MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to a gun show tommorow. I want to pick up an FNP - 9 but I have already called ahead and there will not be an FN dealer there. There is however, Springfield and S&W, I want either of these and cannot be swayed on the FNP, I will just buy it later on at a larger gun show.

I am interested in 9mm only....have several glocks and am looking for something to take to the range that is (a) cheaper to shoot (b) accurate © reliable....

I am looking into an XD 5" 9mm tactical, or an MP 9mm full size. Has anyone shot both? Pros and cons of both?

Please help me make up my mind.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
My XD sits in the safe ever since I got my M&P!! XD is made in Croatia, M&P in the US!! Need I really say anymore?

Hold both in your hand and try pointing them to see which fits you better. The M&P can have trigger work done by the owner without having to purchase any parts!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As can a glock
I have held and shot a M&P 40, held both service and tactical XD but have not fired one. I have done searches and posted on here I just forgot password and can't recover. Just wanted some opinionated opinions. I have shot it, read reviews...spent hours researching both.

Just a few peoples opinions that own or have fired both. Honest comparisons & experiences.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was looking at the same 2 choices but in 40.sw. I ended up with the M&P. Both are great guns but the made in USA helped me make my decision. If you want the 5" I guess you should go with the XD. There are a lot of good post about this on handgunforum.net They might be less biased than here.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've put 5,000 rounds through a XD40 sub compact. This was my first centerfire, semi-auto pistol. It was very accurate for such a short barreled pistol. I had no malfunctions. (95% of the rounds were reduced load, home cast lead bullets). I bought a couple of Springfield Armory 1911s and, all of the sudden, I didn't like the grip on the XD nearly as much.

I decided to buy a 9mm, did some research and held various pistols and bought the M&P full size. I much prefer this gun to the XD. I think the factory sights are a bit better, the grip is much better and it's a real plus to have the interchangable grip inserts. The bottom of the trigger guard on the XD chaffed on my middle finger. No such problems with the M&P. I didn't like the XD trigger safety and much prefer the smooth surface of the M&P trigger.

My XD is for sale on consignment at a gun shop.

rjs

·
Registered
131 Posts
I went through the "XD versus M&P" debate about a year ago and ended up with the M&P. I have shot the XD in 9mm and .45, and while I found it to be a well made, accurate, and comfortable pistol to shoot, I just plain preferred the feel of the M&P. My wife on the other hand preferred the XD over the M&P in .45. No right or wrong choice here, it all comes down to personal preference so I would suggest that you hold both or better yet, shoot both if possible before you make your choice.

·
Registered
38 Posts
The XD is a good gun, I came to the M&P from the XD-9.

In my eyes, the M&P is more comfortable in the hand and its angle makes aiming more natural (think 1911) and results in less felt recoil.

The XDs always felt "slide heavy" or "top heavy" to me personally. I seem to get more muzzle-flip with them than an M&P or even a glock.

And not that it matters a ton...but I think the M&P looks cooler. 8)

The XD is also a very thick gun especially if you are looking to conceal. The XD compact is like a tiny brick you carry around lol. Additionally, the force required to rack the slide on the XD feels way heavier than the M&P.

You may think that's no big deal, but I can tell you that after my last defensive handgun class when I was getting very tired and my hands were covered in sweat I actually had trouble racking the slide. In a high-stress situation, it could become an issue at least it seemed that way to me, but I'm not a big guy.

Overall though, they are both good guns and you won't go wrong with either.

·
Registered
131 Posts
M&Pdoggy said:

The XDs always felt "slide heavy" or "top heavy" to me personally. I seem to get more muzzle-flip with them than an M&P or even a glock.

M&Pdoggy, my wife agrees, the XD is heavier on top but she actually prefers it that way (again, I'm not sure why but it goes back to personal preference). She has the .45 Compact but she feels that the additional weight actually helps her to keep the muzzle flip to a minimum versus a lighter pistol of similar size. I agree that it must feel like carrying a brick compared to my 9c!

·
Registered
38 Posts
rswaz said:
[quote name='M&Pdoggy']The XD is a good gun, I came to the M&P from the XD-9.

M&Pdoggy, my wife agrees, the XD is heavier on top but she actually prefers it that way (again, I'm not sure why but it goes back to personal preference). She has the .45 Compact but she feels that the additional weight actually helps her to keep the muzzle flip to a minimum versus a lighter pistol of similar size. I agree that it must feel like carrying a brick compared to my 9c![/quote]

Ya, I think for me the issue is related to the fact that with the grip safety depressed there is actually a pretty large gap underneath the grip tang. I have thin hands so it was hard to really get the "meat" of my hands underneath the tang on the XD. This resulted in more felt recoil and muzzle flip when the top-heavy slide came flying back.

Guys with bigger hands though tend to love the XD because they can fill that gap on the grip and the top-heaviness actually works to their benefit.

On my M&P I actually use the large grip. It helps fill the gaps due to my thin hands and I can get a really firm grip on the gun. The XD has a pretty narrow grip in my opinion. I'm 5'11" 160lbs if that gives you reference to my build. If you're a bigger build, the XD grip will probably suit you fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the comments. Having held both side by side and having shot a M&P 40...I like the shape of the M&P grip better, but I wish the pistol itself was a little bigger (maybe .45...but ammo costs are the only reason I want a 9mm). I wish it was a hair bigger. The XD feels better than my glocks because it doesnt have stupid finger grooves....but it still feels blocky and unnatural

I will see what kind of deals I can get tomorrow. I like the M&P better but have not fired XD yet. Shape and weight distribution of M&P is better, slide serrations are nice.

I do however, HATE the slide release on the M&P. Do they make a bigger one thats not so recessed? I like the trigger but would like to do a trigger job if I bought a M&P..anyone know anything about this?

I think M&P with a better easier to engage slide release and a nice trigger polish would be perfect for what I want to accomplish. Not to mention better looking than XD. The bi-tone is nice though.

EDIT: Anything on trigger job besides this place? Kinda vague compared to glock trigger polish guides.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
I had an XD40 Tactical and an XD9 Service.

I now have an M&P40 and an M&P9

I am going to leave well enough alone.

I like my M&P's

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TOF said:
I had an XD40 Tactical and an XD9 Service.

I like my M&P's

Good to hear. I will have to compare grip size of the 9mm and the .45 tomorrow. Despite ammo costs I really want a .45....but I want to be able to shoot it alot so 9mm is much better option...but I do have big hands.

Will post back tommorow and let you guys know what I got.

·
Registered
190 Posts
GThirtyTwo

Try releasing the slide without using the Slide STOP,I think you will be happy.

Contact Dan Burwell for a great trigger.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
GThirtyTwo said:
[quote name='TOF']I had an XD40 Tactical and an XD9 Service.

I like my M&P's

Good to hear. I will have to compare grip size of the 9mm and the .45 tomorrow. Despite ammo costs I really want a .45....but I want to be able to shoot it alot so 9mm is much better option...but I do have big hands.

Will post back tommorow and let you guys know what I got.
[/quote]

Try them with the big insert. If you shoot a lot a 9 can save enough to pay for itself. So buy both. My .40 and 9 are so close together you can't tell the difference by feel. I do a lot of practice with the 9 but use the .40 in matches.

Even handload .40's are $50 a thousand more than 9mm and .45 is even greater. In 6 or 7 months the 9 pays for itself.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
131 Posts
choochboost said:
I really dislike the XD trigger.

I liked the XD .45 compact trigger better than the M&P .45 out of the box, but after having Mr. Burwell perform his magic on my M&P, it is AWESOME and the XD does not compare.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
XD vrs. M$P

rswaz said:
M&Pdoggy said:

The XDs always felt "slide heavy" or "top heavy" to me personally.

Sold my XD9 to buy a M&P. Points and shoots better and that's even BEFORE the Burwell trigger job.(Which is now done)

Only thing I liked about the XD was the grip safety.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have an XD 9 Tactical, a Glock 22 40, and a M&P 45. I love the XD and the M&P...........really don't like the Glock........have a Taurus PT 1911, prefer it over the Glock also.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get them both...
Honestly, you can't go wrong with either one. I have them both, and they both, in my opinion, serve their purpose very well. I bought the XD 40 subcombact with the stainless finish. Great gun, but I'm waiting on an Infidel Holster for it, so I carry the M&P 40c in the mean time.

To make things easier, just buy them both!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts