MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Anyone using the 'stock' trigger of the M&P9 for Production division (USPSA/IPSC/IDPA)?

2. Anyone modified it to the minimum weight of 5lbs for use in Prod?

3. Any other modifications done (i.e. trigger weight, heavier reset, overtravel) for Prod?

·
Registered
83 Posts
I picked up my M&P9 a few weeks ago specifically for Production in '08...

1. I already got the trigger down to ~4lbs. Stock would be usable, but these guns have cheap trigger job possibilities, so why not.

2. There is no minimum trigger pull weight in USPSA. There was talk of a 3lb rule, but that got thrown out.

3. Check out the trigger job instructions hosted on Dan's site - that will explain how to set up your sear for reduced overtravel (actually it just make the trigger break later in it's stroke) and reduce the pull weight a bit.

I did all the recommendations, and that got me to ~5lbs, so I fabbed up a lighter trigger return spring which got me down to 4lbs. I am happy for now, and the reset is just fine.

·
Registered
521 Posts
DIY Trigger job 3 to 4lbs...followed Dan's instructions.

Rest of the gun is setup like this:

Speed Shooters Tungsten guide rod

ISMI 13lb spring

Warren rear site

Speed Shooters FO front site .110 width (I like the green pipe)

Generous use of skate tape

Powder puff (but legal) 124gr Titegroup loads

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Isn't there a 5lb limit in Prod Division? I know that's the case at least for Production Div. over here in Manila.

What's the advantage of the ISMI recoil lighter spring w/ 13lbs? Will there be a difference with the ammo loads with this spring? By the way, what's the weight of the stock spring?

·
Registered
521 Posts
sherpa said:
Isn't there a 5lb limit in Prod Division? I know that's the case at least for Production Div. over here in Manila.

What's the advantage of the ISMI recoil lighter spring w/ 13lbs? Will there be a difference with the ammo loads with this spring? By the way, what's the weight of the stock spring?

Mabuhay!

We go by USPSA rules here in the US (slightly different from IPSC rules). We don't have a trigger weight limit.

The different spring rate is subjective. Messing with it can change the timing and feel of your gun. Best thing to do would be to buy a spring kit of different weights and experiment. If you handload you can tune the spring to your load or adjust your load to work with a specific spring. I didn't really make my choice based on percieved recoil but on how the gun returns to my natural shooting position. The tungsten guide rod adds a little weight out in front. It does feel a little different in both recoil and in the way the gun swings. But in all honesty, the difference is so slight you really have to be in tune with your gun to feel any difference.

I did some research and found a post where Dan Burwell found that the stock spring weight is 10lbs. I find this strange because the 13lb spring feels lighter.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Is that recoil spring kit specific to the M&P or is it adapted from another gun? I'm still running the stock setup but would like to be able to tune it to handloads. Of course I can't leave anything alone.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Got mine from SpeedShooters http://speedshooterspecialties.com/catalog...egories=Springs

If I remember correctly the packaging said M&P 9mm/40S&W. I hear Glock rods and springs work as well. I would suggest trying the 13# and 11#. Like I mentioned...I don't think the ISMI numbers match up to stock. The 13 feels just slightly lighter than the factory 10# so I'm guessing the ISMI 11# will feel even lighter still. I didn't buy the set, I tried a friends gun that had the 13# in it with my handloads and I really liked it so I just got the 13. I might get the 11 just to see how it feels though.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts