MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience or suggestions (front heights) when it comes to suppressor height sights? I want to put them on at the same time I have my slide milled. This is new territory:dizzy: for me.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I would discuss it with the gunsmith. All we can do is guess at what he's going to do, but he's going to know.

BTW, nice sight. I have experience with Holosun tube sights and based on that just put a 507c on an arm braced handgun. Good value for the $.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Anyone have experience or suggestions (front heights) when it comes to suppressor height sights? I want to put them on at the same time I have my slide milled. This is new territory:dizzy: for me.
Trijicon makes suppressor sights for the M&P. Between those sights, the milling, the refinishing and then adding a red dot; you will have a bunch of money in that gun.
https://www.trijicon.com/products/details/sa237-c-600900

But if you are going to do it, if the Machinist knows the height of the sights and the height of the optic you are going to use; he might be able to maintain the height of the cut so they co-witness precisely.

I'll be trying a new Holosun. The Version 2's shown at SHOT should be available in the next few weeks. I use a Vortex Venom on a 5" Core now, and a Fastfire III on a Ruger Mark IV Competition (That I haven't got to shoot yet).

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I know $$$ are adding up. I'll have more in the 'optic' and work than the gun. Plus my apex trigger, but will sell my Trijicon HD sights.

My real fear is this is a slippery slope. My Range Officer Target 1911 will need one next.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The money is worth it as long as you pick the right pistol.

It's got to be reliable and you need to be able to shoot it well. Then the extra money (as you stated, more than the pistol cost new) is still worth it.

My EDC concealed is a P07 with a DI RMR on it. Every day, hot, cold, raining, shopping, eating out, road trips, etc., etc., etc.

My bedroom pistol is a P09 with a DI RMR on it.

My wife had an XDM 3.8" 9MM that she confiscated from me because she shot it so well. Then she shot my new CZ75 Compact and it shot smaller groups than the XDM. So she got that one and I bought myself another one.

Then she wanted a red dot. I sent her CZ75 Compact off to Primary Machine to have it milled for a DP Pro, have a tall front sight installed on it and have the slide cerakoted. She shot it great. Very nice groups. But, after a year or so she started moaning and groaning that it was "just so heavy to carry." Got her an M&P 9MM PC Shield and it's another great shooter and she carries it every day - but I'm not spending the money to put a red dot on it till she proves she's not going to carry it from "now on." It costs two much money to have that work done only to switch pistols a year later.

So, make sure you can live with your choice on handguns and optics. If you've got the right gun for you, it's very worth it.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
Then she wanted a red dot. I sent her CZ75 Compact off to Primary Machine to have it milled for a DP Pro, have a tall front sight installed on it and have the slide cerakoted. She shot it great. Very nice groups. But, after a year or so she started moaning and groaning that it was "just so heavy to carry." Got her an M&P 9MM PC Shield and it's another great shooter and she carries it every day - but I'm not spending the money to put a red dot on it till she proves she's not going to carry it from "now on." It costs two much money to have that work done only to switch pistols a year later.
I basically went through this thought process when I was considering a red dot for my EDC 9c. My eyes could benefit from the red dot, but the problem my eyes have is at distance. My crystal ball is foggy, but if I need to shoot something that is too far away for my eyes to effectively use the open sights I can also probably disengage. So I asked myself if I really wanted/needed the bigger gun? I never had a red dot installed. But in the right place/right use and on the right gun, as you stated, they are really nice.Today none of my EDC guns wear red dots but all my other guns wear optics of some sort.

kenshomi, Yes, the $$$ adds up, but they really are nice! I figure the cost in with the price of the gun. If the gun costing $500 requires a red dot, and it costs $300, the cost of the gun isn't $500 but $800 (and whatever else it needs to mount it). When you get to a certain age not only are they really nice, but really required. It's nice when you reach that age if your guns that need them already wear them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Absolutely. If I lose my glasses, the front sight is gone, too. How do you hit, what you want to hit, without a front sight?

Without the glasses, the amber dot on the DI RMR is a fuzzy amber dot. I can still put a fuzzy dot on the target.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Average attorney consultation is ~ $250-300 / hour. Just sayin'.

Caution: Pseudo-science and / or amateur photos may be embedded in this post.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I did the same with my 2.0 compact. It's my EDC. I used www.ateiguns.com for my milling & sights. (They're just up the road from me). I use a Trijicon RMR & went with Ameriglo black suppressor height sights. It can be pricey to get into a RD for your pistol but it's worth every penny when you see the benefits. Here's a pic of mine so you can see the how the sights sit in relation to the red dot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thank you for the input. I like M&P with the Apex trigger I am happy with it so without the red dot I'm sticking with her. Will probably shoot a few more red dots (green too) before making the decision. I like being able to see the X and 9 rings at 15+yards. Where today even the skinny Trijicon front sight totally blocks it out.

@Delta-3 - I use to be 30 minutes from Doug's shop. Now I'm in Texas, miss being able to drop off and getting to look at all his 'toys'

·
Registered
421 Posts
Thank you for the input. I like M&P with the Apex trigger I am happy with it so without the red dot I'm sticking with her. Will probably shoot a few more red dots (green too) before making the decision. I like being able to see the X and 9 rings at 15+yards. Where today even the skinny Trijicon front sight totally blocks it out.

@Delta-3 - I use to be 30 minutes from Doug's shop. Now I'm in Texas, miss being able to drop off and getting to look at all his 'toys'
Reminds me, checking on the color that works best for you is important.

My eyes see amber better. I have two DI RMRs, one amber, one green. I can use the amber under light conditions that render the dot in the green one invisible to me.

Some people see green better.

Recently I bought a 1X4 rifle scope with red/or green reticle illumination. The red is fine. The green is a waste of my time. I can use it, but there's something about it that distracts me and takes away from the view of the target/surroundings in the scope/field of view.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m all in on RMRs on my M&Ps. Agree with the recommendations to go with the suppressor sights the gunsmith doing the mulling recommends. Plus that seems to be the most cost effective.

I’ve used Bowie, ATEi and DP Custom for the 4 M&PS I’ve had milled for my wife and I. I’ve been extremely happy with all of them. Great work, customer service and turn around.

One thing I do recommend is don’t complicate your sight picture with night sight back up sights. Just plain black works best. That was the recommendation I received when I had Bowie do my first one several years ago and he was right on.

·
Registered
421 Posts
My two CZ/RMR'd pistols both have amber FO front sights. One is amber RMR/amber FO and it doesn't bother me. I'm not really aware of the FO front sight as it is low in the window and the RMR dot is well above it.

My wife had a real issue with the CZ Compact with the DP Pro and amber FO front sight. She said it confused her, didn't know which dot to use.

I put a green FO rod in the front sight and she was happy as could be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts