MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Got my slide back from Tripp Research the other day. I had it hard chromed. It came out great. The only downside is that powder residue is very obvious and for some reason very difficult to get rid off - unlike NP3 or natural stainless. The spot I am have trouble with is at the edge of the chamber above the extractor. Please see pic below. Hoppe #9 Solvent and a brass brush only made a very minor dent. Any thoughts on how best to remove the stuff? Not sure what what hard chrome can withstand.

Thanks!

·
Registered
89 Posts
powder

I know that stuff can be a pain to get off, but you can get it done with a toothbrush, gun solvent and a couple rags. What I've found is that it will tend to break down quicker when the gun warm. I always carry those three items with me and after the barrel gets too hot to leave your fingers on it thats when I go at it. I don't strip the gun for it isn't necessary, but you'll be surprised how much easier those hard to clean places become.

Hope this helps,

Jim

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the tips. I will try and see if the non toxic stuff is carried by any of my dealers. I was looking for something that was polymer safe anyway. I will bring my supplies with me to the range next time and see if I can remove it then. I am still tring to figure out what I can and cannot use on hard chrome.

·
Registered
89 Posts
powder

I forgot to tell you it might take a few time before you get the way you want so be pataaient.

Also, you might look at Shooter's Choice gun cleaner. It's safe fto use on polymer guns.

Let us know how things go.

Jim

·
Site Founder
2,889 Posts
Sounds strange, but using a small amount of armor all on specific parts will help with prevention.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I use MPro-7/Hoppes Elite(it's the same thing marketed under 2 Brands)

It's fast and Non-Toxic.

I use an Ultrasonic Cleaner, but if you use a Tooth Brush and dip your slide for an hour or two in MPro-7 and then hit it hard with a tooth Brush, it should clear out fast. One good thing is that MPro-7 coats and treats the metal too, the powder residue will be easier to take out after that.

Y

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
ysued said:
I use MPro-7/Hoppes Elite(it's the same thing marketed under 2 Brands)

It's fast and Non-Toxic.

I use an Ultrasonic Cleaner, but if you use a Tooth Brush and dip your slide for an hour or two in MPro-7 and then hit it hard with a tooth Brush, it should clear out fast. One good thing is that MPro-7 coats and treats the metal too, the powder residue will be easier to take out after that.

Y

That's awesome, but soaking over an hour... Wow that's a long for me, I spray, scrub, clean, wipe down; I have never soaked before.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
533 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
[quote name='ysued']I use MPro-7/Hoppes Elite(it's the same thing marketed under 2 Brands)

It's fast and Non-Toxic.

Y

That's awesome, but soaking over an hour... Wow that's a long for me, I spray, scrub, clean, wipe down; I have never soaked before.[/quote]

I like soaking really good the first time, this way it loosens the really bad Crud and helps it treat the metal.

Y

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those of you who soak the slide

Do you do this with the M&P, specifically? If so, do you have any concern that the chemicals will harm the plastic piece at the rear that covers the striker assembly. Also, I have blue Loctite holding my rear sight in. Will Hoppes Elite, or other chemicals dissolve the thread locker? I like the idea of soaking it, but I would think there would be repercussions to any of the above.

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: For those of you who soak the slide

moshooter said:
Do you do this with the M&P, specifically?

No, any new Gun!!

moshooter said:
If so, do you have any concern that the chemicals will harm the plastic piece at the rear that covers the striker assembly.

No, MPro-7 is non-toxic and it's like a soap, it will not hurt plastic, I have left a G17 Frame in this stuff over an hour in my Ultrasonic Cleaner and the frame is perfect.

moshooter said:
Also, I have blue Loctite holding my rear sight in. Will Hoppes Elite, or other chemicals dissolve the thread locker? I like the idea of soaking it, but I would think there would be repercussions to any of the above.

I doubt it!!

MPro-7 won't hurt any Loctite either. I have been using this stuff for over 12 years, it's great!!

Give it a try, remember MPro-7 and Hoppe's Elite is exactly the SAME thing.

Y

·
Registered
5,726 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Morgan Walker said:
Thanks...

My pleasure, this is good stuff, I use it and I really like it.

Y

·
Registered
89 Posts
Stains

Hi, Great thread with some good suggestions.

I've heard about using ultrasonic cleaners on your handguns before somewhere but I can't remember if it was good, bad or indifferent. It memory serves it seems like they were pushing it (ultrasonic cleaner) ultimate to clean guns, silverware, coins and such.

It must not be too bad a cleaning process if you have been and still are literally soaking your very expensive guns in a tank of solution while the ultrasound or whatever it is does it's thing. 'I'm curious how it works. Do you use an air compressor to blow things out after ultrasonic cleaning? How does that ultrasonic gun cleaner work, where do you get them, are they worth it and how often can you use it on a gun before it messes up the finish or dries out the plastics? Do you have a link for these cleaners?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
533 Posts
Re: Stains

JimK66 said:
Hi, Great thread with some good suggestions.

I've heard about using ultrasonic cleaners on your handguns before somewhere but I can't remember if it was good, bad or indifferent. It memory serves it seems like they were pushing it (ultrasonic cleaner) ultimate to clean guns, silverware, coins and such.

It must not be too bad a cleaning process if you have been and still are literally soaking your very expensive guns in a tank of solution while the ultrasound or whatever it is does it's thing. 'I'm curious how it works. Do you use an air compressor to blow things out after ultrasonic cleaning? How does that ultrasonic gun cleaner work, where do you get them, are they worth it and how often can you use it on a gun before it messes up the finish or dries out the plastics? Do you have a link for these cleaners?

Thanks,

Jim

OK, here's how I do it and what I use;

I use this Ultrasonic Cleaner, I got it at Brownells:

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/Pro...CLEANING+SYSTEM

I got it over one year ago, Instead if using the solvents that come with it (Water Based), I fill up my tank with MPro-7, I get a Galon of the stuff and put my pistols and parts in the tank for 3- minutes to one hour. The MPro-7 heats up with the Ultrasound and the parts get a bit hot, when I take the parts out they dry up by themselves fairly quickly. And because MPro-7 is not Water Based, I don't worry too much about any residue on the metal it won't cause any corrosion at all.

MPro-7 makes Cleaner, Lubricant, CLP and Grease, these products are great.

Hey, LMK if I can help you further.

Thanks

Y

1 - 20 of 20 Posts