MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've noticed when cleaning the M&P that the take down lever doesn't seem to act like I thought, based on reading the manual etc...

I lock the slide back, push down on the sear disconnect, then rotate the take-down lever. It seems hard to rotate and spring loaded, does not stay locked down.

I then release the slide, allowing it to return closed, and try to rotate it. It does not rotate.

What works for me is to hold the slide back some, and rotate it, hold it rotated, then pull the slide off the front of the gun.

This is basically the same as my last pistol, a G17, except instead of the lever it had those two tabs you pulled down on.

For some reason, I thought the lever was something you flipped, and it stayed "open".

Looking at the pistol it seems fine, and there isn't much to that whole thing. So I'm figuring this is NORMAL. But wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
stevenknapp said:
So I've noticed when cleaning the M&P that the take down lever doesn't seem to act like I thought, based on reading the manual etc...

I lock the slide back, push down on the sear disconnect, then rotate the take-down lever. It seems hard to rotate and spring loaded, does not stay locked down.

I then release the slide, allowing it to return closed, and try to rotate it. It does not rotate.

What works for me is to hold the slide back some, and rotate it, hold it rotated, then pull the slide off the front of the gun.

This is basically the same as my last pistol, a G17, except instead of the lever it had those two tabs you pulled down on.

For some reason, I thought the lever was something you flipped, and it stayed "open".

Looking at the pistol it seems fine, and there isn't much to that whole thing. So I'm figuring this is NORMAL. But wanted to check to be sure.

Thanks.

My take down lever on my .40 stays flipped open until I close it. I haven't had a problem with it flipping back closed on its own.

·
Site Staff
9,613 Posts
As I recall the instructions say to hold it down, owner reports show some stay down, some don't...no problem either way.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK. I was expecting like this video...

http://www.bloodimage.com/DSCN1662.MOV

I found a small burr on the edge of the bit inside that rotates, filed that off smooth (it was clear it wasn't supposed to be there), then a good spray of cleaner and it stays now.

If it starts up again, I'll just ignore it. Just wanted to be sure it wasn't masking some other problem.

Thanks!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if I qualify...I had the G17 ~8 years ago. After awhile I wasn't shooting at all, took up the shotgun sports, and sold the Glock.

I got the itch to start shooting pistol again, more so some of the practical stuff, so I needed a pistol. I Was going to just get a G34, but a friend suggested I try a good number of pistols. It narrowed down to the M&P or the Sig 226.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts