MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mind the occasional single digit OP question but whether it be trolling or abject stupidity / ignorance on the subject however after a decade + of reading some of these initial questions, I propose a wastebasket forum thread "Stupid Questions" to apprise all those interested how low their expectations can / should be for an intelligent response from forum members. Lots of other forums have a similar trashcan thread to manage the situation.

The past year or so the quality and quantity of the single digit inquiries is really poor. Admins' some help please.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I understand your frustration , it can sometimes get old when someone asks a question that seems so simple, however to them the answer may not be simple , just because you understand how something works does not mean everyone does and the way they learn is by those of us that do know answering . Now sometimes it may be the way that they are answered that they no longer return for more advice , perhaps the answer was meant in a joking manner but being new they do not know your personality and sarcasm sometimes does not play out in forums well , perhaps the seasoned members need to be more tolerant of an occasional "stupid/repetitive question" if you do not feel like typing out another answer perhaps just link to one of your previous replies and suggest a proper search phrase they may not have thought about .

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
An important axiom to such a forum thread is the bold disclaimer, "no question is too stupid, ask here". It will be a great repository for those interested in such queries, others will know to steer clear.

It's not the firearm mechanical questions that aggravate, it's the seemingly lack of individual motivation and common sense approach to finding answers.

Recent thread examples:
1. A gunsmith sold me +P ammo........oh dear. How about read the friggin' owner's manual and learn it is just fine to use such ammo.
2. Is this shotgun legal to own in state XYZ........how about emailing or visiting a local gunsmith in state XYZ and ask them?

Does one really have to drop-in on MP-Pistol forum to propound these questions for such simple concerns? I think not.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Interesting topic, since I just posted what I called a series of stupid questions about a slide swap in the
M&P 2.0 compact frame with 4.25" slide thread - M&P 2.0 compact frame with 4.25” slide

As has been pointed out in this thread, what I asked may be "old hat," obvious to anyone with half a brain and elementary to the conversant, but it is greek to me.

Maybe it is just me, but I do detect a slight degree of snobbishness/impatience in the OP of this thread. I hear "I am tired of having to deal with idiots and their stupid questions, so let's delegate them to a lesser status by pinning a label on them."

Just my opinion -

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hang around and participate until 2030, then check back in to this thread.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Maybe it is just me, but I do detect a slight degree of snobbishness/impatience in the OP of this thread.
As I understood it, this was not intended to be a forum dedicated to elite operators, in fact only a handful have ever joined up (though several of us think we're all that). I believe this is a forum intended to support the entire community of M&P owners, plus folks who are curious about M&P firearms, perhaps even a few with only a passing interest in the subject of firearms or personal defense.

I'm not exactly new to this forum, but I occasionally participate in threads the O.P. is addressing, and I'm not always as helpful as I could be (on occasion my only response is "How does it shoot?"). But if I didn't want to participate in any particular thread because I felt it was beneath me (I'm personalizing this, but it may apply to the O.P. also), then I might be inclined to resist the natural temptation to grace that particular thread with my overwhelming presence.

P.S. If there is to be an ash heap for "ignorance", maybe this could be the first thread relegated thereto.

P.P.S. Just my opinion, as always you're welcome to your own.

Reactions: GerSan69

·
Registered
386 Posts
Interesting topic, since I just posted what I called a series of stupid questions about a slide swap in the
M&P 2.0 compact frame with 4.25" slide thread - M&P 2.0 compact frame with 4.25” slide

As has been pointed out in this thread, what I asked may be "old hat," obvious to anyone with half a brain and elementary to the conversant, but it is greek to me.

Maybe it is just me, but I do detect a slight degree of snobbishness/impatience in the OP of this thread. I hear "I am tired of having to deal with idiots and their stupid questions, so let's delegate them to a lesser status by pinning a label on them."

Just my opinion -
The OP is a smart guy with lots of useful info, I can't see his posts here though because I have him blocked.

I assume he is talking about people that can't be bothered to use the search feature to find answers to the same questions asked over and over, because people are too lazy to search for the answer. If yes, I agree it gets old.

The only reason I have him blocked though is because of that annoying nonsense about pseudo science that can't be blocked by turning off signatures in the settings, so rather than getting my blood pressure up, I just blocked him all together.
Unfortunately I do miss a lot of the good info he answers posts with, but it is what it is.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
The OP is a smart guy with lots of useful info, I can't see his posts here though because I have him blocked.

I assume he is talking about people that can't be bothered to use the search feature to find answers to the same questions asked over and over, because people are too lazy to search for the answer. If yes, I agree it gets old.

The only reason I have him blocked though is because of that annoying nonsense about pseudo science that can't be blocked by turning off signatures in the settings, so rather than getting my blood pressure up, I just blocked him all together.
Unfortunately I do miss a lot of the good info he answers posts with, but it is what it is.
Why does his “disclaimer” bother you?

It’s directed at his own posts.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Why does his “disclaimer” bother you?

It’s directed at his own posts.
I turn all signature lines off.

The person typing them thinks "its cute" but after seeing the same thing over, and over, and over, and over and over it is annoying.

His can't be blocked for whatever reason so I just block the entire post. Which as I said, stinks because he usually has good quality posts.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As mentioned, similar threads are offered to OP''s as well as the ADmin's to direct the inquiries in the best forum thread or provide the OP with an existing thread that addresses their inquiry, an example is appended. It's no small co-incidence that an Advanced Questions thread is often juxtapositioned as a choice!

RickM has it Exactly correct, my signature line is directed at my own posts! My signature line was inspired by those whom never post any quality photographs or expert citations in the firearm industry while discussing the topic at hand to corroborate / substantiate a valid technical firearm point; easier to energetically declare any misunderstood technical applications as "pseudo-science".

There is an Ignore Feature that is pretty handy, but then some still found this thread ? Go figure.

No new posters even interested in this thread ?

I am pretty sure this thread will run out of gas pretty soon.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post. (Caught you looking SuperTrucker ?)
Screen Shot 2020-06-16 at 6.51.08 PM.png

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another example today of eagerness of new users to self-direct their queries when there is a thread to do so.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 9.30.22 AM.png

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A similar conversation is occurring on many different forums.

Here is today's perfect example.....OP too lazy to contact the vendor from which he purchased an accessory, so the single digit OP goes a forum to ask the members at large about the issue.......rather than just email , message or God-forbid use a modern telephone to contact the business and ask the source directly....in this case, the vendor is a forum sponsor and monitors such issues, and replies in kind. Similar sentiments from seasoned forum members noted.

Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 6.21.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 6.20.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 6.26.01 PM.png

·
Registered
2 Posts
I used to be the lead moderator on the Coast Guard portion of the Military.com discussion forums and a moderator on the Randall Knife Discussion on knifeforums.com. Mainly a keeper of the peace; had to issue warnings and in several cases ban somebody.

So although this is like my second post here I go with the "the only question that is dumb is the one not asked." I like the answers in this thread - "did you read your owner's manual"; did you "Google" it; or did you call the store you bought it from?

Lately on other forums I've started to ask the OP if they "Googled" the question and not typing the answer or where to get the answer. Maybe a bit callous but as others say you need to learn how to find the answer.

Maybe a good sub-forum could be the "Ask it Basket". Make the "rules" say "Have you Googled, read your owner's manual, spoken with the seller first? If you still haven't found the answer, post it here and someone should try to help you."

After all, we are a discussion forum; my limited knowledge about the M&P could fit in one post; but I know I learn from the posts I read on the forums....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Interesting thread. I'm new here, but not new to firearms (around 45 years of daily use for work or fun) and forums (started on BBSs in the 1980s.) I spend a lot of time on the Smith & Wesson forums elsewhere, and I have accumulated a modest (under 100) collection of primarily S&Ws.
Just want to know, and this isn't a "Google" or "FAQ" question... is this Forum ALL like this? I mean, does everyone have kind of an attitude about questions to the group?
No one mentioned the third choice, after having a special place for stupid questions, or teaching people how to find the answer themselves....
You could just ignore the post.
I don't know, maybe it's just me, but the idea that people "annoy" you simply because you've heard their question a million times already and you know how to find the answer, doesn't mean a thing to them. They're just lost. And that bothers you somehow.
I get the feeling that this forum is not for me, so I'll go away. Just wanted to make y'all aware that you ran me off with this discussion.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I am tolerant of the same noob posts over and over again ( can I shoot +p ammo, can I put a 9mm in my 40 slide, my M&P Shield mags are hard to load or Shield is hard to rack). Would it be nice if they used the search feature? yeah.

However I can look beyond all of this.

The only thing I would ask is that the admins would be to turn off replies to threads more than 1 year old. Resurrecting old threads with 'Yeah, I have this problem too" gets old.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
Just want to know, and this isn't a "Google" or "FAQ" question... is this Forum ALL like this? I mean, does everyone have kind of an attitude about questions to the group?
Of course not.

No one mentioned the third choice, after having a special place for stupid questions, or teaching people how to find the answer themselves....
You could just ignore the post.
I mentioned it, kinda.

If I didn't want to participate in any particular thread because I felt it was beneath me, then I might be inclined to resist the natural temptation to grace that particular thread with my overwhelming presence.

Reactions: Rick M

·
Registered
46 Posts
Back in the dark ages when I was in high school we had one teacher who emphasized that his job was not to teach us "stuff," but to teach us how to learn. I do not think they are teaching that in school anymore (or much of anything else, but that's not pertinent) so members can actually help new ones to learn how to learn by telling them to "Google" it or to read the owner's manual. Or - heaven help us - to contact the manufacturer or seller.

Acting superior because others have not learned how to learn is ........well, I'm not finishing this sentence because I'm new here and don't want to get kicked out just yet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts