MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok.. This IS a funny story my brother and I talked about one night...

When I was growing up, it was required that you clean the guns after shooting them or hunting.. And I mean that night.. No exceptions.. Well.. I got home from school and went out hunting.. I grew up on a huge farm that backup to about 1000+ acres that my family had permission to go hunting on... Well.. I got WAY OUT there and it was getting dark.. I made it back and it was dinner time.. I put the gun back in the case with every intention of cleaning it later.. Well, I got wrapped up in something else and went to bed with a dirty gun..
Well.. I went to school the next day.. When I got home, my grandfather found the dirty gun.. Oh, I knew my life was about to end... Well, my grandfather went off on me.. It wasn't pretty.. My punishment was to clean all the guns that night (20 various shotguns/rifles and 6 pistols) and had to keep them clean for a month.. Talk about a long night.. LOL But, to make things really bad.. For the month, my brother would take almost every gun out of the case he could carry and go behind the barn and go shooting... Almost everyday for a month, I was cleaning guns... But, to this day.. I get nervous if I don't clean my guns after I get back from the range or when I go hunting... I drive my wife nuts.. "I got to clean my guns.." LOL..

Just thought I would share this with you..

Ben

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am pretty much the same way. I can't go to sleep if my guns are dirty. I was raised that if you fire one round you clean your gun, and you clean them every few weeks regardless wheather they were shot or not.

Every Sunday night I take my carry gun into my den and clean it while watching a good action flick, wheather the guns was shot or not. Then I go outside with a coffee and a cigar and I am ready for Monday.

To me it is a good idea to clean your carry gun every week to keep belly button lint out of it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
That is a great story!

This can't beat it but was funny....when I bought my last 1911, I'd go to the range once or twice a week for the first few months (making sure it worked right:)) Anyway, when I got home each time, I'd clean it. My wife said, "do you have to clean that each time you shoot it?" And of course I said, "no, you don't HAVE to...but when you spend $600 for a pistol, you want to take care of it".

That made me feel good that a non-shooter was noticing how I took care of that pistol (which I just sold last week...but my SW1911 replacement should be here any day now!)

Again, nice story about granddad!

·
Registered
30 Posts
You know, cleaning can get me a day off work any time I want. I just call in and say

"The Voices told me to stay home and clean the guns."

Even better, when I return to work, nobody bothers me for several days afterward.

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sablair said:
You know, cleaning can get me a day off work any time I want. I just call in and say

Even better, when I return to work, nobody bothers me for several days afterward.

LOL.. I can see my boss's face if I told him that..

But I do hear the voice of my grandfather in the back of my mind when I don't clean them right away... I know that it was more of a "Take care of what you have" kind of thing.. But it stuck with me all these years... My brother and I laugh about it now... But still it just proves that how much of an impact my grandfather had on me while I was growing up...

This past week when I got back from the range.. My 6 year old daughter helped me clean my pistols.. I taught her to check to make sure the gun was clear.. How to field strip them.. and clean them... She loved it... In about 2 more years.. I think she will be ready to go to the range with me and shoot my 22... Glad everyone has enjoyed the story...

Ben

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Don't get caught!!!!

I aways clean my guns after shooting them but usually the next day. And I keep a oily rag around to wipe them down after handling them.

If you clean your guns when they have not been shot, you are just fondling them and I think there is some kind of law against that! :roll:

·
Registered
464 Posts
Gun fondling?..

I only clean mine when shot. But using non chloranated brake cleaner and a lil break free all I have to clean is the bore. I can do 6 weps in about an hour and a half now. My AR that used to take an hour is done in 15 min. My M&P.40 takes 10 min. What a time saver! A whole M-1911 in 10 min. Works for me.
A rag with a bit of break free or silicone once a weeks keeps em shiney.

·
Registered
138 Posts
sablair said:

That is funny!

On my answering machine, I used to have as my message:

"Hi! I can't get to the phone right now... If you are a burglar, I am home, I am just busy cleaning my guns. Please leave a message."

But Lilly made me make a new message..

Raymond

·
Registered
215 Posts
I heard on the news tonight that a small town police chief accidentally shot herself while cleaning her Glock .40. The bullet entered her throat and exited out the back of her neck. She is listed in good condition. She should get the "luckiest person alive" award if there is one.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Cleaning my guns

Yep,

Whenever I shoot, even if it is only one round, I always clean my guns that night, regardless of what time it is.

I have to know that the gun is ready if and when needed, and that there for sure is no obstruciton in the barrel, etc.

I sure go through alot of Hoppe's # 9 though!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just cant understand people shooting themselves. Sure you pull the trigger on the glocks to tear 'em down. But sheesh...if trained proper...there will never ever be a round in the chamber. Even after i visually check my firearms two times, i do a physical check with my finger. Hearing these situations happening make me shake my head and wish them well.

on a side note,...ive talked to people that are very safe when it comes to this...and they still had it happen. Makes me wonder if they are watchin tv or such while doing it. You know...pull the magazine out..get a phone call, or the OU Sooners make a touchdown, ect. They get distracted...Then forget to check for a live round in the chamber or such. Then again...im one of those guys that check to see if i locked the front door when leaving...twice. Its a bad habit at times...but has worked for me so far, heh. :wink:

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Exactly, people get TOO comfortable with their guns. Even professionals have accidents when they get too comfortable.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts