MP-Pistol Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hope they have more products rolling out but someone on Reddit has already purchased one through a LGS that supposedly got a few models early

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've been waiting for them to take on Sig and Springfield with a double stack Shield. I have to admit I am envious of my sons Sig 365.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've been waiting for them to take on Sig and Springfield with a double stack Shield. I have to admit I am envious of my sons Sig 365.
That is sad, to me "new product release" should be a "new product", not a copy of what everybody else did years ago. Sig has a 15rd 365XL and the SA hellcat has 13 rounds in the shorter barrel.

If S&W makes a big deal over a Shield that holds less ammo than the competition, I will be 100% disappointed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
That is sad, to me "new product release" should be a "new product", not a copy of what everybody else did years ago. Sig has a 15rd 365XL and the SA hellcat has 13 rounds in the shorter barrel.

If S&W makes a big deal over a Shield that holds less ammo than the competition, I will be 100% disappointed.
I agree 100% I own the Shield 1.0 and it’s good but not my favorite. A friend got the Shield EZ and I got to try it out it made me super excited for what might be to come. I was hoping for SW to lose the grip safety and change the mag and have a 13-15rd slimline compact as well as a shield with more capacity. The Plus will still be bigger than the sig p365 and hold a comparable round count but isn’t anything drastic or revolutionary and just barely catching up with competition. The major benefit would be if it’s compatible with existing shield holsters, otherwise we might as well transition to a 365.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Single stacks don't carry enough rounds (this was back in the late 70's/early 80's) so the double stacks became "the thing" to buy/carry.

A few years back (up to now even), double stacks are too wide to be easily concealed/carried, why don't they develop some good single stack 9MM pistols?

Now the swing is going back to double stack small pistols????

For what it's worth, I never stopped carrying double stacks, but I don't mind that little Shield for really hiding a 9MM pistol.

Don't get upset, I laugh at how women's fashions trends are sold, too. What is "out" this year will be "in" 5 or 6 years from now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I live in Mass, yes my mistake, and I do like an MS on a pistol so no problem there. I do have a problem with an MS and a 10 lb trigger. Sig puts an MS on a 365 and it has a decent trigger - no need to upgrade. No for me reason to move to S&W. They will probably sell a bunch though so good for them. Want to see a size comparison of the new Shield with the 365 and 365 xl.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I will not keep up with the latest and greatest! I am perfectly happy with my current versions of 2.0's. In fact I regularly carry my 1970's Combat Commander......or my 1970's model 36......just saying.

·
Registered
543 Posts
After watching the "new release event" here is the what they are excited about.

Mag capacity
10+1
13+1

18 degree grip angle

flat faced trigger

less aggressive grip texture

PC versions available like the earlier models (both barrel lengths)

Looks like they missed the bus again.
This offers nothing the 365 or Hellcat didn't off a couple years ago.

Unless these are on sale for $200.00 like the gen 1 shields a few years back, I wont be in line to get any

·
Registered
2,722 Posts
My “1.0” Performance Center Shield is my “When the back’s out” gun. That said, it’s a very good pistol in it’s category. I put an Apex striker block in it, and took fourth place overall in the last couple of my range’s annual IDPA BUG matches with it. I was beat out by two Master class and one Expert class shooters, so it’ll damn sure shoot for a little 9mm.

My EDC until recently was a Wilson Professional 1911 in 9mm. That was replaced by my new 15+1 Wilson EDC X9.

31B12328-A6AE-4D85-8C81-C8132321BEBB.jpeg

8B06E9FD-4293-41D8-9BA8-CD08009D6156.jpeg

·
Registered
238 Posts
I can’t believe all the haters here! This is great news from Smith. The P365 is snappy, and the Hellcat is SUPER snappy! The Shield has always been the superior shooter with its optimal grip angle, ergonomics, and ease of shooting. And now that it competes with 10+1 and 13+1 round capacity, that’s awesome.
-Flat faced trigger with trigger shoe safety instead of the hinged trigger design = Awesome.
-Compatible with all current Shield 1.0/2.0 holsters = Awesome.
-The best grip stippling of any stock gun on the market = Awesome. Although it seems like the Shield Plus stippling is slightly less aggressive than the Shield 2.0, which I know a lot of people will love because they complained the 2.0 was on the verge of being too aggressive for all day carry. Personally I love the aggressiveness of the 2.0 grip. I carry it all day directly against skin, no problem.
-Same mechanical internals as the current Shields. This is huge in my opinion, as we get the to hell and back proven reliability of the Shield without having to be early adopter guinea pigs like many 365 and Hellcat owners were, and future Ruger Max 9 owners will be. It’s already a proven design so I think we can be confident in the reliability.

Only drawback I see on the Shield Plus is still no rail for a light. That’s where I think the P365 XL (note, not the P365) edges it out. Personally I think the P365 is TOO small. I think the P365 XL is just right. And now the Shield Plus is just a tad thicker grip than the regular Shield, which I think will be better. The Shield was always the easiest shooter of all the subcompact and micro compact guns, but I always felt that sometimes the grip was just a little too thin. Now that it’s just a tad thicker and I’m getting 10+1 and 13+1, I think the Shield Plus will be the new gold standard. I’ll have to compare it to the P365 XL to see, but this is a great announcement. Smith was losing sales to the 365 and Hellcat so it’s only natural they came out with their version to compete, especially since Ruger just announced their version the Ruger Max 9.

Even James from TFB (who is a die hard Glock guy) is loving it

·
Registered
187 Posts
Interesting. Folks here have been lamenting why Smith hasn't upgraded the Shield's capacity. Well, here we are and they're still not happy. Glock went thru the same "late to the party" criticism with their 42 & 43 models and managed to muddle thru. I won't be in the market only because I'm happy, (and proficient), with my ancient Gen 1 Shield. To the capacity crowd, I'll paraphrase Clint Smith, "Instead of shooting more, try shooting good."

·
Registered
732 Posts
Ruger just came out with their own version, the same day as the new Shield.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Interesting. Folks here have been lamenting why Smith hasn't upgraded the Shield's capacity. Well, here we are and they're still not happy. Glock went thru the same "late to the party" criticism with their 42 & 43 models and managed to muddle thru. I won't be in the market only because I'm happy, (and proficient), with my ancient Gen 1 Shield. To the capacity crowd, I'll paraphrase Clint Smith, "Instead of shooting more, try shooting good."
Right? If a gun fairy said they could give you a better trigger and 10+1/13+1 capacity in the already proven reliability and excellent ergonomics of the Shield, 100% of people would have said YES PLEASE. Not sure why folk are complaining!

No one ever wished they had less ammo!

Ruger came out with their version the Ruger Max 9, and hours later S&W told them “hold my beer”.

·
Premium Member
All guns M&P !!
519 Posts
Way to say it Jawman!!! I'm with you, a diehard M&P guy. Love my Shields, 9mm 2.0, my old favorite 1.0 40 PC and my 2.0 45 Shield... I carry them all at one time or another. The 9mm has the laser and light option from the factory, it's my night house gun. My 40PC was my carry gun for the last several years until I got a good holster for my 45 Shield, now it's all I carry. Love the stippling on it, I'm ok with the 7 round mag, carrying an extra one in my pocket.. Being I'm in Mass, the 10 rd mags are all we can have, I will probably buy another new one, just because ... I like S&W guns.. for the guys complaining about S&W's new gun ... if you are worried about running out of ammo.. learn to shoot with accuracy ..

·
Registered
90 Posts
I was thinking about maybe getting rid of my 9C and Shield and get the Shield plus. More I thought about it, I like being able to use 17 round magazines with the 9C. I will just keep what I have.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Right? If a gun fairy said they could give you a better trigger and 10+1/13+1 capacity in the already proven reliability and excellent ergonomics of the Shield, 100% of people would have said YES PLEASE. Not sure why folk are complaining!

No one ever wished they had less ammo!

Ruger came out with their version the Ruger Max 9, and hours later S&W told them “hold my beer”.
One of the reason we are saying no thanks is they are YEARS late, I already have two different guns this size with the same capacity. They brought nothing new to the table, AGAIN. Why settle?

More reasons,
Guaranteed the trigger still sucks!
The half ass stipple job they do on the 2.0 is going to be "less aggressive".
So that's strike two of your argument.
The gun is YEARS late, and street price is $549, so I guess that's strike 3.

Sigs are always expensive I/we/you can't control that, the Shield is a $300 gun, that's it so charging Sig prices won't help them compete.
You have to finish the stipple job on the 2.0 or on the new one redo the stipple job, fix the action, so no way its worth a nickle more than $300.00.

I just received an email from "gunbuyer.com" in Florida that they have them in stock, $549.00, free ship.

Since you think these will be "all that" order one and give us the range report.

I had my gen one full size upgraded in late 2015 and its still better than the 2.0 for numerous reasons.

I've shot shields in competition a couple times and meh its OK, I've used the 365 and it's about the same, but it is stippled better and until yesterday held more ammo, the complaint with it is like ALL M&P's the trigger/action is horrible.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Smith and Wesson's new website is confusing. I was trying to build the new Shield Plus and clicked optics ready 3.1" barrel and no thumb safety. Came up with model 13255. Went to Brownells and it list model 13255 with no mention of optics ready and says it has a thumb safety. The original posters image says thumb safety. Confused. Just sold my 2.0 and was ready to pre-order. I am not interested in the 4" barrel, I have other pistols with similar or smaller barrels.

·
Registered
238 Posts
One of the reason we are saying no thanks is they are YEARS late, I already have two different guns this size with the same capacity. They brought nothing new to the table, AGAIN. Why settle?
They might be years late in your opinion, but they will still sell millions of them. The Sig P365 was first announced in early 2018. Hellcat in late 2019. You know it takes a company at least a year if not 2 years from initial concept to launch date?? And before that even starts, they're going to first gauge the market and see how the competitor model is faring, and how the consumer market is reacting to it. Then once they decide to compete against it, they go to work. Smith had to design a mag that would work in the existing Shield footprint, same mechanical internals (to keep the infamous reliability) and not make us guinea pig testers like Sig did to everyone. I'd RATHER it be like this than an entirely new gun brought to the table. They had make a design that would get around Sig's patent. And they are a public, for profit company, so of course they are going to try and wait so they can sell as many 2.0 Shields as possible before introducing another Shield of this magnitude. They don't want to cannibalize product lines. And with the record breaking surge in gun sales in 2020 I'm sure this led them to delay the launch as they knew they could sell tons of guns without having to release a new one. Sure it would've been nice if it came out a year ago but I'm not complaining. Now with all of the above in mind, it should be quite obvious why this is "years late". I wouldn't be surprised if Smith delayed the launch date by up to a year due to the unprecedented demand for firearms in 2020, they didn't need to release anything. People were and still are buying anything they can get their hands on.

Guaranteed the trigger still sucks!
Guaranteed you're wrong! There's dozens and dozens of hands on reviews on YouTube pouring in, and some very prominent and respected shooters who shoot tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of rounds a year. Word is that the trigger is does not suck and is quite nice. Flat faced trigger, 4-5 lbs pull weight (which many reviewers are getting less than 5 lbs on a trigger gauge) and a solid reset, I'll take that all day long for a factory trigger! Yet somehow you can guarantee me that the new trigger sucks...hmm...okay guy...this isn't a custom 1911. Hell even the die hard Glock guys who didn't like the original Shield are loving the Shield Plus. The trigger has always been a sour spot on the Shield, lame rest on 1.0, better reset on 2.0 but still the hinge trigger design which the majority if people did not like (I don't mind it and actually prefer the Shield hinged trigger to the regular M&P hinged triggers). So it's obvious the trigger is a controversial topic, and if the trigger sucked, we'd certainly be hearing that.

The half ass stipple job they do on the 2.0 is going to be "less aggressive".
So that's strike two of your argument.
What planet are you living on? The 2.0 stipple job is hands down one of the best grip textures on the market of any factory gun. It is very widely praised by many of the top shooters in the scene. It is vastly superior to the 1.0 grip texture as so many users have proclaimed. The 2.0 texture was a welcome change from the 1.0, people love it. It really is one of the best factory stipple jobs on the market and that is a common opinion.
Some think the 2.0 grip texture is too aggressive for EDC, so I get why Smith toned it down a bit to not be as rough on the skin/make holes in shirts. I love the 2.0 grip texture but I know they did get a lot of complaints that it was too aggressive.

The gun is YEARS late, and street price is $549, so I guess that's strike 3.
Sigs are always expensive I/we/you can't control that, the Shield is a $300 gun, that's it so charging Sig prices won't help them compete.
The Shield WAS a $300 gun. Again what planet are you living on? Or what year are you stuck in? You can't find a 2.0 Shield with no thumb safety even close to that price. You'd be lucky to find a regular 2.0 Shield no safety for under $500 after tax/shipping/FFL fee. Here I'll even do the work for you: 022188872187 - Smith & Wesson M&P Shield M2.0 9MM 11808
$430 cash or $442 credit card is the cheapest one on the list, +$20 shipping, +tax, +FFL transfer, you're very close to or above $500.
The market sets the price and with the R&D, marketing costs, P365/P365XL costs, and insane demand for guns in general, this makes sense to me as an MSRP of $553, considering the street price of a 2.0 Shield no safety is close to $500 if not more. You also seem to be forgetting that a newly released gun is always going to be high at first and will naturally come down in time. Remember when the Shield 1.0 first came out? They were so hard to get a hand on and were selling out instantly. Same with the P365. And again, the insane demand for guns in general right now, especially carry guns, this should be obvious.

You have to finish the stipple job on the 2.0 or on the new one redo the stipple job, fix the action, so no way its worth a nickle more than $300.00.
Again I think the stipple job on the 2.0 is great. Personally I love the aggressive texture and carry it against my skin all day long for years and never had an issue. The vast majority of people love the 2.0 stippling over the 1.0 so I think you're in the minority here. I mean literally dozens of the biggest shooters in the industry have repeatedly said that the M&P 2.0 stipple job one of their favorites out of all manufacturers. You may not like it but again you're in the minority here.
Fix the action? The 2.0 action and reset is fine. Either you've got a lemon or you need to shoot more. I've taken multiple day long classes and I've outshot many Glock boys and 1911 guys with my 2.0 basic Shield, only thing I added are Ameriglo sights that I add to every handgun. Seriously, "the action is horrible" LOL WHAT!?

Strike 1, Strike 2, Strike3 huh? Bro you didn't even make it to the ball game!!🤣

If you don't like it then that's totally okay buddy, you don't have to buy it. The Shield whether 1.0 or 2.0 is still one of the best carry guns on the market and you can't go wrong. But it sure feels like a lot of the haters really deep down they know they want the Shield Plus but are just bitter that it didn't come out when they wanted it to and at the price they want it to be at. That's fine, but let's be realistic here. Gun prices aren't what they used to be and aren't going to be for a long time. You don't have to buy it, you do you. Hell wait until it's been out for a few years and they have another mail in rebate going.

Smith had to catch up to Sig/Hellcat, and now Ruger has their version (Max 9) which released the same day as the Shield Plus. Consumers want that stretched out capacity and now they got it.

The funniest part about all of this is that if Smith NEVER released the Shield Plus, people would still be complaining that Sig/Springfield/Ruger all released high capacity models to compete with the 365, but S&W never did! What the heck S&W! Get on with it already!! Why can't you make something to compete back?!

And now that they did release one, (that the consumers have been wanting), people are still complaining! LOL! Some things never change!

1 - 20 of 52 Posts