MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This post is an answer to Chessie724 who posted the question in another thread.

Question:

"Does anyone else have to hold the take-down lever down while you release the slide to take it off? Mine is that way. If I don't, the lever will kick up to a 45 angle as the slide passes "home" and tries to keep going. It binds the slide up pretty good. Holding the lever down, no problem. Maybe something slightly out of tolerance or alignment? It's not big deal and I take it as a very minor quirk. Just wondering if anyone else found the same thing since I don't see that it was necessary for the gun in the video."

Answer:

Yes I had that problem as well. On my take down lever there was a blemish which would not allow the spring to sit flat when the lever is in the take down position. I fixed the problem by knocking off the high spot with a file, then using a stone to blend the surface flat.

It worked for me, but nobody but yourself can be held responsible if you mess up you gun by tinkering with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have to hold mine on my .45, if not it will snap back to the 45deg angle your describing. I have to hold mine from the moment I push it down until the slide is completely off the gun or it will 'snap' back and bind it up.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
With take down lever already turned and slide locked back;

Then pull slide all the way back and then slide it forward.

Seems to solve the problem.

However I'm also going to check the lever for that rough spot.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Never had a problem with the lever on my 40c. Had it with the 40. Wife's 9c does it sometimes, doesn't do it others. I never really lost any sleep over it though.

Can't say that I have this problem on my 1911s, my XD or my HK. :twisted:

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
matt7184 said:
Do a search and read the manual...page 22...

"ROTATE AND HOLD THE TAKE DOWN LEVER CLOCKWISE (FIGURE 24)"

Read the WHAT???
:? :? :?

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
so I cannot beat it on the floor until it pops off???? :oops: :twisted:

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
No big deal.

This seems to happen more with my MP 9c than with my MP 40. Not a big problem for me though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's not a "problem" for me, more of a minor annoyance I guess.

I had read the manual and noticed the part where it says to hold the lever, but the funny thing is before I bought this gun I had been looking at it and comparing it to the XD for many months. I had went to 5 different stores that had the gun on display during that time. Some of the stores I visited several times and held / stripped / dry fired both the XD and MP trying to make up my mind (gotta love GA, stores back in NC will not remove the trigger lock for you). I had went to Bass Pro Shops so many times one guy recognized me the last two times and even tried to talk me out of buying either gun and going with an HK or Glock instead. He told me that if I was having that much trouble deciding between the two guns then he felt nether was right for me... silly old man, I LOVE MY M&P 45!! Anyway the point is none of the guns I handled in the stores did this.

To be honest I thought it was some kind of new 'extra' safety feature that S&W had added to the newer guns since my serial number is MPS#### and all the guns I tried out at the stores were all older, I remember one being MPF and one MPJ, I can't remember the others but I feel like they were older because the finish wasn't as nice as mine.

My wife ended up buying the XD for me as my birthday present the other week, I have put less than 100 rounds through the XD and while it shoots nice and I can shoot a better pattern with it, I still prefer my M&P because it is so much more comfortable to hold and shoot!!

George has me some WS CLP coming so when I get it I will clean the gun and check for that blemish Eric75 mentioned, if it has it I will clean it up, if not ... I will still love my gun and just hold the lever like the book suggest, its not like I break it down every day anyway.

Have a good day!

Johnie

·
Registered
158 Posts
my m&p 40 you have to hold the lever but my m&p 40c you dont have to. but it has never seemed like an issue for me but i will check the fullsize for the spot

·
Registered
269 Posts
I grip it with my left hand and use my index finger to hold the lever down while I use my right hand to pull the slide back and slide it forward to remove it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the come back. 8) It's not really a bother to hold the lever down. That's the better option for me, vs. the file-down and the risk of damaging it. But sincere thanks for coming up with a fix. When I posted that, it was in some thread with a field-strip video and I noticed that the lever didn't have to be held down. IIRC, I can't think of any of the FS videos on the web where I've seen the lever being held down. That made me wonder how common/uncommon it was.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts