MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started to stipple and noticed the melted edges were hard and crispy. Thought it would give more of a grip in a rubbery texture not gritty. Is this how they come out, more gritty than rubbery.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It comes out like a hard plastic rather than soft rubber. I have two different types of patterns on my grips. I like them both but prefer the "pebbling". Honestly, grip-tape still provides more friction, which I find suites me better.

(I used the smallest one on the left for practice, as you can see).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got it figured out. The iron wasn't hot enough yet and it was sticking to the iron as I pulled up leaving an unsmooth finish.

Now, another question... What would be the best direction of grip. In other words, is it better to design the grip to reduce upward slip or left to right slip.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wish I would have done just the backstrap. The frontstrap and mag release are made out of a different material and did not melt the same.

Anyway I like the way the back strap came out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
here are a few of the different patterns I practiced on my large grip.

Tried to put the S&W symbol on it.

to the left of center I melted deeper than the right side in the snake skin pattern.

·
Registered
159 Posts
You'll need to be careful -- and should possibly practice on a backstrap first -- but you can sometimes 'redo' a stipple job if you don't like it. I found that I could stipple over patterns that I was making on my small backstrap. I only went over a section once or twice so I don't know the effects of excessive passes but I found that I could correct errors that way. You might be able to do the same on any section with which you're not happy.

From what I can see it looks like you did a good job.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If you plan to use the pistol in IDPA in the SSP classyou might ck the rules.I am pretty sure that type of mod will move you to the ESP class.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't know anything about competition shooting, but if they make a seperate class just because of stippling I would think there is a real noticable advantage to doing so. Haven't shot since I done it. Curious to see the results.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts