on the back then bent a hook in the rebar he hangs them from another piece of rebar that he has across a couple 4x4 uprights.

My friend used an old I bean he found in his scrap pile and used the oxy-acetlene torch to cut out his plates.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Bravo said:
Should shooting FMJ"s at steel plates in Dan's setup be avoided because of potential ricochet? I know there is always a potential for Ricochet when ever you shoot, but hanging steel plates by rebar seems to be asking for a bruising when using FMJ

I find I get less splatter with my hanging plate than I do from the traditional falling plate. My theory is my plate hinges at the top directing splatter down at the ground where the falling plate hinge at the bottom and directs a little more of the splatter up into the air.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
LMFAO, one of the reasons I dissapeared from around here for awhile....lmao So much going on here to not spend money I just dont have....lmao

How you been brother? Havent chatted with you ina bit.

coltman1985 said:
I have been thinkin' about makin' my own too! I like Dan's idea of hangin' them so you do not have to reset. I'll be callin the steel guys this week. Thanks FF, I didn't really need another project right now.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
[quote name='Bravo']Should shooting FMJ"s at steel plates in Dan's setup be avoided because of potential ricochet? I know there is always a potential for Ricochet when ever you shoot, but hanging steel plates by rebar seems to be asking for a bruising when using FMJ

I find I get less splatter with my hanging plate than I do from the traditional falling plate. My theory is my plate hinges at the top directing splatter down at the ground where the falling plate hinge at the bottom and directs a little more of the splatter up into the air.[/quote]

That's about it Dan. I haven't shot pistol FMJ on plate before but lead splatters good.

I think i will try the solid bar set up like yours instead of chain. The chain tends to swing for a while. I might even use flat bar to get a true forward back swing... mmm idea?!

What size target for about 45 feet do you blokes recommend?

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
243ww said:
What size target for about 45 feet do you blokes recommend?

I use 8 in round plate but that is because that is the size of the zero down area od an IDPA target. If you are going to be shooting IPSC I'd get them cut to the size of the A zone.

Whatever way you do it try and make them different heights so you don't get to used to targets always being lined up just perfect.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Dan Burwell said:
[quote name='243ww']What size target for about 45 feet do you blokes recommend?

I use 8 in round plate but that is because that is the size of the zero down area od an IDPA target. If you are going to be shooting IPSC I'd get them cut to the size of the A zone.

Whatever way you do it try and make them different heights so you don't get to used to targets always being lined up just perfect.[/quote]

No worries. Good words.

Just googled "steel targets" and got some more ideas...

IPSC is about 6" i reckon.

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
I use 3/8" truck frame.. I mean 18 wheeler frame, its hardened, and usually easy to find. I weld a chain to it and hang from re-bar .

I actually have an old oxygen tank with a pc of angle iron welded on top to form a T. I filled the tank with slag. I have 6 plates hanging from the angle iron an different hts.

Shooting all 6, , then starting over is a challenge, they are still swinging when you get to them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Look at these plates from letargets.com

http://www.letargets.com/html/steel3.html

2/3 down this page are Steel Knockdown plates. I made a mistake when I got my first batch and got 5" plates. These are a bit small for speed shooting with a pistol at the minimum distance of 10 yards for steel. I got some 8" and 12" plates later.

But as others have said, plates can be a pain because you have to go reset them. So I got an Auto Reset Popper (1/2 way down on this page.

http://www.letargets.com/html/steel2.html

I knew I was going to be shooting 223 at it so I got the AR500 steel. These days I barely use the plates and just bring out the popper.

Letargets never charged me shipping because I bought a lot.

Gringop

·
Registered
280 Posts
Shooting steel is really fun. I like the audio feedback, as well as the motion & reset of the fallers. Even a rigid stand-up steel target (angled to properly deflect rounds downward, of course) is great.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts