• No, keep the Steyr

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my first post here

I recently handled M&P in 9mm for the first time and have to say liked it a bit (although never been a huge fan of plastic guns). Btw but I do have a Steyr M9-A1 (as well as 92FS and P226).

Anyways the only way for me to get the M&P right now is to sell the Steyr. Should I do it? :? Would you say S&W is a better gun? Anyone owns/ have experience with both? Which one do you like better?

And no I can’t keep the Setyr and get a M&P… lol

·
Registered
257 Posts
Sell it, Steyr is out of business...you're hosed if the gun breaks. We have one at the shop that we can't get fixed...customer just left it for dead (so to speak). Their trigger is funky as all hell, too.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Bangor Punta is long enough ago in S&W's past that I've forgiven (if not forgotten). Steyr & iran is not long enough. But I'm originally from Missouri and that's just the way we look at things.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sell it, Steyr is out of business...you're hosed if the gun breaks. We have one at the shop that we can't get fixed...customer just left it for dead (so to speak). Their trigger is funky as all hell, too.
Oh no they’re not out of business… the was brief moment of ‘uncertainty’ but Steyr Arms is staying in US...and they do repair guns! your customer shoud give thrm a call!

not sure what you mean about the trigger but it's definitely not bad for DAO gun...

·
Registered
312 Posts
Gray_Wolf said:
Oh no they’re not out of business… the was brief moment of ‘uncertainty’ but Steyr Arms is staying in US...and they do repair guns! your customer shoud give thrm a call!

not sure what you mean about the trigger but it's definitely not bad for DAO gun...

GW, are you pretty certain about that? If so, it would be half-good news, the Steyr HQ is about 7-10 miles from my house. I was about this close >--< to getting a Steyr when I heard about the "difficulties".

I had heard the remaining stocks of parts had been sold to Numrich(?), I think.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say yes...you can try www.steyrclub.com for more info

btw CDNN have Steyrs for $349 which is a hell of a deal, I'd say get one while you can! 8)

PS: I just took mine out from a safe and played with it a bit, and I'm not so sure I want to part with it :?

·
Registered
403 Posts
This is probably a pretty biased placed to pose that question!! I chose the M&P over the Steyr but I would still love to get one. When I was divorced years back I sold all of my guns to buy food. I like food, sucks not to have it. But I did learn something, I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED KEEPING A GUN. I will probably never sell another gun. If I want another one or a different one, this one goes in a safe. Now I did trade a Bersa 9mm for a CZ52 a while back. While this did break my golden rule I just didn't feel it was a gun I would ever feel the need to take out to the range. I do still miss it though. The CZ is a keeper however. The Steyr is also a unique weapon, and a good one at that. It is worthy of a spot in the safe. I would suggest that, if you are able, you keep the Steyr and save up for the M&P. You won't regret having both but you may regret not.

·
Registered
210 Posts
jon_in_wv said:
But I did learn something, I HAVE NEVER REGRETTED KEEPING A GUN...You won't regret having both but you may regret not.

I'd have to agree. If you don't have to, don't sell the Steyr. Maybe give it some shelf time while you enjoy the M&P.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I carried a Keltec P-11 for a few years until I had the oppurtunity (read funds) to get an M&P. I did not sell the P-11. It makes a mice hide-out house gun. I know I would regret it if I sold it and I'm glad I kept it. The Steyr is a unique and wonderful gun. KEEP IT!!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I own both guns.

While the M&P is a superb American made firearm the Steyr is a bit more refined.

The manual of arms on them is the pretty much the same. The M&P has a slight edge with the interchangeable back straps, but the Steyr has a bit better grip and trigger (for me)

The M&P has a slight edge in capacity and has a 1/4" longer barrel.

I think both are superb weapons and you can't go wrong with either.

BTW, Steyr is not out of business and has customer support just shy of S&W's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts