MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May sound like a dumb question but just wanna make sure;

I've been lucky so far, when I got my press I got enough stuff to make 4K rounds all with federal primers. But I'm in need of more supplies and am starting to feel the federal primer shortage and was only able to pick up 3K federals out of the 6K i wanted.

I'm checking one more place tomorrow but if I can't find more federal I may have to get some winchester primers to make up the differance. Changing primer brands shouldn't have any effect on my loads should it?? I've been using 4.2-4.4grn titegroup with 180grn .40 rounds .... primer brand shouldn't make me change that right??

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
The federal primers lite off easier, that's about it. You probably won't get the exact same velocity with one brand vs. another, but as long as you are swapping small pistol for small pistol, it shouldn't be an issue regarding safety.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I too

Prefer federal primers, but Winchester is my second choice. The only ones I have not had good luck with were cci in small pistol. Some of my 38/357 revolvers required a second hit to make them go bang.

There should not be any safety issue by mixing primers as long and you do not mix up standard and magnum primers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts