MP-Pistol Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
Gen1 Shield 9mm
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering getting a 22lr pistol for squirrel hunting/non-competition target shooting. I've never owned a 22 pistol. What would you recommend? I plan to put a scope on whatever I get.

Speaking of scope, would you recommend a traditional crosshair scope or a red dot of some sort?

· Registered
516 Posts
The polymer pistols aren't going to work well if you want to use a traditional scope due to the moveable slide. There are ways around it, but there are better choices.

A pistol like a Ruger Mark II is much better for mounting a scope, especially with the longer barrel.

· Registered
623 Posts
The polymer pistols aren't going to work well if you want to use a traditional scope due to the moveable slide. There are ways around it, but there are better choices.

A pistol like a Ruger Mark II is much better for mounting a scope, especially with the longer barrel.
+1 I agree with the Ruger recommendation but get a MK IV. It works wonderfully and the disassembly/reassembly for cleaning is vastly easier than any of the earlier Mk-series. It's available in both blue and stainless finishes and all of them are drilled and tapped for numerous types of scope and red dot mounts.

· Registered
45 SWPC 45 ported
10 Posts
I have a Mark iv a 22/45 and it’s a great shooter and super easy to clean plus it has a threaded barrel so you can mount a compensator or a silencer.
The early Marks are a pain in the azz to clean

· Registered
623 Posts
Gonna offer up my Colt Woodsman Match Target in this category.

My first pistol. Bought it when I was 16 with my own working-after-school money. (Still have it over a half a century later! Yes, it's still in this condition.)

View attachment 19521
Pretty gun but not exactly what I'd recommend to the OP. First it's a valuable collectable and would cost far more than any MkIV, Buckmark, S&W Victory, etc. Second , the OP wants to install a red dot or scope and that would requiring drilling and tapping the Colt which would reduce it's value significantly.

· Registered
1 Posts
Oh, it's a beautiful sight. It's exactly how any gun should be kept to last half a century. Although I don't know how much the current quality will allow a gun to last that long. At any rate, my friend's Ruger 22 Charger may last that long because he's a gun fanatic and takes care of it like a child, searching through Hunting & Fishing Deals, Online Coupon Codes, Promo Codes for various gun accessory stores. But that's not my topic. I'm impressed with the SW22 Victory with a Kryptek camo barrel with adjustable sights and a Picatinny bar for accessories and optics. There is an idea to buy one of these.

· Registered
4 Posts
Oh, it's a beautiful sight. It's exactly how any gun should be kept to last half a century. Although I don't know how much the current quality will allow a gun to last that long
The Ruger Competition / Target Mark IV Series are still pretty well made. As is the Smith & Wesson Model 41. But both are somewhat costly when compared to the other cheap Aluminium and plastic crap that is out there.

· Registered
723 Posts
Ruger Mk. Which model? I don't know which one to recommend. Mine is a Mk1 I bought in 1982 or so. Never needed another one after that.

My brother bought an older used Ruger (prior to the Mk1 being stamped on them) with the 5.5" bull barrel and adjustable sights. We took it out to sight it in. I got up to about 10 or 12 yds. to the target in case it was way off to insure it would be on the paper. Off hand. First shot was low and left on the paper. Second shot wasn't visible. I was trying to figure out how I missed the whole piece of paper that close. On the third shot I could see the hole was just a tiny bit larger. I turned around and asked him if he wanted to sell his pistol to me and he said, " No way!"

Bought one of my own a few months later. My other brother said he never new a pistol could shoot like a rifle after we went shooting with those pistols.

I used to squirrel hunt with mine. Head shots only. Not saying I did that at extreme distances. Part of the run was seeing how close I could sneak up on them as they worked a tree eating hickory nuts/acorns.

· Registered
4 Posts
Ruger Mk. Which model? I don't know which one to recommend. Mine is a Mk1 I bought in 1982 or so. Never needed another one after that.

My brother bought an older used Ruger (prior to the Mk1 being stamped on them) with the 5.5" bull barrel and adjustable sights. We took it out to sight it in. I got up to about 10 or 12 yds. to the target in case it was way off to insure it would be on the paper. Off hand. First shot was low and left on the paper. Second shot wasn't visible. I was trying to figure out how I missed the whole piece of paper that close. On the third shot I could see the hole was just a tiny bit larger. I turned around and asked him if he wanted to sell his pistol to me and he said, " No way!"

Bought one of my own a few months later. My other brother said he never new a pistol could shoot like a rifle after we went shooting with those pistols.

I used to squirrel hunt with mine. Head shots only. Not saying I did that at extreme distances. Part of the run was seeing how close I could sneak up on them as they worked a tree eating hickory nuts/acorns.
I have several Mark II's, a Mark III, and 2 Mark IV models. The Mark IV is the only one to consider. All the others are a royal PITA to field strip and get back together. The Mark IV features one button takedown. And it works beautifully.

I won't even attempt to disassemble my Mark II's and III's. I will simply remove the grips, and wash them in a bucket of clean Kerosene. Then blow them dry with compressed air. It flushes out all the crap. And after a good air blast with compressed air, leaves them clean and dry. I then lubricate, reinstall the grips, and they're cleaner than the day I bought them.

· Administrator
710 Posts
The Mark IV is the only one to consider.dry. I then lubricate, reinstall the grips, and they're cleaner than the day I bought them.
I came so close to getting one of those, when I was looking for a 22 to teach my son with late last year. But in the end, I went with a Buckmark. I'd owned a Buckmark a decade ago, so I was very familiar with it.

· Registered
723 Posts
You know, I didn't care for that back cut front sight on the 5.5" Mk1 bull barrel. I bought a Ruger Single Six front sight and put on it so it could come out of the holster easier and not drag that hooked sight in the leather.

The Mk1 hard to get back together? Yeah, it was the first time or two and then I figured out how to put the back in part way, tilt it just right to get that hammer stirrup (or whatever it's called) to fall right into the cup on top of the hammer spring when you close it up. No issues after that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts