MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will the Surefire X300 Tactical Light work on an M&P 45? If so, are there any issues with fit and light overhang? Any experience with this accomodation is appreciated.

TIA

·
Registered
58 Posts
Maybe it's just me.

I've always thought the SureFire lights were just way over priced. Why are they so expensive sometimes 5x what a comparable LED light would be? I don't mind paying good money for good products but they seem like a waste.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
Re: Maybe it's just me.

Omikron said:
I've always thought the SureFire lights were just way over priced. Why are they so expensive sometimes 5x what a comparable LED light would be? I don't mind paying good money for good products but they seem like a waste.

Design ... they are very well designed and often a generation ahead of the competition.

Durability ... their lights are built to withstand more abuse than many of the less expensive options on the market.

Demand ... they're the only game in town for a lot of high-profile people and the standard against which everyone else is compared.

I'm not saying they make the only good lights. I keep an InSight Typhoon as my bedside light and carry it when a light bigger than my L4 is appropriate.

·
Registered
4,679 Posts
Easy there.

If you don't want any discussion at all, then maybe you should just e-mail Surefire and S&W

for tech. questions.

ToddG's excellent advice and knowledge is usually worth your time to read.

Also, most light threads on this forum don't get much discussion. If someone does post something pertaining to the topic it could be beneficial to you because your thread was just bumped to the top.

We are all here to learn.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
YukonGlocker said:
Easy there.

If you don't want any discussion at all, then maybe you should just e-mail Surefire and S&W

for tech. questions.

ToddG's excellent advice and knowledge is usually worth your time to read.

I agree you ask a question about a product you get the package or no one will answer your posts anymore-enjoy

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Re: Maybe it's just me.

Internet prices are more reasonable. Surefire is worth what they cost. Very well made and can take some really tough abuse. Didn't know the X300 was out. I'll have to pick one up and try it out on my .40 and .45.

Omikron said:

·
Registered
43 Posts
One down side is that Surefire still has not released an M&P version of its remote tailcap switches for the X series lights. Scroll down and look at the DG and SL products http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_dis...LED-WeaponLight

These remote tailcap switches allow you to activate the light without changing your grip or using your finger tips and they work really well. I have several X series lights on several Glocks and they all have an SL remote tailcap switch.

SF has said they will be making them for M&Ps but I haven't seen them yet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My apologies, didn't mean to sound abrasive, just seeking input on the original question. I'm ready to buy and find myself a bit anxious on the SureFire product. My thread drift was not meant for anybody specific, but sometimes certain threads can go way off topic from the original intent.

Again, my sincere apology to anybody offended.

·
Registered
270 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
May go with the TLR2 since the price difference between that and the SureFire is only $50 and the TLR2 offers a laser.

·
Registered
495 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
May go with the TLR2 since the price difference between that and the SureFire is only $50 and the TLR2 offers a laser.
That is what I used to use but have changed my mind. With the TLR-2 or M6x you cannot operate the laser and light independantly. Sure, you can change the selector to light or laser only but you can not do that quickly on the fly. The one thing I like about the the Surefire X200 and I am sure the X300 is the same, is the "push in" momentary operation. Either strong or weak hand the movement will be the same. On the Insight/Streamlight lights with the rotating toggle your movement is opposite between strong and weak hand. If you want light and laser go with the CTC lasergrips and the Surefire light. Yea, I know, it is a very expensive set up but how much is your life worth?

·
Registered
3 Posts
As far as remote switches go, I had called SureFire several months ago concerning that and they said the -12 model that fits a particular SIG works on the M&P. Whether or not this is true, I do not know. Hopefully someone has one and can say so. Comparing pics of the two pistol, the trigger guard geometry seems close enough...but I can't say for sure. I, myself, would be reassured if they had specific models...but then again, if a SIG and M&P are near identical...they should designate it as so.

The cost of a SureFire didn't bug me so much as the beam shape did. While there are those that will enjoy the 200A and 200B's particular beam shapes, I wasn't one of them...the 300 is the shape that I wanted. This is all personal preference.

As is the switch activation...true the SureFire's switch activation is ambidextrous regardless of side, the Streamlight's excellent TLR isn't. May/May not be a big deal for some people...personal preference.

The one thing that keeps me from saving money on a TLR is I HAVE to have a remote switch on my pistol, and SureFire makes some damn good switches for specific models of pistols.

The TLR has some sort of universal type tape switch, which makes it excellent for my AR but I haven't found a smooth way about it with my pistol. The switch, again, is personal preference.

For my AR, the TLR helps me save money (vs. SF's Scout Light, and I like the TLR's beam shape better) though it'll be the X300 eventually for me for my pistol for the switch on the pistol. Both beam shapes are about the same as well, so no different "sight pictures" there.

The only thing I'd be concerned...and I do not know for sure this either, is holster fit. I know the heads of the 200A and 200B were significant enough that in several cases there were individual model holsters specific to it. I cannot tell whether the X300's head geometry has it where it will fit any previous models or needs a whole new model.

Some of this will be helpful to some of you, some of this will be garbage. Though in the end, it really all comes down to personal preference.

As for the original question, haven't fitted an X300 on any of the M&P's, but the X200 works well so if you go with the X300 (or TLR lights) you shouldn't have any issues. If you can, hopefully one will show up at a gun store where there are M&P pistols and the guy behind the counter is cool enough to fit them on the spot to reassure you (they'll do that here...guess it depends where you're at).

·
Registered
163 Posts
gtmtnbiker98 said:
Will the Surefire X300 Tactical Light work on an M&P 45? If so, are there any issues with fit and light overhang? Any experience with this accomodation is appreciated.

TIA

I received a Surefire X300 light today, for my M&P45. It's very bright! There is a slight problem with the fit. When you slide the light on the rail, it butts up against the front of the trigger guard a little prematurely. It is preventing me from engaging the bar into the Picatinny groove, by a very small amount. I tried both the universal bar (the thinner one), and the Picatinny one, and it does not work.

It's missing the groove by about 1/32". Probably on a hot day it would fit. I'm certain this can be easily remedied by carefully trimming any one of the following:

Locking bar

Rail slot

Rear switch housing

Front of trigger guard

Because the locking bar is a small, inexpensive, replaceable part, I will probably modify it. I think maybe just knocking off the sharp edge of the locking bar, with a very slight radius will do it.

Did I mention it's very bright!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Steelshooter said:
Yikes...that thing really sticks out.

I believe the idea is to wear the RLS on the duty belt. If you need a light, it's available. If you need a weapon light, mount it. It's not meant to be holstered.

--

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
UPSguy said:
TAC

just push a little harder, it will lock.

Almost! One side did click in, but I couldn't get the other side to catch. I took a metal nail file and very lightly trimmed the edge of the bar, and the rail slot, and that did the trick. I took off so little you can't even tell by looking it it. It's a very tight fit, which is good! I hate when a weapon light does not mount tight.

The X300 is very expensive, but it is the highest quality one could ask for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TAC said:
[quote name='UPSguy']TAC

just push a little harder, it will lock.

Almost! One side did click in, but I couldn't get the other side to catch. I took a metal nail file and very lightly trimmed the edge of the bar, and the rail slot, and that did the trick. I took off so little you can't even tell by looking it it. It's a very tight fit, which is good! I hate when a weapon light does not mount tight.

The X300 is very expensive, but it is the highest quality one could ask for.[/quote]

Ugggghh :?

Actually, in the directions, Surefire explains how to fit the light to your rail.

My X300 did the same thing when I first took it out of the box, was butting up to the trigger guard too soon. So I then looked at the directions, and it tells you to loosen the (6) screws that hold the mounting rails to the light. Add Loktite to the screws then screw back in. Loosen back one full turn and then slide the light on the rail. It will fit fine now with the rails not being snugged up.

At that point you can then tighten the screws while on the pistol (not super tight or anything) so that the fit is customized for your pistol's rails.

This worked perfectly for my M&P 45 and nothin has been filed off so everything will fit on other pistols or rails if needed.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts