MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the title says it all. I am thinking of getting a kimber ultra SIS. I like the all steel aspect as opposed to the alloy. I have a few full size and a comander but am really into smaller handguns since I got my M&P9c. So let me know what you all think of the smaller 1911

·
Registered
5,062 Posts
Generally, they get picked on in two areas. 1) reliability, and 2) ballistics since .45 loads are optimized for 5" barrels.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I had one and did not care that much for it, it was a Kimber Ultra Shadow ll

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a Kimber Ultra Aegis II (3") about 1 year ago. I have only had the opportunity to fire the gun for maybe 500 rounds. I have had only one failure to eject and no other problems. Being new to guns I would think this could have easily been due to something I was doing incorrectly, but who knows. Of course the Aegis is a 9mm, so it may be less likely to fail than a .45. After ordering the gun I began to hear a lot of bad things about it - FTF FTE, etc. I have been very pleased with the gun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I've had several different Officer (3") size models. I have found them to be reliable. The thing that generally makes people think they are unreliable in that due to its short stroke and HEAVY recoil spring, it is more vulnerable to "limp wristed" induced malfunctions. The argument about sub standard balistics from the 3" bbl are true. You can negate part of the disadvantage by going with lighter (165 or 185gr) bullets in a +P but recoil is harsh. If you want a small 1911 and are comfortable with recoil, I think you'll like them.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
choochboost said:
Of course...they're 1911s and 1911s are God's gun. :wink:
No, God carries a 4" 1911 (CCO).

I'd highly recommend going with the 4" Sig Revolution C3 over any 3" 1911. And I own a 3" 1911.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought my Kimber Ultra Carry II about 10 Months ago, Just over 1200 rounds now and no hickups at all and with lots of different ammo. Love it, its my CCW. Yes I do own full sized 1911's and soon hope to add a Kimber in that department. I recomend it , but I know its not a one size world so take the time and find out what works for you but keep thoses 3 inch 1911"s in the mix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well guys thanks for all the help. I ended up with a 4" springfield SS loaded champion. I managed to get her yo the range shot great but had several instances of failure to fully go into battery. I dont want to say FTF a little tap on the back of the slide and it was good to go. I think it will loosen up with a few hundered more rounds. I really like the 1911 but I am not sure about it replacing my M&P9c for carry.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts