MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Two weeks ago I had opportunity to speak with an M&P Tech Support rep on the phone. A week later I spoke with an M&P field marketing rep who was demonstrating the M&P pistol line at a big local firearms dealer.

I inquired of both men regarding the LACK of an M2.0 version of the 12rnd 9C.

BOTH reps tried to sell me the same nonsense, saying, "We already HAVE released the new M2.0 version of the 9C." In both cases they claimed the recently released short-slide version of the Compact 9 (15rnd) is the "new and improved 9C."

I told them both that was BS. I noted how the pistol in question is nothing more than a short-slide Compact 9 - a pointless modification in terms of improving concealability. EVERYBODY knows that the most difficult aspect of a pistol to conceal is the grip. A longer grip prints more than a short grip does, and the 12rnd grip of the 9C is considerably shorter than the 15rnd grip of the Compact 9 - especially at the bottom/rear of the 9C grip where it makes the most difference.

Both men seemed disgruntled at my remarks. Fine. I'm "disgruntled" at being played for a fool. I've been waiting a loooong time for the M2.0 9C with thumb safety. Been carrying a Glock G26 in the meantime, which I do not like.

S&W has enormous resources in terms of R&D and market research. They KNOW the shorter 9C would serve many of us better for CCW than the Compact 9 does, SO WHY ARE THEY NOT BRINGING THE M2.0 9C TO MARKET?

The only reasons that make sense to me are:

1) Perhaps there's a huge inventory of the old 9C pistols that must be sold before releasing the improved M2.0, or

2) Perhaps S&W fears that an M2.0 9C will cut into sales of the Shield pistols, as well as sales of the old-style 9C.

What do YOU think?

Sorry to be "quasi-belligerent" in my very first post here, but MAN(!!!) I've been seeking a straight answer to this question for a long time.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I talked to a sales rep over the summer and asked about a 2.0 version of the 12 round compact. Sadly, I don't think it will come to be. I have had one since 2010 and was hopeful that they would roll it out, but if it comes at all, it may be a long time. Since it sounded bleak, at least in the short term, I went ahead and picked up another one (this one with a thumb safety) while the rebate was running.

I carry it OWB with the flush fit mag, which is much more concealable than the 15 round grip would be on the new compacts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I am there with you. I just discovered the 9c a few days ago, but went ahead with a Shield. But to me the 9c has a trigger as good as the Shield 2.0. I will get one next.

I am curious, why is the 9c not good enough? What about the 2.0 M&Ps do you want in the 9c? For me the answer is stippling. But I can send it to get stippled (3 good sources mentioned in this video
).

I tried the 2.0s, and they IMO do not have the clean break of the 9c and the Shield 2.0.

What else from the 2.0s do you want? For me, not the new triggers. They are creepy and uncertain by comparison.

·
Registered
33 Posts
What do you want upgraded in the 9c? I mean, what about the 2.0s do you want? Grip texture? Newer trigger? (that's it right?)

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 9mm Compact 1.0 is too short in the grip IMHO. In fact, the grip is shorter than the Shield 9 grip! I would have like to see a compact model that not only had a longer grip, but also thinner in the grip and slide than what was offered and what is being offered today.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It won't be long before you just download a file for the pinky extension you want, load it into your 3-d printer, and print it out of whatever material you want: hard plastic, soft, rubber, etc.

·
Registered
35 Posts
S&W decided that the proper format for the M&P compact is the direct match of the Glock 19. They've essentially decided to to compete directly with the Glock 26. the M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6" is the closest you will get. If you want a short grip M&P, it'll have to be the Shield.

However, with the introduction of the SIG P365, Smith may have to rethink it's product line, and essentally come out with a narrow, but double stack Shield, or risk losing the Shield market to SIG.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
S&W decided that the proper format for the M&P compact is the direct match of the Glock 19. They've essentially decided to to compete directly with the Glock 26. the M&P 2.0 Compact 3.6" is the closest you will get. If you want a short grip M&P, it'll have to be the Shield.

However, with the introduction of the SIG P365, Smith may have to rethink it's product line, and essentally come out with a narrow, but double stack Shield, or risk losing the Shield market to SIG.
The Shield is out dated, its time for a P365 killer. Maybe they will call it the Sarge!

Not to take anything away from the Shield, (because the P365 has already done that in less than a year) it just desperately needs to be replaced.

Glock failed when they dumped the G43X/G48 on its fans.
It wasn`t the game changer people thought it would be after they bought one.

It would be nice to see S&W get another gun of the year under its belt too.
Come on S&W M&P, we know you can do better! Bring it to us!

Bring us....... "The Sarge 10+1 & 12+1" In the similar size of the P365
But with some palm swell interchangeable grip inserts!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The question is, can Smith build a 10 round Shield, maintaining the overall width, without stepping on SIG's patent? SIG pulled a nice rabbit out of it's hat with the P365, and is trying to slam the door on the other competitors. It will be interesting to see if they can succeed. I sort of the see the G43x/G48 as an admission by Glock that they can't do it.

The Shield is out dated, its time for a P365 killer. Maybe they will call it the Sarge!

Not to take anything away from the Shield, (because the P365 has already done that in less than a year) it just desperately needs to be replaced.

Glock failed when they dumped the G43X/G48 on its fans.
It wasn`t the game changer people thought it would be after they bought one.

It would be nice to see S&W get another gun of the year under its belt too.
Come on S&W M&P, we know you can do better! Bring it to us!

Bring us....... "The Sarge 10+1 & 12+1" In the similar size of the P365
But with some palm swell interchangeable grip inserts!

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The question is, can Smith build a 10 round Shield, maintaining the overall width, without stepping on SIG's patent? SIG pulled a nice rabbit out of it's hat with the P365, and is trying to slam the door on the other competitors. It will be interesting to see if they can succeed. I sort of the see the G43x/G48 as an admission by Glock that they can't do it.
To be honest, i have doubts that S&W will be able to make the shield with 10+1 let alone 12+1 like the P365 without copying the sig in some sort of degree. I`m sure they are working very hard in engineering to come up with a new design though.
S&W knows that sig stole the spotlight with the P365, and others are chasing the P365 as well. Their bank accounts show it...lol. This is going to be one hell of a rabbit to catch. But sooner or later, the rabbit will get caught.

The G43X/G48, i visit quite a few G forums, those 2 rabbits are more like turtles now. The novelty is wearing down very quickly. They`ll still sell to the glockoid`s regardless.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I doubt that Sig has a monopoly on the “half double stack mag.”

Ruger uses a similar design in their SR 22P mag, which predates the P365 by a few years.

I checked out a P365 in a LGS last Tuesday, and didn't care for it, myself. To each their own.

·
Registered
209 Posts
What do you want upgraded in the 9c? I mean, what about the 2.0s do you want? Grip texture? Newer trigger? (that's it right?)
the additional steel in the frame is what I would like. I love my 9C 1.0 I alternate it with myshield depending on what I'm able to wear.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts

Ruger uses a similar design in their SR 22P mag, which predates the P365 by a few years.

I checked out a P365 in a LGS last Tuesday, and didn't care for it, myself. To each their own.
I fell for the P365 and own one. It just sits in the gun safe now. Flawless, not one hiccup in 8,000 rounds. It is EXTREMELY accurate!
My problem with it, is the grip is so tiny, i cant get a good purchase on the grip when i draw it from my concealment holster. So i continued carrying my shield.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They apparently have a patent pending on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My problem with it, is the grip is so tiny, i cant get a good purchase on the grip when i draw it from my concealment holster. So i continued carrying my shield.
So buy the 2.0 15 round magazines along with a spacer to fill the gap between the bottom of the 1.0 grip and the 2.0 15 round magazine. I added the spacer to my 15 round magazines and I am extremely satisfied. Now I have the same grip length as a Shield has but can carry 15 rounds instead of only 8.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The 9mm Compact 1.0 is too short in the grip IMHO. In fact, the grip is shorter than the Shield 9 grip! I would have like to see a compact model that not only had a longer grip, but also thinner in the grip and slide than what was offered and what is being offered today.
If you use a 15 round magazine from the compact 2.0 it will have the same grip length as the Shield but still not as thin as the shield. Twenty five bucks for a 15 round magazine is a lot less than a new gun and you get three additional rounds.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
I fell for the P365 and own one. It just sits in the gun safe now. Flawless, not one hiccup in 8,000 rounds. It is EXTREMELY accurate!
My PC Shield 9 is my number one “when the back’s out” carry gun, and it does get a lot of use as a “quick run to the corner store” gun. The only change I made to it was an Apex striker block.

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
If you use a 15 round magazine from the compact 2.0 it will have the same grip length as the Shield but still not as thin as the shield. Twenty five bucks for a 15 round magazine is a lot less than a new gun and you get three additional rounds.
If I want more rounds than the Shield with two eight round reloads, I’ll carry my 9c with 12+1 and a full sized 17 round reload with X-grip. Or one of my M&P9’s.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts