MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after sending my full size .40 back to repair a faulty magazine catch, (it keeps popping free after about the 12th or 13th round of a full 15 round magazine), and having it repaired. The repair letter said "found faulty magazine catch"..."replaced".

Well, the first range trip to the range and about 300 rounds were flawless. I assumed it was fixed. Today during the 3rd full magazine it starting happening again, and did so for about 5 mag fulls in a row. Then it shot fine for another 3. I'm SURE I'm not touching the mag release button, but damn if I wasn't hoping I was. It was diagnosed as "broken" before by Smith but I'm afraid, this one ain't going to get fixed. Maybe a new frame or pistol is in order.

In any event, I'll place the call tomorrow and start the process over again. VERY discouraging experience for what has become my favortie pistol line. So far the full size 9 and compact 9 hvae been great, (although now that I'm starting to watch closely, the extractor isn't the most authoritative one I've seen on a pistol on the full size. The brass kind of tumble out of the gun.

I'll keep you posted :roll:

·
Registered
264 Posts
When you seat a magazine, fully loaded or not, can you pull it out without activating the magazine release. If so, you have issues with either the mags or the catch location being out of spec i.e. something is not fully engaging. If its difficult or impossible to remove the mag without activating the catch, then it could be an issue of the jarring of recoil activating the catch. When compared to the XD and 1911 my MP9 has a very light button. It may be something as simple as bending the steel wire acting as the catch spring to increase the force required to activate the catch. Not sure if doing so will negate your warranty though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts