MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cleaning my M&P the other day after is surpassed its 8,000th round I noticed the striker is getting a little sticky. I removed the striker and noticed the finish has worn around the base of the firing pin and directly behind this point right near the top of the shoulder. I cleaned the striker and the stricker chamber with an well known over the counter, synthetic friendly spray solvent (only descriptions today because I actually forgot the damn name
, must be a premature senior moment). This did not seem to help. When I push the plunger up and advance the stiker forward it protrudes into the breach but does not retract back on its own. I dry fired the gun numerous times with snap caps and did not find the firing pin protruding.

Should I be concerned? Is there a better way of cleaning the striker and striker chamber?

Dan, hhhheeeeellllllllpppppppp! Of course, anyones advice is truly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
They don't always retract on their own when you push it forward, as far as getting sticky make sure you are not using any lube/oil on the any part of the striker other than the sear contact point. Lube/oil will attract gunk. To clean it I would recommend brush and compressed air, if you have been using some kind of lube a plastic/polymer safe one should be used. The striker channel has its own plastic liner this is why you don't need lube and should not use just any old solvent.

Dan

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The behavior you are describing appears to be normal. My gun did that form new, and still does it after having replaced the striker.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I just brought my 40 back from the range, so in doing my usual cleaning I decide to go ahead and remove the striker assembly and clean it out and inpect it for possible wear issues. I was not experiencing a problem, I have just put about a thousand round thru it and the striker assembly had not been cleaned yet. When I removed it, I found an accumulation of what apeared to be brass shavings. Not sure where they came from, other than flakes from the firing pin making contact with the primer and carring shavings back with it. As far as I know there are no brass parts in the striker assembley, unless there is a bushing in there I can't see. I can see after a while if left unchecked it could cause problems. Keep em clean!

·
Registered
8 Posts
the brass shavings you described are primer shavings when you fire a round a very small part of the primer expands into the firing pin hole in the slide and it gets shaved off by the breech face of the slide when the bbl unlocks. if you look at the primers on your fired brass if will look like a small smear spot on the primer. Higher pressure rounds in auto pistols all display this to some extent while lower pressure rounds like the .45 acp seldom do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts