MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
I went back and forth myself A LOT. My Dad decided on the .40c and I followed his lead. I was really impressed and I'm glad I got the 40

·
Registered
69 Posts
Same here, I was debating for a while too, and I went with the .40 as well. The recoil difference is negligible. The ammo price difference is a consideration, depending on how much you are going to shoot. If you are going to shoot A LOT, then I would probably suggest the 9. If not, then I would go for the .40. Besides, variety is the spice of life, right??

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I started with a 9 fullsize and ended up getting the 40 fullsize. They are both great guns but for the difference in recoil I prefer the power of the 40, so I sold the 9. Same story with the compacts, the 9 is my fiance's.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Get a 40c and be done with it...

·
Registered
54 Posts
My first compact was the 9 after shooting it and the 40 compact at Smith & Wesson Days at my local gunshop/range. I would have bought the .40 that day but they didn't have it in stock. About two weeks latter I found a 40 compact at another gunshop I frequent. I love them both. The 9 compact is great to put holes in paper all day and the 40 compact is great if you want to carry. I'm still waiting on the .357 compact, I love that round.

Dennis

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you don't reload but end up shooting a lot (at least several hundred rounds a month) then that $6/100 difference in price can start to add up quickly. If money isn't a factor then go shoot them both and decide which one you like better.

If this is going to be your CCW and you're concerned about effectiveness then you can quickly sink into the 9mm vs .40 debate. My personal research (consisting mostly of talking to people like Snowman92D over at GlockTalk who have dedicated much of their lives to studying terminal ballistics) has convinced me to believe that, with the proper selection in ammunition, the 9mm can perform close enough to the .40 to make any differences negligible. There are a handful of 9mm loads out there (127 gr +P+ Rangers, 124gr +P Gold Dots, etc) than seem to be doing very well. In general it seems that you're much less likely to find a poor performer in the .40 spectrum than you are with the 9mm so you'll need to be a little more selective with the latter.

I personally carry the 127 gr +P+ Rangers in my G19 and my (soon-to-be) M&P9.

Of course, if you just have to have the .40 for no other reason than to just own one -- and I can understand this irresistable drive -- then just get it and be done with it.

·
Registered
638 Posts
40SX said:
My first compact was the 9 after shooting it and the 40 compact at Smith & Wesson Days at my local gunshop/range. I would have bought the .40 that day but they didn't have it in stock. About two weeks latter I found a 40 compact at another gunshop I frequent. I love them both. The 9 compact is great to put holes in paper all day and the 40 compact is great if you want to carry. I'm still waiting on the .357 compact, I love that round.

Dennis

Ditto on the .357 SIG my favorite caliber after the .45 ACP. I am selling my M&Pc 9mm by the way, VA residents only. When they come out with the M&P .357 SIG it will get my interest for sure.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have decided on the .40, I know 9 can be just as good, but I agree that it is harder to find a poor .40 round. I have my carry permit and that too is a factor, plus I have a 9mm already. Thanks for the suggestions. I also like the thought of being able to try the .357 round too. .40 it is!

·
Registered
638 Posts
dblagent said:
I have decided on the .40, I know 9 can be just as good, but I agree that it is harder to find a poor .40 round. I have my carry permit and that too is a factor, plus I have a 9mm already. Thanks for the suggestions. I also like the thought of being able to try the .357 round too. .40 it is!

Enjoy. And keep thinking .357 SIG. It's a hoot and a half to shoot. I hope once S&W does introduce the M&P in .357 Sig, they will also offer .357 Sig conversion barrels for those of us with the .40. I have converted Glocks and Sigs in .40SW to .357Sig and switch back and forth for carry. Overall, I find the .357 SIG to more accurate and just plain more fun to shoot. And since I reload .357 SIG, I can afford to shoot a lot of it.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
dblagent said:
Well, the .40c is ordered! Now to start looking for all the accys I want/need. M&P Store will be getting a visit soon too. Thanks again all.

Great choice, you wont be disappointed.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Re: Still deciding on 40 or 9, going to get one tomorrow I t

dblagent said:
Well, I am giving up and getting a M&P compact I think. I kept waiting for the 9c to hit $399 at Buds and then when it did I started thinking about the 40c. I'm still trying to decide, I have a CZ p-01 9mm that I love, was going to get a slightly smaller 9. I have never shot a .40, though I have shot a lot of .45 and 9mm. I am not recoil shy, but on one had keeping it all 9mm would be nice, then there is that nice powerful .40...... I checked ammo prices and there is not that big of a difference in price, only like $5-6 more for 100 rounds of .40.

I'll decide soon enough I expect!

I too have been going through the same dilema as you can see I have a full size .40 and love it I have sold many people to the idea of an m&p using my .40 but with the compact and it being my ccw I decided to get a 9c I have shot the subcompact xd .40 and it was nice but I wasnt as accurate maybe just different gun but I know I will be very happy with my 9c good luck with the .40c-Jason

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was having one heck of a time deciding between the 40c and the 9c - I made the "final" decision - then changed it - changed it again - was even a heart beat away from buying a Glock 19 - before I went ahead and bought the 9c.

I already have the M&P40 full size - (plus one other 40 caliber) my only 9MM - until today that is - was a Kahr PM9.

I see it this way - at least for me.

Since I only had one 9MM it seemed like a good idea to have a second -

I bought 2,000 rounds of Winchester 9MM last year before prices went UP ($4.63 a box) - also have 500 or so rounds of JHP's of various types -plus 9MM is cheaper to buy - in only 10,000 rounds I will have saved the price of the gun - so I will consider it to have been free!

My hands are starting to become weak - arthritis runs in the family - plus some RSI. I can still shoot a 40 - but I think in 10 years even a 9MM may even be hard to handle.

I am trying to get my wife interested in shooting - I know I can't push her - but one of her friends likes to shoot and a few times she though it would be ok to go to the range - I had her hold an M&P compact and she likes the way it feels in her hand - I think she can handle a 9MM - good place to start.

PLUS - I can always buy the 40c once the local prices come down to $400.

·
Registered
59 Posts
modiecast said:
I took the easy way out and bought both.

I also thought about doing this - the problem was the 2 free magazine promotion S&W is running - has (in part) caused the price of M&P's to jump. M&P's that were on sale for $399 - $429 have jumped in price - now $450 is the least expensive gun I see locally. I know one guy pretty well - he raised the price $50 - said the 2 free mags were worth $80 - so he felt it was still a good deal.

When the promo goes off - the (local) price will drop back down to $399.

I don't understand why S&W did the - "Limited to one rebate per customer". I would have been paying an extra $100 for 2 mags.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts