MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking to build a steel target for when i go to my property and shoot. Better a steel target then chopping down trees!!! :? .... So i was curious if anyone has built there own and would like to share the dimensions they used I.E. the angles of the plates and so on....

Thanks for your feedback

·
Registered
65 Posts
I haven't built built one for myself but here is some info re. steel target design. It is from Action Targets and has some salesman stuff but has good info.

http://lonestar.texas.net/~mberg/guns/Stee...ource_Guide.pdf

I bought some steel targets from Law Enforcement Targets (www.letargets.com)

The best one that gets used the most is a hinged 1/3 size popper. You gotta love a target that you don't have to reset.

You really need to have some good quality steel, unless you are only shooting 22s. Once steel gets all dinged and cratered it spits lead and copper jacket right back at you.

Gringop

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CLB said:
[quote name='PPCmaster']the steel im using is about 3/4 inch thick.. seems to be good steel

AR500 is ideal steel.[/quote]

Yeah i cant be certian how hard the steel is... to me it seems like it will do the job for most any pistol ammo short of the FN's 5.7x28mm round.... but the only way to know for sure is to try it out..

Iv decided to build a frame in which the plate will sit; this should do two things for me

1) allow me to replace the steel targets if need be and

2) it will give the steel some slack to move when its hit. so if the steel isnt as hard as i would like than the give it has should help compensate... as long as im not shooting .308 or 7.62's at it i think it will be fine

1 - 5 of 5 Posts