MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My M&P 9MM is my first striker fired pistol. With my other carry pistols I always leave a round in the chamber and decock it by using the safey. I then place the saftey in the fire position so I can use it quickly as a double action by pulling the trigger or single action by cocking it. It takes a great deal of trigger pull to use it double action so it doesn't bother me to carry in this manor.

My question is, do you keep one in the pipe while carry a striker fired pistol? It seems like the trigger pull is so slight that a accidental discharge would be easy but if I needed it quickly I would not want to take the time to rack the slide. Need some imput on this one. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I think you answered your own question. :wink:

If you are referring to the M&P Striker Pistol, then they are equiped with fire pin safety. It will not fire until the trigger is pulled. Key to this is "trigger discipline". 8)

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
During a stressful situation you fine motor skills go out the window. Unless you have a hair trigger, you'll probably never know the difference.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
MP Trigger.....

Up untill I bought my MP40 I carried my Sigma SW9VE because of the harder trigger pull. You just don't accidently pull the trigger on a Sigma. And I agree with Jester, in a stressful situation you wont know the difference or probably hear your shot(s).

Now that I have my MP I am a little nervous about the lighter trigger. I carry it with one in the chamber because I don't want to have to rack one in a tense situation. That said, I am very careful of the trigger when pushing it in a iwb holster. I don't trust a "so called" trigger safety. If you snag the trigger just right it will go bang!

My ignorance is going to show again but, what is the relation of a striker fired pistol and the external safety? Please be nice, I've had enough abuse at my age!!! :oops:

·
Registered
323 Posts
It just takes getting used to. You are so used to using a manual safety, give it a little time and you will get more comfortable with it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I am very careful of the trigger when pushing it in a iwb holster. I don't trust a "so called" trigger safety. If you snag the trigger just right it will go bang!
I'm also new to the "striker fired" system also; having my M&P for only about a month now after using a Ruger 94 with decocker and no safety, I am much more cautious with the M&P in loaded condition.

I have carried mine in an IWB. While inserting the pistol into the holster I place my trigger finger behind the trigger to prevent any accidental trigger pull and to give a little piece of mind.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I put mine in the holster and then attach the holster to my pants. No way to snag the trigger that way, and I can't imagine any reason to have to re-holster later unless I have had to drop a BG an if that has happened, the least of my worries is re-holstering. If I am heading to the range for fun, just wear an OWB and a vest, shirt, or jacket. Once the gun is in the holster, the trigger is inaccessable anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts