MP-Pistol Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I went to purchase the Shield Plus today at my LGS. Played with it a bit, then checked out the P365 XL. I think I might loose my M&P cred, because the Sig felt so much better in my hands. Walked out with it, and my first red dot as well. Drove straight to the range, and am totally in love. So that's my Shield Plus story...

Still a huge fan of the 2.0 Compact and 5" PC handguns though :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Well, I went to purchase the Shield Plus today at my LGS. Played with it a bit, then checked out the P365 XL. I think I might loose my M&P cred, because the Sig felt so much better in my hands. Walked out with it, and my first red dot as well. Drove straight to the range, and am totally in love. So that's my Shield Plus story...

Still a huge fan of the 2.0 Compact and 5" PC handguns though :)
P365 XL is a fantastic gun! I think the regular 365 is too small but the XL feels juuussst right. I might be making the same choice you did. I just need to check out the Shield Plus first.

Smith and Wesson's new website is confusing. I was trying to build the new Shield Plus and clicked optics ready 3.1" barrel and no thumb safety. Came up with model 13255. Went to Brownells and it list model 13255 with no mention of optics ready and says it has a thumb safety. The original posters image says thumb safety. Confused. Just sold my 2.0 and was ready to pre-order. I am not interested in the 4" barrel, I have other pistols with similar or smaller barrels.
Yeah it certainly is, they need to fix that. In the meantime this link should help you out!

·
Registered
46 Posts
No S&W hate here I have the .45 shield and a 9c 1.0. Love the .45 like the 9c. So I like the Smith's but living in a 10 round magazine state the extra capacity is not a factor. As far as my comment in my earlier post on the trigger for some reason S&W fits their shield MS versions with a 10 lb. trigger actually I believe all their MS models (may be incorrect on that) have a 10 lb trigger. Both pistols mentioned above came with heavy triggers. Ease of manufacture maybe? Anyway one can add an apex, like I did, and get a decent trigger but that adds another $100. My 365 has the MS but with a decent trigger out of the box. If I run across someone with the new shield plus I'll try it if I can but I am very happy with my 365 for EDC, which has been flawless by the way. S&Ws are fine pistols but IMO they were just late to this game. Better late than never though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Again I think the stipple job on the 2.0 is great.
Hands down amazing - I knew S&W shot well as any of the other big brands, but my word that gun sticks to your hand. As soon as I picked it up - I knew I was putting the money down on it. I hope the stipple work they have done continues on all future polymer lines

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have the M&P Shield 1.0 and the M&P9c 1.0 & M&P40c 1.0 and they are damn fine guns. No need for any 2.0 or a Plus for that matter. Gun manufactures are running out of ideas so they just modify what they sell and explode and ad campaign for sales.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Question on the Shield plus trigger. I shoot a full size M&P 40, sometimes with a 9mm barrel. It has several mods including an Apex trigger kit.
I see this is a flat trigger - why is that better? And, is that a safety built into the trigger? I'm not used to that. How do those of you with them like the trigger safety?
Thanks!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can’t believe all the haters here! This is great news from Smith. The P365 is snappy, and the Hellcat is SUPER snappy! The Shield has always been the superior shooter with its optimal grip angle, ergonomics, and ease of shooting. And now that it competes with 10+1 and 13+1 round capacity, that’s awesome.
-Flat faced trigger with trigger shoe safety instead of the hinged trigger design = Awesome.
-Compatible with all current Shield 1.0/2.0 holsters = Awesome.
-The best grip stippling of any stock gun on the market = Awesome. Although it seems like the Shield Plus stippling is slightly less aggressive than the Shield 2.0, which I know a lot of people will love because they complained the 2.0 was on the verge of being too aggressive for all day carry. Personally I love the aggressiveness of the 2.0 grip. I carry it all day directly against skin, no problem.
-Same mechanical internals as the current Shields. This is huge in my opinion, as we get the to hell and back proven reliability of the Shield without having to be early adopter guinea pigs like many 365 and Hellcat owners were, and future Ruger Max 9 owners will be. It’s already a proven design so I think we can be confident in the reliability.

Only drawback I see on the Shield Plus is still no rail for a light. That’s where I think the P365 XL (note, not the P365) edges it out. Personally I think the P365 is TOO small. I think the P365 XL is just right. And now the Shield Plus is just a tad thicker grip than the regular Shield, which I think will be better. The Shield was always the easiest shooter of all the subcompact and micro compact guns, but I always felt that sometimes the grip was just a little too thin. Now that it’s just a tad thicker and I’m getting 10+1 and 13+1, I think the Shield Plus will be the new gold standard. I’ll have to compare it to the P365 XL to see, but this is a great announcement. Smith was losing sales to the 365 and Hellcat so it’s only natural they came out with their version to compete, especially since Ruger just announced their version the Ruger Max 9.

Even James from TFB (who is a die hard Glock guy) is loving it
I have the 2.0 Sheild. And I can shoot it very well .I figure, if I need more then 8 rounds, im in big trouble anyways . I dont need any more then 8 BUT, if I did , I would carry a extra mag .I love the the Sheild I have .And, I will probably be buried with it .

·
Registered
543 Posts
They might be years late in your opinion, but they will still sell millions of them. The Sig P365 was first announced in early 2018. Hellcat in late 2019. You know it takes a company at least a year if not 2 years from initial concept to launch date?? And before that even starts, they're going to first gauge the market and see how the competitor model is faring, and how the consumer market is reacting to it. Then once they decide to compete against it, they go to work. Smith had to design a mag that would work in the existing Shield footprint, same mechanical internals (to keep the infamous reliability) and not make us guinea pig testers like Sig did to everyone. I'd RATHER it be like this than an entirely new gun brought to the table. They had make a design that would get around Sig's patent. And they are a public, for profit company, so of course they are going to try and wait so they can sell as many 2.0 Shields as possible before introducing another Shield of this magnitude. They don't want to cannibalize product lines. And with the record breaking surge in gun sales in 2020 I'm sure this led them to delay the launch as they knew they could sell tons of guns without having to release a new one. Sure it would've been nice if it came out a year ago but I'm not complaining. Now with all of the above in mind, it should be quite obvious why this is "years late". I wouldn't be surprised if Smith delayed the launch date by up to a year due to the unprecedented demand for firearms in 2020, they didn't need to release anything. People were and still are buying anything they can get their hands on.
Excuse me, while I call BS on the guinea pig tester lie. If you read this forum, you will see a large percentage of threads with people looking for solutions to problems for the only "new design" S&W has had in a long time the "SHIELD ez".
Fact, on this gun they copied what other companies did years before, that is so easy even Stevie Wonder can see it. Nothing new, just "same old same old".

But "hey lets feed the same old product to the dummies that didn't buy until its a panic", that will certainly create return customers. Once folks learn the 1.0 gun they just bought new is old, guess what company they won't look to for their next gun.

Guaranteed you're wrong! There's dozens and dozens of hands on reviews on YouTube pouring in, and some very prominent and respected shooters who shoot tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of rounds a year. Word is that the trigger is does not suck and is quite nice. Flat faced trigger, 4-5 lbs pull weight (which many reviewers are getting less than 5 lbs on a trigger gauge) and a solid reset, I'll take that all day long for a factory trigger! Yet somehow you can guarantee me that the new trigger sucks...hmm...okay guy...this isn't a custom 1911. Hell even the die hard Glock guys who didn't like the original Shield are loving the Shield Plus. The trigger has always been a sour spot on the Shield, lame rest on 1.0, better reset on 2.0 but still the hinge trigger design which the majority if people did not like (I don't mind it and actually prefer the Shield hinged trigger to the regular M&P hinged triggers). So it's obvious the trigger is a controversial topic, and if the trigger sucked, we'd certainly be hearing that.
Look at all the posts on this forum claiming the 2.0 trigger is great, look at you tube claiming the the 2.0 trigger is great. You don't know what you don't know until you know it. Fact the 2.0 trigger sucks, just like this new one will. you tunbe is full of people getting paid to spew "greatness" about products so folks like yourself will run out blindly and buy it.

What planet are you living on? The 2.0 stipple job is hands down one of the best grip textures on the market of any factory gun. It is very widely praised by many of the top shooters in the scene. It is vastly superior to the 1.0 grip texture as so many users have proclaimed. The 2.0 texture was a welcome change from the 1.0, people love it. It really is one of the best factory stipple jobs on the market and that is a common opinion.
Some think the 2.0 grip texture is too aggressive for EDC, so I get why Smith toned it down a bit to not be as rough on the skin/make holes in shirts. I love the 2.0 grip texture but I know they did get a lot of complaints that it was too aggressive.
Again, this must be coming from someone that doesn't know what a great stipple job is. The 2.0 is half assed. They stopped and the bottom of the trigger guard (mag release area of the grip), it would not cost them any extra to go higher (there is a dent where your thumb rides, that area should also be stippled) but sheep don't realize the more of their hand on a rough texture means less movement. There is no undercut on the trigger guard, again sheep don't realize this is good for raising your grip as high as possible. There are no index points stippled between the trigger and slide, for your thumb on one side and trigger finger on the other, again sheep don't realize this is a good thing to have, because they blindly follow what paid people tell them is great.
The texture is fine, its the lack of complete coverage that makes it half assed
Again you don't know, what you don't know, until you know it.

The Shield WAS a $300 gun. Again what planet are you living on? Or what year are you stuck in? You can't find a 2.0 Shield with no thumb safety even close to that price. You'd be lucky to find a regular 2.0 Shield no safety for under $500 after tax/shipping/FFL fee. Here I'll even do the work for you: 022188872187 - Smith & Wesson M&P Shield M2.0 9MM 11808
$430 cash or $442 credit card is the cheapest one on the list, +$20 shipping, +tax, +FFL transfer, you're very close to or above $500.
The market sets the price and with the R&D, marketing costs, P365/P365XL costs, and insane demand for guns in general, this makes sense to me as an MSRP of $553, considering the street price of a 2.0 Shield no safety is close to $500 if not more. You also seem to be forgetting that a newly released gun is always going to be high at first and will naturally come down in time. Remember when the Shield 1.0 first came out? They were so hard to get a hand on and were selling out instantly. Same with the P365. And again, the insane demand for guns in general right now, especially carry guns, this should be obvious.
I bought a shield 2.0 for my neighbor who was raped in August of 2020, she couldn't afford a gun so I "gifted" it to her. It was bought from a local shop for $339.00. If you are so petty you want to say $339.00 is NOT a $300 gun, I'm done as there is no talking to somebody like that.
My uncle bought a 2.0 compact in November of 2020 for $359.00, once again new gun but it was at a dealer in another state, but it was still a $359.00 gun to anybody local.
I saw a WASR priced at $1009.00 a few days ago, are you going to tell me because stupid people aren't smart shippers that WASR's are 1K guns, that is hilarious?

Again I think the stipple job on the 2.0 is great. Personally I love the aggressive texture and carry it against my skin all day long for years and never had an issue. The vast majority of people love the 2.0 stippling over the 1.0 so I think you're in the minority here. I mean literally dozens of the biggest shooters in the industry have repeatedly said that the M&P 2.0 stipple job one of their favorites out of all manufacturers. You may not like it but again you're in the minority here.
Fix the action? The 2.0 action and reset is fine. Either you've got a lemon or you need to shoot more. I've taken multiple day long classes and I've outshot many Glock boys and 1911 guys with my 2.0 basic Shield, only thing I added are Ameriglo sights that I add to every handgun. Seriously, "the action is horrible" LOL WHAT!?

Strike 1, Strike 2, Strike3 huh? Bro you didn't even make it to the ball game!!🤣

If you don't like it then that's totally okay buddy, you don't have to buy it. The Shield whether 1.0 or 2.0 is still one of the best carry guns on the market and you can't go wrong. But it sure feels like a lot of the haters really deep down they know they want the Shield Plus but are just bitter that it didn't come out when they wanted it to and at the price they want it to be at. That's fine, but let's be realistic here. Gun prices aren't what they used to be and aren't going to be for a long time. You don't have to buy it, you do you. Hell wait until it's been out for a few years and they have another mail in rebate going.

Smith had to catch up to Sig/Hellcat, and now Ruger has their version (Max 9) which released the same day as the Shield Plus. Consumers want that stretched out capacity and now they got it.

The funniest part about all of this is that if Smith NEVER released the Shield Plus, people would still be complaining that Sig/Springfield/Ruger all released high capacity models to compete with the 365, but S&W never did! What the heck S&W! Get on with it already!! Why can't you make something to compete back?!

And now that they did release one, (that the consumers have been wanting), people are still complaining! LOL! Some things never change!
Over the last 6 years several instructors have said that my Gen 1 M&P was one of the nicest S&W's he had seen in a class (so i have an idea of what good actually is). It was done correctly even before the 2.0 released.
Had S&W released something with more capacity that was different from the other companies guns, most of us would be impressed, instead they did nothing more then add their name to the same type of gun that has been out for multiple years. BIG DEAL!

I have a buddy with a 9# shield .45 trigger.
The neighbor discussed above shield 2.0 trigger is just over 6#
My uncles 2.0 compact was the grittiest trigger I've seen in a long time until we replaced it.

Mine is just under 5#, smooth as butter with minimal movement to reset, I've yet to see a factory trigger check those boxes. So I don't expect 1911 type triggers, since its a different setup. I expect "something great" to be just that "great". If any company can make it better for $75.00 that isn't great.

As to your comment of them selling millions. PSSST: I'll tell you a secret, HiPoint has sold millions of guns. Are we going to call those great because they sell so many?

The one good thing I can say is the action on the shield line is easy and cheap to replace, unlike the 365.

When people like yourself are being fanboys and saying this is a great accomplishment, when in reality it isn't. Nothing will get better. Demand better sooner and they will be out in front, not the janitor in the rear sweeping up.

My EDC, competition gun, BUG and truck gun are all S&W. I like the brand, but am not a fan boy willing to settle for mediocre offerings as "new or great" when they aren't. Sig got "new" when they were the first to market, SA got "great" when they released one with higher capacity. S&W again gets, meh for releasing what others already did years before. Your speech above about why it takes so long is flawed because yet again, they are nowhere near being ahead of the competition. There is no arguing that.

So again, there are your 3 strikes.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Super Trucker agree to disagree. The hate is just hilarious because consumers have been wanting capacity to compete with 365/Hellcat etc, now we got it and people still complain anyway. And again if Smith never did anything about it, those same people would still complain that Smith never got off their ass and made something to compete with 365/Hellcat/Max 9...

On pricing, sure you can find deals here and there but come on man, that's the exception and certainly not the norm, the vast majority of Americans were not paying those prices if they could even find a gun at all. Every shop I went into the shelves were sparse, and nothing lasted more than a day, so let's not be disingenuous on pricing. I lost track of how many people said "I got gun X because it was all they had" and then I winced when I heard how much they paid for it.

On the Shield EZ....Apparently the Shield Plus is literally the same slide, frame, and internals as the regular Shield with the exception of a wider magwell. The true test time will tell if the reliability on the Shield Plus is any different from the regular Shields, but it looks promising. I will concede that a big factor in reliability is the gun's magazine and magwell design, and this is a new magazine design we are talking about. One of a few reasons why I am not getting a Shield Plus in the near future. I already have a great 2.0, and it's more than enough for my needs.

I think the 2.0 Shield trigger is more than fine, and I like it more than the regular 2.0 M&Ps, but I get why some people dislike the hinged design. My takeup, wall, break, and reset has always been very clear and pronounced in both my 1.0 Shield and 2.0 Shield, both standard Shields. Maybe I got lucky.

Saying the 2.0 stipple job sucks is an opinion just as much as saying it's good is an opinion. But whether you like it or not, it's widely known that the 2.0 stipple job is well received by the majority of users...so if you really think the 2.0 grip texture just outright sucks, then that's a personal problem, not the grip itself. If you read this forum, and talk to M&P owners, you will see lots of people really like the 2.0 stipple job. And many, myself included, think the 2.0 stipple job is one the best of any factory handgun. It just GRIPS! Taking classes with it in the heat of mid summer with my hands covered in sweat, the 2.0 grip texture stays put in my hands. I agree with you it could be better with higher up stippling and a deeper undercut on the trigger guard, but to me it's splitting hairs at that point. Yeah it would certainly be nice, but it's not a huge deal for me, at all. Go dremel it out some if it's that big of a deal for you, but the difference would be negligible, and we're really nitpicking on it at this point. It's not perfect but it's pretty damn good. I've never once found a factory stipple job that was absolutely perfect, and there never will be one because people are so different from one person to the next. What one person likes another person hates. This will never change.

All of your gripes about stipple job and trigger, either you need to shoot more, or you expect a factory production line gun to be custom hand worked gun... Again, maybe I got lucky with my Shields and you had bad luck with yours, but... :unsure:

All that being said I'm not a total fanboy. The Shield is a great gun and I like seeing these additions to make it even better, but 3 things that really annoy me about the Shield Plus:
1. Still no rail
2. In order to get the optics cut version, you have to buy one with their shitty optic included so they can overcharge you for an included crappy optic. We're going to be seeing lots of crimson trace optics on ebay this year....
3. No useable front slide serrations. Now I don't think front slide serrations are an absolute necessity, and I believe they are often overrated, but at this point it's 2021 and by now they should have incorporated useful slide serrations as seen on the law enforcement only models here... especially since nearly the entire market has voiced how unuseful the current M&P front slide serrations are.

Those reasons are why I'm not rushing out to get the Shield Plus. My 2.0 is running just fine and I can shoot it lights out, it's such a fun and pleasant gun to shoot for how small and easily concealable it is. The odds that I will need to use it in a self defense situation are slim, and the odds that I will need more than 7+1 rounds is even slimmer.
Honestly I'm leaning more to the P365 XL than the Shield Plus, because of the rail and optic cut. But I'm not going to complain about the Shield Plus, they took a great gun and made it better. Is there more they could have done? Of course, and that's always going to happen, they are a business and are going to try and stretch and milk everything they can as long as they can. Get used to it, you should be by now.

·
Registered
543 Posts
@jawman
To be clear, there is no "hate". I'm pointing out complete disappointment with the multi year wait for blah, nothing new. Yes they have more capacity, but at this point, so does all the other major companies.

The rest I think if you read close enough we are on the same page.
We agree the grip texture is fine but the stopped short of a complete job, hence my " half added" comment.

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Super Trucker ok so the 2.0 stipple job is 90% amazing, 10% assed, not half assed 🤣 I still think given how super grippy it is, the remaining unstipplied portion doesn't bother me at all, but that's just me mate!!

We can disagree on the 2.0 trigger, but I still think it's a big stretch to say it outright sucks. Again my takeup, wall, break and reset on my 2.0 are fantastic, but I have shot it a lot. The hinged trigger is bad especially if you have big fingers and your finger sits near the top of the trigger, you won't be able to press at the right angle to disengage the trigger safety. It doesn't really affect me, but I can see how others don't like it. So based on my 2.0 trigger, everything about it is great so since they added the flat faced trigger with the trigger shoe safety and got rid of the hinged design, that's why I think the new trigger will be awesome.

You're right all the other companies have more capacity, which is why S&W absolutely had to do something to stay on par. They couldn't not do anything and just sit there while the other companies were already across the finish line. They'll milk this for a while and eventually we'll get a Shield that has all the features we want. Give it a few years LOL!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Fails to excite me on two points. First you can only get the optics cut on the most expensive performance center model with other options I don't want or need. Optics cut should be standard across the board. Second, they went half assed on the best factory offered grip texture of the M2.0. It's like they don't really pay attention to the market.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Bikebit

·
Registered
238 Posts
I wish they didn't tone down the grip texture and should have just kept the 2.0 texture from before. If people think it's too rough, they should have just included a piece of sandpaper that comes with the gun! Lol!
However I have heard from a few different people who just bought the Shield Plus and also own the 2.0 Shield. They said that the new Shield Plus grip texture is still pretty aggressive, but I guess I'll have to see once I check it out in person.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Fails to excite me on two points. First you can only get the optics cut on the most expensive performance center model with other options I don't want or need. Optics cut should be standard across the board. Second, they went half assed on the best factory offered grip texture of the M2.0. It's like they don't really pay attention to the market.

I disagree on the optics cut across the board.

All my slides with RDS were milled and the hole was cut to the size of the sight.
The generic cut the factory does leaves better quality sights loose (a Trijicon RMR is shorter front to back than Vortex sights on full size guns, the foreign made mini sights are the same). Plus sitting on a plate raises the sight.

So, "a little high and a little loose", should be the description of a hooker not a gun sight.

I'll continue to buy no optics cut so I can have them mounted properly.

The cost is peanuts these days for milling. You don't even need to refinish the slide if you don't want to.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I disagree on the optics cut across the board.

All my slides with RDS were milled and the hole was cut to the size of the sight.
The generic cut the factory does leaves better quality sights loose (a Trijicon RMR is shorter front to back than Vortex sights on full size guns, the foreign made mini sights are the same). Plus sitting on a plate raises the sight.

So, "a little high and a little loose", should be the description of a hooker not a gun sight.

I'll continue to buy no optics cut so I can have them mounted properly.

The cost is peanuts these days for milling. You don't even need to refinish the slide if you don't want to.
There are two platforms that are becoming somewhat universal for pistol mounted red dot sights. The RMR footprint for compact and larger sized pistols and the Shied RMS cut for subcompact pistols. There are optics from many price and quality points available in these two platforms from multiple manufacturers. These two platforms are rapidly becoming the industry standards. The PC Shield Plus is cut for the Shield RMS, as are the Hellcat, and P365. There are various companies offering aftermarket slides with these cuts as well.. Direct mount with no adapter plates. I agree with you that direct mount is the best way to go. I had my Shield .45 cut by Primary Machine for the Shield RMS and have used both Shield and Holosun optics on it.

A proper gunsmith cut even without refinishing costs around $160 plus two way shipping and at least two weeks turnaround time. I also had a "reputable" shop screw up a cut on a Glock slide then refuse to reimburse me for the issue or try to fix it. Adding the cut during slide manufacturing is way less money and doesn't effect factory warranty. Even Glock is starting to offer dedicated slide cuts in the MOS 3. I would prefer to have a reliable plug and play factory option.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I have the RMRcc on my 365, the only reason I don't have the 365xl is the factory cut won't work with Trijicon without adapters/plates, that's why I had the 365 cut a couple months ago. I guess I'm lucky I walk into the shop a couple miles from my house and say when can you do xyz to my slide, then I come back at that time and have it done while I wait.

Now that Trijicon released their smaller sight, I won't buy foreign sights for a gun that I use to defend my family with, plus Trijicon is local to where I live, American made.

The factory optics cut for the rms shield sight to me makes the slide useless. If that is "the standard" I guess I'll be buying stock slides and having them milled forever.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I will be getting one myself, I have the 9mm single stack the .40 S&W and the .45 Shield and since I have holster for them I want have to buy another holster, well I probably will get an owb.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I will have to stick with my Taurus G2C PT-140, a 40 S&W in the same dimensional package as the G2C PT-111 9 MM. It doesn't seem like it is hard to handle, 10+1 of 40 instead of 12+1 9 MM. I am not a fan of a external safety, but this one works well.

Wife has a Hellcat. 14 round magazines

·
Registered
543 Posts
I will have to stick with my Taurus G2C PT-140, a 40 S&W in the same dimensional package as the G2C PT-111 9 MM. It doesn't seem like it is hard to handle, 10+1 of 40 instead of 12+1 9 MM. I am not a fan of a external safety, but this one works well.

Wife has a Hellcat. 14 round magazines
Wow

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'll have a look at the Shield plus. I very much like my 2.0 Shield and it's my EDC. I also have a Glock 48 that is my secondary. I'm not overly concerned about the additional rounds in the magazine with the plus, I'm more interested in the slightly larger grip but it's going to have to be a substantial change in feel for me to move away from my 2.0.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts