MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local gun shop today, and I was looking at some .22LR pistols (Sig Mosquito and Walter P22). I'm interested in picking up a .22LR just for fun, but I would like some educated input. Besides the two I've mentioned above, does anyone know of any maker(s) of .22LR?

I want to attach a silencer and maybe a laser to the pistol, but this is just a "fun pistol." No, I don't intend on carrying it for defense purposes, I have my M&P. I would like to stay under $500.00 for the gun, because I'm not a professional shooter and I don't plan to shoot competitively anytime soon.

Bottom line, I just want a range pistol that I can shoot all day long and not have to drop like $300.00 for ammo (have you seen the price of ammo lately...CRAZY). :wink: :wink: :wink:

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Beretta U22 Neos with a 6" or 7.5" barrel for target shooting

Smith and Wesson 22A pistol... longer the barrel the better

I'd consider those. The P22 is to small and, to me, a carry gun... the 5" barrel is nice, but for something you'll just be target shooting with, go with one of the above two.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
One more thing...I need to do research on some silencer too. Can anyone tell me some maker of .22LR silencer and what I need to do (paperwork) to get a silencer. Thanks again.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Ruger and Gem tech are my choices for a .22lr and suppressor, but the SME is Josh. Josh has a very nice set-up of both Ruger and Suppressor. Just do a search of 22lr, and you will be amazed at the amount of topics here on the forum...

Good luck and enjoy, 22's are a blast.

·
Registered
217 Posts
S&W 22A Pistol 5-1/2" Barrel with Polished Sides w/HIVIZ Front

Right out of the box it performed perfectly.

Excellent peformance and outstanding quality, worth every penny.Great pistol very nice for training/ target shooting

shoot over 2000 rounds with no jam or misfire.

Trigger is excellent

·
Registered
449 Posts
pistolm&p said:
S&W 22A Pistol 5-1/2" Barrel with Polished Sides w/HIVIZ Front
I second that. I own a 7" barrel, and it's a joy to shoot!

·
Registered
660 Posts
I too have a S&W 22A. I also have a Ruger Single Six revolver. Go with the 22A. It goes bang every time and its pretty darn accurate. All day at the range for under $20 in ammo...you just can't beat that.

·
Registered
910 Posts
slomo said:
One more thing...I need to do research on some silencer too. Can anyone tell me some maker of .22LR silencer and what I need to do (paperwork) to get a silencer. Thanks again.

I won't even begin to try and suggest a .22lr suppressor as there are too many different choices out there. I'll just say you can't go wrong with the following: YHM Mite, SWR Warlock, AAC Pilot, GemTech Outback II, or any of Tactical Innovations suppressors. It really depends on how much you want to spend, what kind of materials you want, if you want a sealed unit or take apart, quick detach vs. thread on, etc.

As far as paperwork you have a few options. You can do all the paperwork, or form a trust and do less, and I think you can also form a corporation and it's the same paperwork as the trust route.

The process is as follows:

Must be 21 years old. Find a Class III firearms dealer near you that sells the silencer you want(if they don't have the one you want buy from any other dealer and have it transferred to your dealer). Buy the suppressor, and get the info from it(maker, place it's made, serial #, etc.) and fill out an ATF Form 4. Get two passport photo's taken. Get fingerprints taken. Get local CLEO(Chief Law Enforcement Officer) to sign off on your Form 4. Take signed Form 4 and place it in an envelope along with your passport photo's, fingerprint card, and a check made out to the ATF for $200 for the cost of the transfer tax, and sent it to the ATF's NFA office. Now wait anywhere from a week or two up to 90 days for the ATF to approve it, then go pick up your new toy.

If you form a trust you can skip the fingerprints, CLEO signature, and photographs.

Your best bet is to find a Class 3 dealer who'll hold your hand through your first NFA purchase just to make sure it's done properly. I suggest you visit www.silencertalk.com/forum A few of the top manufacturer's(AAC, SWR, DTA, etc.) post there and there's a ton of great info there regarding silencers and the purchase process.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Don't forget that MOST NFA dealers also charge a $100 transfer fee... because I don't know to many that have this kind of stuff in stock. Actually, there is maybe 1 or 2 in Houston with the ability to do this.

Besides... 22LR supressor = a coke bottle.
:twisted:

·
Registered
660 Posts
Grimwulff said:
Don't forget that MOST NFA dealers also charge a $100 transfer fee... because I don't know to many that have this kind of stuff in stock. Actually, there is maybe 1 or 2 in Houston with the ability to do this.

anyone actually try that coke bottle trick? Does it work?

·
Registered
910 Posts
Fire1 said:
[quote name='Grimwulff']Don't forget that MOST NFA dealers also charge a $100 transfer fee... because I don't know to many that have this kind of stuff in stock. Actually, there is maybe 1 or 2 in Houston with the ability to do this.

anyone actually try that coke bottle trick? Does it work?[/quote]

It's been shown to work on .22lr. Not very well, though. Really depends on how much effort you put into it. A company actually use to sell adapters that allowed plastic bottles to be screwed onto guns for use as a suppressor.

I would advise against taping a plastic bottle onto the end of your gun, though, as doing so would be a felony unless you had an approved ATF Form 1 for your homemade coke bottle silencer.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
ohh come on we are all crazy gun nut felons anyway whats one more

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the inputs, but you would please post some links if possible? One thing, kinna leaning towards the Walther P22, any advise? Thanks again.

·
Registered
215 Posts
101Combat Vet said:
ohh come on we are all crazy gun nut felons anyway whats one more

Yeah, we all have arsenals in our houses.......and I even live close to a school. :twisted:

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
akr said:
[quote name='101Combat Vet']ohh come on we are all crazy gun nut felons anyway whats one more

Yeah, we all have arsenals in our houses.......and I even live close to a school. :twisted:
[/quote]

Watch out
"The man" is coming for you

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've got the P22 with both barrels. Other than a proclivity of the barrel weight to loosen, I've have zero probs with it. I solved the weight prob with some loctite. Great little gun.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out the Browning Buck Mark Target Stainless. There's like 25 different Buck Mark models, and the aforementioned model is at the top end - 7.25" fluted bull barrel. Nice gun.

edit - You can find them for around $400 if you shop around.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts