MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I am looking into buying a tactical (tacticool) watch for my best friend for Christmas, I just dont know which one. I am looking to spend around 200 or under. I have seen both the luminox and the traser in this range....is there anything else. Which one of these would be better, or are they kinda the same as I think.

·
Registered
599 Posts
watch

I have two LUMI NOX Nave Seals watch. Very nice. Check around, should be under

$200 for the basic , which what I have. Nicer could go $600 + Good Luck

·
Registered
257 Posts
My Suunto Vector tells me barometric pressure (when it's going to rain, or stop raining), my altitude, and has a digital compass on it. Should be able to find one for under $200...

Dunno how high it rates on the CDI factor...but its a more useful watch (when outdoors) than most anything else I could put on my wrist.

What makes a watch "tactical", anyway?

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
If you want a watch that "real operators" wear, the two most common by far are the various Casio G-Shocks and some of the larger Suuntos. I have a Suunto X-Lander Military and it's possibly the worst watch I've ever owned, but it definitely provides the necessary wannabe look.

For higher-end tacticool, I wear my Kobold Polar Surveyor II Tactical:

·
Registered
48 Posts
So, todd, I have to say nice composition on the picture. Your photography skills rate as high as your trigger pull. Though clicking and click are one in the same. None the less very nice picture.

·
Registered
257 Posts
ToddG said:
I have a Suunto X-Lander Military and it's possibly the worst watch I've ever owned, but it definitely provides the necessary wannabe look.

Todd, what's up with your Suunto? Just too big of a face on it...?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I don't know about the traser, but I have been wearing Luminox watches for about 8 yrs and especially like the Tritium lights. In low light situations the lights glow almost like a flashlight and are always easy to see. I just purchased a Navy Seal Evo #3055 from Dexclusive.com for $170.00. This is the cheapest price I have found on this watch. It is very durable and should last at least 5 yrs. Hope this info helps.

·
Registered
198 Posts
That Kobold is way cool. I remember seeing ads for the Kobold Endurance A, about 10 yrs ago, for $900 or so. I really wanted one, but couldn't afford it. Still wish I had one, but I have settled for my Luminox. I even went cheap on that, got a used one on Ebay for $100, great watch.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
synergy -- While the particular model I have has run trouble-free and quite accurate for a standard quartz (my other quartz watches are all thermocompensated: Sinn UX, Breitling B1, Breitling Colt) the ergonomics just suck. You have to memorize a small book just to use most of the basic functions. And, call me a purist, but the chrono ("stopwatch") feature doesn't use traditional buttons for start, stop, and lap.

Battery life is also pretty poor (especially if you're using some of the advanced functions) and water resistance is only 30M, which means it's not suitable for much more than swimming on the surface unless you want to take chances. I know people who have snorkeled with their X-Landers and had no problems, but the watch isn't rated for it.

It's very light and incredibly easy to read, but the ergos and lack of true toughness make it a poor choice for people doing Action Guy stuff. Still, it was the official Action Guy watch for quite a while, and many real-deal guys still wear them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I know what you mean about looks cool but does not stand up well. I had a Suunto Vector but it scratched to easy and the alarms were very faint. It does how ever meet the big watch little D*** syndrome criteria. My Breitling B1 is by far my favorite watch with my Suunto Stinger dive watch runs a close second. For Day to day you can not beat a G shock, with a ranger compass hanging off the side.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I'm very interested in the Casio Pathfinder, any real life pics? Looks like it may be a bit large, but I love the features it packs. The other watch that caught my eyes is the breitling emergency watch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts