MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the range today.

I've fired 550 rounds through my MP40, the slide having locked back on me three times, only because I think I was riding my thumb too high.

Anyway, I was loading magazines; and setting up to fire 15 +1. I was sliding my mag into the well when I heard a pop and something hitting me in the face. I thought I crapped myself. I drop the mag out, work the slide and see that the round ejects, fully intact and unfired.

What happened was that the range had a thin spot in the shredded rubber of the berm, and pieces of jacket from HP rifles were bouncing back up the range. A quick call to the range master, and the problem was solved. The ammunition that the rifle shooter was using was high-powered hunting ammo; i. e. FMJ and set to make a lot of shrapnel. The range master tells him that he can't shoot that on the range; and that the sign in front of the lane specifies that you can't use anything other than plinking ammo on the range.

Now, it's funny and all, but I'm kind-of mad at the rifleman. That little piece of shrapnel could have been in my eye, or my throat, or not a little piece at all.

But, the range master made amends; instead of paying 140 bucks total, I only paid 60. Sweet deal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
It happens, When we perform our qualifications at the range and shoot reactive steel targets this is a common occurance of being peppered with pieces of jacket, I require all shooters to have eye and ear protection along with a hat and body armor. Yes it does scare you when you catch a piece of shrapnel.

·
Registered
36 Posts
When you go to the range you should assume that **** may fly back, your gun may explode, or the guy's next to you. If you want the illusion of safety stay at home.

Just do your part and WEAR GOOD SHOOTING GLASSES (Oakleys work well).

Don't worry about a "peice going through your neck"

People I have shot with have been hit with ricochet .45 ACP slugs before.

It leaves a nasty bruse and hurts like hell, but will not kill you if it flys back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts