MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Changing the sights on my 1.0 Shield with TruGlo TFX Pro. No sight pusher, just a vise, wood blocks and punches. Watched several videos, some using sight pushers and some not. Anyway, finally got the front sight off and the new one on. Then on to the rear. I know about the striker block washer and spring. So finally get it off without losing them. I noticed that the washer is just a very thin aluminum washer. No post to go over the spring. So I put the rear sight on and go to reassemble the pistol. Something isn't right I can't get the slide to go on. I've never had any issues with it before. So I took a look at the striker block and it will not move. So I expect that the spring bent over and is holding the block from moving. So I have to take the rear sight off and try again. Of course this time, even being cautious and holding my hand over the slide, they take to the sky. I found the spring but haven't found the washer as of yet. Every striker block washer I've seen with my research has been plastic and had a post to go into the spring.

Has anyone seen just a bare washer with no detent to hold the spring in the middle?

I bought this gun new so I have no reason to believe that it left the factory in a way other than what I found it. I found a plastic replacement on ebay for 10.99. I'm considering if I don't find the original that I may just file a guitar pick down to fit, but I think that post is there for a reason. I know the stinking thing is here somewhere, it's just making me do a deep clean. Frustrating.

·
Registered
588 Posts
My early production M&P9 1.0 (I was "1.0" only in retrospect. They had no numbers back then.) had a thin flat metal "cap" over the striker block with no projection to center the spring. You had to be careful to push it down centered and flat over the spring. The first plastic cap I saw was on my M&P9 2.0.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's the same then. I called it 1.0, just cause they made the 2.0. If I can't find it in the morning I was thinking a thumb tack with the tip cut off. If it was small enough. Or still the guitar pick cut to fit.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I didn't want to wait for S&W or Ebay and really didn't want to spend the money on a replacement. So I drew the outline of the striker block on a guitar pick and used toe nail clippers to do a rough cut and took a finger nail file and rounded it until it would fit into the hole. Only took a few minutes. But getting that spring to compress without bending to the side was another issue. I have a Talon Tactical tool made to hold that striker block cover down and I was using it. I got the everything in place and verified that the block was moving correctly. Pushed the sight on and went to assemble the pistol. The slide wouldn't go on. The block wouldn't move correctly. So off the sight goes again. I tried again this time putting the Talon tool in from the side of the striker block and the rear sight from the other side. This time all was good. Had it not worked again I was going to put a small dab of glue in the middle to hold the spring in place.

Of course the newer style washer with a nipple on it to hold the spring in the middle would have been better. But since it originally had a slick washer I'm hopeful that once in place it should be good to go. At least it had never had an issue from the factory. I wonder if S&W changed from the plain aluminum washer to the polymer washer with a nipple simple because of the pain in assembly. I know it was a pain for me.

Another idea was to try a 22 cal aluminum gas check. It would have been a bit sloppy in the hole but a 30 cal would have been too large. I was thinking that the lips of the gas check would prevent the spring from turning over above the block.

I did fire several mags through the gun with no function issues. I'll be sure to watch for issues as I get some real range time on it. I am shooting quite low with my reloads that I usually use. Like 3" low at 10 yrds. So I tried 3 hollow point rounds, same 3" low. Fired another couple of mags of reloads. Consistent 3" low at 10 yrds. Not happy with that at all. Maybe I just have to learn these sights. But I would think you should be able to run the tops of the front and rear even. But guess not on the shield. And I did double/triple check that these were made for the shield.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My early production M&P9 1.0 (I was "1.0" only in retrospect. They had no numbers back then.) had a thin flat metal "cap" over the striker block with no projection to center the spring. You had to be careful to push it down centered and flat over the spring. The first plastic cap I saw was on my M&P9 2.0.
Same thing on my 1.0

1 - 6 of 6 Posts