MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going on a vacation with my family and we are going to Maryland. We live in Florida. As far as I know, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia are legal for me to carry in. South Carolina and Maryland I can't and the gun must be locked in trunk with ammo seperate. We will be going to Washington D.C. but I know I cannot even bring a gun there. I will be taking a bus back. Would there be a problem with putting my pistol in my luggage on the way back?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Check out http://www.gunlaws.us I think you can find out all your answers there. I live in maryland, and as your average non-felon, no record, tax-paying, law-abiding citizen, I CAN'T get a CCW. THe laws here are ridiculous. I do know that according to state law you can only transport your firearm in a vehicle if you are going to or from a gunsmith, range, or gun store and it must be in a holster or bag/box unloaded and out of reach of the driver. So keep that in ming while driving around in the Republic of Maryland.

As DC goes, if there's one place where you really need a gun thats it. Unfortunately its a no-go. There has been a recent court ruling calling the ban on handguns unconstitutional, but its now up to the courts to see where it goes.

Have a good trip, i hope that website can answer your questions.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The websites are a good starting point, but I never rely on them alone. After all, laws are continually changing and many websites don't have the funds/resources to stay on top of them all. The better sites will list POC's for each state. Ultimately, you should call each state and get the skinny before your trip. Have fun and stay safe.

·
Registered
215 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
I'm going on a vacation with my family and we are going to Maryland. We live in Florida. As far as I know, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia are legal for me to carry in. South Carolina and Maryland I can't and the gun must be locked in trunk with ammo seperate. We will be going to Washington D.C. but I know I cannot even bring a gun there. I will be taking a bus back. Would there be a problem with putting my pistol in my luggage on the way back?

Call you local ATF office for more info it would be sad to have you piece conficated and have you CCW confisicated too.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
I have a similar question, I'm driving to Chicago, and flying back. I've done my research and just can't quite get the answer, any other sites we can look through, or advice?

·
Registered
132 Posts
MilitaryPower said:
As far as I know, Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia are legal for me to carry in. South Carolina and Maryland I can't and the gun must be locked in trunk with ammo seperate.

Yeah I would definately check for each state's laws, because the information you have about South Carolina is drastically incorrect. You can carry a loaded handgun in a glove compartment and in a center console. Other than that, the gun can be transported, loaded, in any spot in the car that isn't in plain sight, with the exceptions of under a car seat and in a door.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts