MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that the stock sights shoot really high?

I did some sandbag testing this morning from 25-yds, and my groups were about 4-5 inches high. 15-yd and 7-yd groups were a few inches high too...

I currently have the stock front sight and a Warren Tactical rear sight (which I think is the same height as the stock rear, so that shouldn't be the issue... )

I like my POI to be directly on the top of my front blade at 25-yds, so I think it's time for a taller front sight!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just purchased my .45 M&P, took it out and put the first mag all into an 8" paper plate at 15 yards, offhand. Shot just as well, if not better, than my 9 y.o. Kimber.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I haven't noticed any high tendencies with my FS 9...I havent had a chance to shoot any from a rest, but my intended aim point seems to be where the little holes show up (more or less...completely due to my lack of accuracy). I would check to see if the rear sight is a little higher than stock because that could also cause a higher group.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I didn't do any empirical testing with the stock rear sight, but I definitely didn't get the impression that my groups were this high, so the WT rear sight must be a bit taller...

·
Registered
112 Posts
My full size M&P 40 shoots to just about POA at 15 yds. or so. You could also try a different grain bullet. That might change the POI a little bit.

·
Site Staff
9,615 Posts
Every person sees the sights differently, what is spot on for one person might be completely wrong for another, it's just a fact of life, in addition different bullets and ammo will impact at different points, any time you change anything like bullet weight or velocity it will change the impact point, sometimes only a little and sometimes it's a lot!

Back when I was a Deputy Sheriff we carried revolvers, I carried a S&W Model 66 in 357, the standard 357 load was a 158 gr HP, then the 125 gr HP's got to be the hot item, at 25 yards the 158 gr bullets were perfect, the 125 gr bullets shot so low there wasn't enough adjustment in the sights to make up for it! Even with all the elevation correction available cranked in, it was still about 6" low at 25 yards.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
G56 said:
...different bullets and ammo will impact at different points, any time you change anything like bullet weight or velocity it will change the impact point, sometimes only a little and sometimes it's a lot!
I've definitely noticed a difference from one weight to another (e.g. between 124 & 147), but at a given weight (I settled on 147), different bullet types and manufacturers don't seem to vary POI more than a couple of inches at 25 yds for me. Which I think I can live with...

G56 said:
...at 25 yards the 158 gr bullets were perfect, the 125 gr bullets shot so low there wasn't enough adjustment in the sights to make up for it!
Wow, that sounds like a huge difference! I guess you stuck with the 158s...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts