MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, first time post so hello all. Had my M&P for only a little while and I couldn't help but start tinkering with it. First night sights, then the DCAEK and I don't know if I can stop there. For one reason or another it just seems to be the best 9mm I have owned or fired thus far and just want to keep making it better.

In any case this post is about me needing a new striker safety spacer. For reference that would be this little do-hickey here:

M&P Striker Safety Plunger Spacer [1718] - $2.00 : Welcome to Speed Shooter Specialties

Now before you refer me to my very own link I just pasted you'll notice it is sold out. As of I believe yesterday afternoon. I decided I wasn't done browsing the site before buying the spacer... maybe I wanted some other things to add to my pistol. So I perused the site, looked at this and that, read up on some other things, got lunch, forgot about it, remembered, hit "add to cart" only to find out it was now sold out.

So does anyone know where I can get one? I have sent S&W an e-mail about it yesterday but they say not to expect response for five business days sadly. I hear their customer service is great but I suppose good things come to those who wait.

In any case since I just feel like rambling if you're putting your face firmly into your palm thinking I removed the rear sight to install the Apex USB kit and lost the spacer you would be half (or two-thirds, if you're counting) right.

As I mentioned earlier I got night sights on my gun. With the purchase of those came free install. About a week later I got the DCAEK with the USB to install. I saved the USB for last and when I was able to finally get the rear sight off I very carefully made sure to cover the plunger hole cause I knew about the spring and the spacer underneath. I am positive I covered it properly and never saw anything fly out, so my sneaking suspicion is the gun smith that replaced my sight originally lost it.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. I can be a bit long winded so if you made it this far, congrats! You're my new friend and I might interest you in some lengthy diatribes. Again, thanks and glad to be here!

·
Registered
372 Posts
I bet Doug at ATEi has a spare laying around. He's a good guy and may be willing to part with one.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just checked Brownells and Midway, sorry no luck.

Can you contact the smith that did the earlier work, or maybe Apex has a few laying around.

Good Luck

Dave

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the welcome!

So as it turns out after two days (as opposed to the five they said to expect) I got an e-mail from S&W Customer Service level 1 this morning (I suspect right when they opened, I got it 8AM Central) asking me to call in for further support on the matter so they gave me a number and extension to dial.

Fearing I would be on the phone for a while I dialed right away, but waited probably about 20 seconds before someone picked up. I said I was looking for a spacer on my full size M&P 9mm and right away the gentleman on the phone knew what I was talking about, "The one underneath the rear sight, correct?" That's the one!

So he took my name and address and said he would drop it in an envelope and have it on it's way today. No fuss, no muss, no charge or nothing. From receiving that e-mail to knowing my part would be on my way all in all was probably a five minute ordeal.

I heard S&W had good customer service and I'm glad to say I got to experience it first hand. Can't ask for more past short wait times, competent (and cordial) representatives and a free replacement part. As good as they are I hope I don't have to call to get more stuff replaced, but I take comfort in the fact that they'll do a good job if I do need to.

Again thanks for the welcome to all that posted and everyone else that didn't, but read and probably scratched their heads. I'll be around!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Great! S&W has great customer service. When I bought my 9c, I picked up a MA compliant model and didn't know it (>10lb trigger spring!). They sent me a new standard spring and some pinky extensions for a few spare 12 round mags I picked up. Free.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
The APEX kits come with a Talon Tactical M&P sight tool, it's desigbed to hold all those bits in there when you remove tue rear sight. It's not brass, so you can't use it to drive the sight out, but don't let that keep you from using it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The APEX kits come with a Talon Tactical M&P sight tool, it's desigbed to hold all those bits in there when you remove tue rear sight. It's not brass, so you can't use it to drive the sight out, but don't let that keep you from using it.
I am aware of that, however as I mentioned in the original post both the spacer and the spring were already gone. I didn't lose them, the gunsmith that replaced my sights lost them.

Considering the amount of grief and days wasted on such a small piece of metal I am vehemently against recommending that place for any gunsmithing to all of my friends in the future (still an otherwise great gun store). It seems like a very basic procedure that a supposedly M&P certified gunsmith (I heard he was) should be able to perform.

I am partly concerned because it's delayed me putting my sight back on as it was tough enough to get off. I should have that spacer sometime next week so I can finish up. What concerns me most is that I lost what I consider an essential pistol safety and would have been none the wiser until I either took off my sight or field stripped the pistol and noticed the striker block was moving freely. Or worst case I wouldn't have noticed until the pistol ended up going off due to a drop or something.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just ordered a couple from s&W. The part number is #42468 and as they are doing inventory currently and the part is back ordered I was given no estimate on shipping so I'm looking around at other sources to see if anyone else has one

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had bought a bare slide, and that was the one thing I didn't have (the spacer/cup) when I reassembled the whole top end. I just put the spring in, slid the sight back on, and its worked fine for a year. This is a competition gun (not for carry), so if it fails, I'll live.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome from FL.

Glad you caught the error. All my experience with S&W C.S. has been positive. I'm always willing to pay, they always send parts gratis!

Here is a part I let launch from my revo that they sent for a replacement. After due diligence, I found the little sucker in the deepest, darkest corner of the floor near my work bench in the garage. It taught me 2 lessons.
1st, S&W C.S. is great, and
2nd, work inside a gallon plastic bag stupid!!!:stuart:

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts