MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a shield today and was comparing it to my other shield that i bouth a month ago. I have discovered that the new shield has an extremely stiff safety. I have an extremely hard time with the new shield. It actually hurts my thumb to switch the safety off. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
219 Posts
My Shield40 safety was a little stiff to begin with, but after cleaning and some time with dry-fire drills and actual shooting, it has loosened up a bit, and now works very nicely with a sweep of the thumb, with a positive lock in either the safe or fire positions.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Both of my 40 shields were stiff out of box but have loosened some with use. Keep working it and it should "break in" with time

·
Registered
733 Posts
If you carry the Shield with the safety on, good luck turning it off in an emergency. It's awful small. I carry mine with it off. No different than the other M&P's without a safety.

·
Registered
72 Posts
If you carry the Shield with the safety on, good luck turning it off in an emergency. It's awful small. I carry mine with it off. No different than the other M&P's without a safety.
terrible excuse, if you train the way you carry, the safety should not be a problem.

My 9 was a little stiff but after working it and training with it, it has gotten a better feel. It has a snap on and snap off. No questions on which one it is in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i carry and train with my shield with the safety on. The new shield is for my wife to carry. I have been working it on/off and but some lube on it to try last night and this morning and no change. But it has not changed at all. i calle S&W this afternoon. They will fix the safety for no charge. Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've compared my Shield 9 safety with other Shields at gun stores. Mine isn't any different from any others I've tried. It is stiff, but I now find it natural to brush it when I draw to safety-off.

The safety was one of the factors in favor of my purchase and I've drawn it and flicked the safety off as I draw literally thousands of times and it is now totally second nature. I pocket carry in a Blackhawk #4 most of the time and quite frankly with how I carry, I feel better with having a safety.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've compared my Shield 9 safety with other Shields at gun stores. Mine isn't any different from any others I've tried. It is stiff, but I now find it natural to brush it when I draw to safety-off.

The safety was one of the factors in favor of my purchase and I've drawn it and flicked the safety off as I draw literally thousands of times and it is now totally second nature. I pocket carry in a Blackhawk #4 most of the time and quite frankly with how I carry, I feel better with having a safety.
Any one ever tell you, that you look like Dan Haggerty?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wanted to give an update on the shield that I sent back for repair. They fixed the stiff safety and sent me a free 7rd magazine back with the gun. It was easy to deal with S&W on this issue.

·
Registered
249 Posts
terrible excuse, if you train the way you carry, the safety should not be a problem.

My 9 was a little stiff but after working it and training with it, it has gotten a better feel. It has a snap on and snap off. No questions on which one it is in.
I don't see it as a terrible excuse. I have looked at the Shield and have been thinking about getting one. If I do I will either remove or disable the safety in the off position. I carry M&P's (FS & Compact) w/o safeties and do not desire one on a Shield if I should buy one for the very training issue you state. As a matter of not using safeties why would I introduce one where I do not use one normally?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I don't see it as a terrible excuse. I have looked at the Shield and have been thinking about getting one. If I do I will either remove or disable the safety in the off position. I carry M&P's (FS & Compact) w/o safeties and do not desire one on a Shield if I should buy one for the very training issue you state. As a matter of not using safeties why would I introduce one where I do not use one normally?
Exactly. It wasn't a terrible excuse at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My safety was so close to the frame and stiff that it was difficult to sweep off when I first got my 9mm shield. I'm used to a 1911 style safety and I like having a safety. If you don't, that's great.
I am trying different things to build up the outside of the safety.
I first tried nail polish, many layers for build thickness, not enough bulk. I used acetone and removed it completely.
Currently I am using a 5 minute epoxy. I used painters tape underneath the lever and protected the rest of the gun, I pushed the tape into crevasses and corners.
(First attempt) (thick epoxy layer just popped off the grooved face, it wasn't applied to the hidden sides, back and top of the lever)
(Second attempt) The base coat was on the thin side and I made sure it coated the back sides of the safety lever. Also coated the front and back as well as the little flat spot on top just under where the slide rides. After it dried, I applied 2 more medium coats of epoxy. Tipping the gun up and down to get a nice even coat of epoxy on the lever. It came out VERY smooth and rounded (just as I hoped) using gravity to pull the epoxy where I wanted it as it dried. I've tried it out and it came out perfect!. It if lasts I'll be ecstatic. If not then it will be time for JB weld to bulk up the thumb safety.
It protrudes from the slide just about 1/16th of an inch, has nice rounded front and back edges, not sharp corners at all. When I lay my thumbs down the side of the slide it feels natural because the corners are smooth. I do not know if it is resistant to chemicals normally used to clean our firearms. I don't usually soak my plastic frames in Hoppes #9 anyway. ;)

Here's a couple of pics for ya.
Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
My M&P Shield is very easy to flick off the safety. It catches right on my inner thumb knuckle, but I wear XL glove size. I find it a little difficult to engage, so I use my left hand to put the safety on.

Do the people that have difficulty with manual safeties have small hands?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have small hands and have no trouble engaging or disengaging the safety. I roll around with my safety ON, but train that when I grab, to flick my thrumb and turn it off. just a piece of mind.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts