MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving just a bit too fast (ok, 15 miles over) I was recently pulled over on the outskirts of Luling, TX. The officer asked for my DL and I provided him with it along with my CHL. He returned with a ticket. I was surprised as I usually don't get tickets. He engaged in conversation with me a bit about my chl, asking why I carry. I told him without pause and without shame exactly why I carry...that it was my duty to protect myself and my family, so on and so forth. Furthermore adding that, no offence to you or your occupation, sir, but the role of LE is a reactionary one. In other words, I call the police after the S hits the fan and they come after the incident. All the while, being very polite and not at all attacking the officer. I completely respect LE, I understand their function and I'm very glad we have LE. Furthermore, I could see the officer was not at all objecting to what I was saying. He, in fact, told me quite bluntly that he wished he didn't have to write me that ticket but I was traveling too fast and he simply had to. I smiled and told him I wished he didn't have to either but hey, I did what I did and it's on me. He told me he liked CHL holders and didn't like to give them tickets so could I please slow it down. Indeed I will sir, I replied. Then he proceeded to tell me about Deferred Disposition.

This is where I call the court, talk with the clerk, tell her the LEO told me to call and get a Deferred Disposition. I then send them $150 for bond (ticket price) plus courts costs at $93. So a total of $243. I then will not get another moving violation of the 'same nature' within a 90 day period and if I comply with that, the ticket will be dropped from my record. NO TRAFFIC SCHOOL INVOLVED!

So all you Texans keep this in mind. It's a great back door exit that I am very happy to have learned...alright, it would have been better not to learn it but I did nonetheless.

I love Texas.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, that's true unless you have a Commercial drivers license, then you have to go to court. With a CDL 15mph over limit is a "major" violation. 2 in a 3 year span and you lose your license for 90 days.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think it is called Deferred Adjudication. At least it is in the courts around here.

Please don't ask me how I know. :roll:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
texagun said:
I think it is called Deferred Adjudication. At least it is in the courts around here.

Each area chooses between those two names... i've had to use both names in several different courts...

Deer Park, Pasadena, Houston, Chamber's County, Willis, Harris County... yea, i've had my share of speeding tickets... :?

I actually had an officer pull me over on I45 for going 115 mph (when it was a 70; I was 16 and stupid) and let me off with a warning.

·
Registered
88 Posts
texagun said:

Yea, been there and done that myself LOL!! When I upgraded to a Class B Excempt in order to drive firetrucks it changed me into a whole new category. I have been EXTREMELY LUCKY lately as I have been pulled over 3 times in the last month over a 200 mile range stretching from Hurst to Kilgore Texas LOL!! All three times I was told to slow down and have a nice night/day.

My firefighter plates have saved my a$$ more times than none. I used to gripe about having to pay an extra $4 on top of my $73 registration for my car but come to find out that $4 has saved me a world of trouble. Now, dont get me wrong, 2 of the 3 times was around 3 in the morning after getting off of work and while still in my scrubs, there are very few folks out at 3 am and most of my LE buddies have told me its just plain bad voodoo to write any FF, Paramedic, Nurse, Doctor or fellow LE folks a ticket. LOL, it even got me out of a parking ticket at school when they were going through the "write a ticket for no parking sticker phase" right when the semester started.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Some judges will also allow Defensive Driving and Texas allows it to be taken once per calendar year.

In Texas you can actually ask the judge to allow either as a sentence/judgment, skip the attorney as he's going to have you plead the case and accept either of the two anyway.

Pay the court cost, follow the directions of the court and move on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts